Any barefoot or minimalist footwear runners out there?!

Options
I have decided to go barefoot after many years of shin splints, achilles tendonitis after runs and the like. I do own vibrams but admit to having suffered slight exuberance the first couple of goes I had previously. According to running shops and their measurements I over-pronate and I have always had to have deep tissue/sports massage on my calves when I run. I am wondering if there are any other experienced barefooters or minimalist footwear runners out there, to share experiences, advice and funny moments perhaps. I do have the book by Ken Bob Saxton and Roy Wallack as a reference. I walk around bare footed when I am not at work, etc, always have done, hate shoes and slippers for the most part - they hurt my feet.

Replies

• ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I've gotten to NB minimus trail shoes - still have a little heel-to-toe drop, and a standard looking toe box, but relative to most shoes are pretty minimal. I don't pronate, though, so I don't know how that part of the transition works for pronators.

I ran with my training partner all the way through a 16 week half marathon program - I was in Saucony's version of the nike Free (significant heel-toe drop but again, less than what was popular a few years ago), he was in NB minimus. It always bugged me how slow he moved on downhills - I liked to really open things up and fly, taking advantage of gravity. But he was moving a few extra pounds and I have respect for his knees, so I'd reign it in and stay with him. The day of the half marathon, the course has a two mile long, steep downhill, and he's plodding along and I want to fly and it was so frustrating...

After the race I started using the pair of NB minimus I'd bought the week before as we recovered - all of a sudden, I can't fly the downhills like I'd been used to - the difference in padding has forced me to adjust the way I move downhill. Since then I've adjusted a little and can comfortably take advantage of gravity again, but that first downhill we did together in my new shoes he definitely mocked me appropriately :D

Oh, and my calves and ankles ACHED the first two weeks. I adjusted happily, but man, my ankles were weak.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options

Oh, and my calves and ankles ACHED the first two weeks. I adjusted happily, but man, my ankles were weak.

Yes, I found my calves, ankles and the bottom of my feet ached the first time I ran with no cushioning. It has eased off since and I have adjusted to landing softly now on the balls of my feet, I no longer heel strike at all and that has helped tremendously with speed and other injuries I used to suffer from. Running has always been a challenge but I now look forward to it...
  • lap012165
    Options
    I love my minimalist shoe. I bought the Brooks Pure Flow and couldn't be happier. Out of the box and my first run was a 3 miler and I had no problems what so ever. Already bought another pair since I'm doing a 11 mile trail race this weekend and have no idea what the damage will be if it rains. Brooks has 3 minimal shoes. Pure Flow, Pure Cadence and Pure Connect. I can't say enough good things about this shoe. Try on all three and see if any of them work for you. I got mine at Academy.

Good luck and I hope this helps....

A fellow runner.....
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I run barefoot. I just completed the philadelphia marathon barefoot. I saw several other runners in minimalist shoes during the race but I did not see any other barefooters.

My advice is to start slow. I started running 1/8th of a mile and built up from there. Once at 1 mile I increased in 1/2 mile increments til 3 miles. From there I did not worry about tmts.

Don't listen to the naysayers about glass and needles. Just watch where you are stepping. You would step on those things in shoes either would you? Worse thing I ever stepped on was a dead frog. I was running with my dog and was watching her and did not see it. Gross.

Good luck
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would like to run in minimalist shoes. But, for the past 15 years or so, I have had plantar fasciitis, off and on. I need to wear Superfeet insoles, with their arch support. I don't think that the supports would work in minimal shoes.
    But I love the idea of it and think everyone who can should try it!
  • AEFidgets
    Options
    I just got a pair of vibrams and am making the transition. I wear them to work (dog walker) and I. A week or so will start running in them.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I have done it both ways, but found that varying my everyday shoes has done more for me than anything. Before kids, I was always in heels. After kids, I was always in Converse. I had shin splints, Achilles issues, knee problems, you name it. Now, I have no problems. I wear heels about half the time.

I also focused more on form while running and stopped with the heel striking. Faster than ever, and injury free.
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have been running in Merrell Barefoots for 2 years now. I started out in VFFs and hated them- I have ridiculous curled pinky toes and it messed up my proprioception too much, so I ended up banging up my pinky toe too much. The Merrells I love! I run in the sneaks and work in the Mary Jane casuals.
    There's a lot of great websites out there for starting up in the barefoot style. I was already up to 4 to 5 miles per day in regular sneaks, but the advice is to start out really really slow to avoid injury. They really mean it!! My (ex) boyfriend got stress fractures in his feet from pushing the training too fast. I saw some good advice above about that.

I started out walking barefoot a lot, then running in the grass barefoot. Once I got the Barefoot shoes life improved a lot. Your feet will toughen up.

