How to stop overeating! HELP!

Options
Guys, I always get that urge to eat and eat, how does one stop! Also, I over eat when I'm mad or sad. And I don't overstuff on the good stuff but heavily overprocessed food. Also, i have to eat until my stomache is in pain. I don't know when to stop. Do I have a disease? D:

Replies

• Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Here is a really helpful article on how to stop a binge: http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=tips_how_to_stop_a_binge

I also find Katie's blog really helpful: http://www.runsforcookies.com/
    She lost over a hundred pounds and has maintained the loss for a while now and she still occasionally has problems with binge eating.

You could have binge eating disorder, but it's totally manageable. Consider talking to a therapist about it. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/binge-eating-disorder/DS00608
  • larosita57
    larosita57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Binge eating can definitely fall into the disorder/disease category. I agree that you should try to get some professional advice. In the meantime, recording your food intake on MFP can really help you stay accountable to yourself in terms of food consumption. It sounds like you know what the problem is, you just need some help with getting on track to recovery. Often with overeating, there are other issues going on that are causing the problem - depression, low self-esteem, sexual abuse, etc - that also need to be treated along with the eating issues.

That said, you can do it! There are a lot of people on this site who have started with serious weight, health and eating issues, and have been able to make amazing changes. You can get a lot of support here.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    How about throw away all the bad stuff and stock up on healthy stuff...that way when you binge atleast it's on healthy stuff. That could be a start. There are things that are healthy for your that are good like fruit.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I find cooking the food advance really helps pack in a tupperware box store in fridge that way you just take it out and tick in microwave eat and you can do your food blog advance bt 1 week that way you know what to eat for today it will help
  • sterphy
    sterphy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this most of my life, and still do at times. I think that planning ahead is the best way to prevent any binging.

Is there a particular food you cannot put down once you start? For me this is any kind of salty snack food ie: popcorn, chips, even hummus and pita chips. I refuse to let myself have any of these snack foods in my house.

When I make dinner, I make sure to make a HUGE portion of veggies on the side (at least a whole bag of frozen) so that when I'm done eating and get the urge to binge (usually two hours later) I have something healthy and filling.

It's all a mental game. You vs you. If you are determined enough and take precautions, you can beat it!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Hypnosis.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Once I started logging everything I ate, it was no problem to cut back.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The day I joined this site and logged everything and made myself accountable I stopped binge eating. Sometimes I crave things... but you will get stronger than those cravings.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Guys, I always get that urge to eat and eat, how does one stop! Also, I over eat when I'm mad or sad. And I don't overstuff on the good stuff but heavily overprocessed food. Also, i have to eat until my stomache is in pain. I don't know when to stop. Do I have a disease? D:

Chew on ice... this is what I'm always told to do.
  • HeatherSanto
    HeatherSanto Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You may really appreciate this article:
    http://santofitlife.com/overeating/
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary and logging it honestly helps.

Weighing and measuring the quantity helps, and log it before you eat it. Logging BEFORE is a huge point because instead of just stuffing your face you can't help but think about the calories and for some reason, knowing how many calories helps take the fun out of the binge.

Good luck. This is a battle only you can fight, but you can win. I used to be an emotional eater, too, and now when I want to do that, I get the "I'll be damned if I'm going to screw my diet up because of _______!" That's a very healthy mindset and I no longer have this problem. You can get there, too, but you have to want it and want it bad.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    obama+with+duct+tape+over+mouth.jpg
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Here is a really helpful article on how to stop a binge: http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=tips_how_to_stop_a_binge

That's actually a decent article.
  • nharder1
    nharder1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this most of my life, and still do at times. I think that planning ahead is the best way to prevent any binging.

Is there a particular food you cannot put down once you start? For me this is any kind of salty snack food ie: popcorn, chips, even hummus and pita chips. I refuse to let myself have any of these snack foods in my house.

When I make dinner, I make sure to make a HUGE portion of veggies on the side (at least a whole bag of frozen) so that when I'm done eating and get the urge to binge (usually two hours later) I have something healthy and filling.

It's all a mental game. You vs you. If you are determined enough and take precautions, you can beat it!

You vs. You. This is spot on! It is def. a mental game. You will get the mind set and will power in time. Everyone still has those "days" where we all want to stuff our face. You can still have those days, but just make sure you get right back on track.
  • sterphy
    sterphy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There are support groups at MFP to help as well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/743-binge-eating-support-group
  • 88Genesee
    88Genesee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It takes time.

One way that helped me was to start writing, as a release of energy rather than eating it.

I also drink a lot of water. When I get cravings, I drink water. Normally the water intake allows me time to determine if I am really hungry or I have something else going on. I am rarely without water nearby. Water is usually within arms lengths at any given time.

Your worth the effort.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Water.

Apparently a huge portion of the population can't tell the difference between thirst and hunger.
  • 88Genesee
    88Genesee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    BTW, I forgot my best strategy. I plan my meals. I identify one day of the week to plan meals, one day of the week to shop and one day to cook. These are all three different days.

For me, I plan my meals on Thursday evening, since it is the best time I have to think about the following week and look at some of the sales/coupons. I do my grocery shopping on Saturday after breakfast or lunch, to ensure I do no impulse purchasing. Sundays I cook all of my meals for the week.

This strategy my not be the best for everyone, but it works for me. You just have to try different approaches until you find what works for you.

Smooches!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I am really glad I read this tonight.
    I have only been calorie counting for a week. today i was way under my calorie allowance as i was too busy to eat lunch. I had enough left over for a whole bottle of wine. well, you can imagine what has happened. i have drunk a bottle of wine, (which took me to -3 calories for the day) then ate a whole packet of wine gums, then 4 slices of bread with lo cal cream cheese. If I hadnt read this post i would of probably carried on.
    I know I will be back to my 1200 calories tomorrow, and I have learned that I need to avoid wine!!

I think my problem, as well as binging, is that when I do well, I feel like I need a reward, and a full belly has always been my reward.

thanks and good luck to us all!!
    Karen
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    This may sound like a cliche, but recognizing your triggers is important. Looks like you have done that. Then concentrate on replacing that behavior. Like everyone says, you can do it. You have already begun.