Here's something neat: I was a "super pronator" and had flat, flat feet my whole life. No arches at all. They always recommended these ridiculous shoes with tons of gel and support and huge heels. I had shin splints, knee issues and my hips always made thunderous pop noises.
    Two years later, I HAVE ARCHES!!! My feet are super strong, my ankles too, no shin splints, and my hips finally stay put. My lower body is in much better alignment. i go faster and farther than I ever could before. I run lightly and easily. I love it so much.

:D
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I use Vibrams on pavement and will occasionally switch back to Nike frees when I overdo it there, but I strongly prefer running barefoot. I'm near the beach so I run in the surf for added resistance and it feels great. The only problems I've had was in the beginning with my calves and ankles and bruising the balls of my feet on longer distances. I always had weak ankles but they eventually strengthened up. I also squat and deadlift in Vibrams or barefoot depending on the gym rules. I'm flat footed and under-pronate, have wide feet, and frankly I've never found another shoe that actually fits (including the Frees).

And I'm with macdiver on the BS about stepping on things. If you watch you're fine. Just looking forward to the day when my callouses develop enough where pavement won't be a problem.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I run and hike in Vibrams. I do most other workouts barefoot. I would love to try running barefoot, but I live in the country and between cactus and sharp rocks covering the road.....
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I be a minimalist runner.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I love my minimalist shoe. I bought the Brooks Pure Flow and couldn't be happier. Out of the box and my first run was a 3 miler and I had no problems what so ever. Already bought another pair since I'm doing a 11 mile trail race this weekend and have no idea what the damage will be if it rains. Brooks has 3 minimal shoes. Pure Flow, Pure Cadence and Pure Connect. I can't say enough good things about this shoe. Try on all three and see if any of them work for you. I got mine at Academy.

Good luck and I hope this helps....

A fellow runner.....

I echo this poster. I ran in VFFs for about a year and loved them, but started having pain in my left foot when I increased my mileage training for a half marathon. I transitioned to the Brooks Pure Cadence and fell in love! I have two pairs now and rotate them. No shin splints (which caused me to get the VFFs). Calves get tight and need message but that's common with minimalist shoes. Good luck!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I switched to Vibrams about a year ago mostly for hiking but also for my regular walks and jogs. It completely eliminated all my back, ankles, hammies, knees issues. I LOVE them. I will never ever go back to a pair of regular running shoes. I love my trek sports!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Don't go to minimalist shoes cold turkey. You will run differently and you need to ease into it. http://naturallyengineered.com/blog/couch-to-barefoot/

This is one of my favorite books. It's not specifically about barefoot running but it makes a case for it. http://strengthrunning.com/2010/05/born-to-run-chris-mcdougall-ultra-runner/
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    yeah, that *kitten* gave me some serious plantar facitis. I don't know how to spell that, but it sucks and hurts, and takes forever to heal-- no pun intended.
  • TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have Merrell Trail Gloves or whatever they are called and VFF's. I do use both but I am still gradually getting my feet use to them as it takes time!
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i have small feet with high arches and a tendency to overpronate. i've had great luck with my vibram bikilas. had them for a few months now and alternate them with a traditional (minimal-cushioning) shoe. i find it easier to control my stride and footfall in the barefoot shoes than in a regular shoe, and my feet are just generally less sore/fatigued after a run. i also notice less back pain & tightness in hamstrings/calves when i wear my vibrams vs. my regular shoes. for me, the vibrams were a great investment. i love them and would absolutely recommend you try them.

as others have mentioned, ease into it--because i was running in a lightweight, minimal-cushioning shoe before, i didn't notice a drastic difference in the way i felt after my first few runs in them, but i did feel different muscle sensations and end up with a bit of soreness throughout my thighs, calves and ankles as my body adjusted.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I just switched over minimalist running shoes for the first time and love them. Takes a bit to get used to, but for me I no longer have the swollen knees for 2-3 days after a long run like I did with regular running shoes. I use the Merrill trail runner shoe and I couldn't be happier with the change.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, they have been very helpful. I put off my first barefoot run last night as I had an awful headache and was not sure how my feet would take the cold. Will try this afternoon, nice and sunny out now.

About the proprioception, yes I had trouble with vibrams and my big toe, kept stubbing it, in the gym, when running and even walking at first. I realise that easing into it is the best thing or the ONLY thing to do, as the calves, ankles and feet have to adjust to the new running style. My first two attempts with vibrams were rather painful, but it is my over enthusiasm to blame, not the shoes themselves.

My family think running barefoot is madness, the usual glass and stones and sharp things on the pavement and road come up all the time. But having read others' experiences, the injuries from sharp objects is rare if at all. Just have to keep eyes peeled a few inches in front of feet (I fell off my bicycle last year, breaking my right hand, so I am more cautious in looking out for obstacles than ever in any case).

I am excited!!!
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Just have to keep eyes peeled a few inches in front of feet.

I am excited!!!

I tend to look about 5 to 10 feet ahead to give me time to adjust my path. Keeping my head up also helps with my posture while running.