Compulsive Eating?

Options

Replies

• Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I realize I misread chocolate chip cookies when you actually said chocolate chips; same premise holds, please read in the correct food :-)

Ha! I read Chocolate Chip Cookies too. I even had a Chips Ahoy vision.

I would say a once in a while thing is not a big deal. When you can't stop, or if you do it emotionally, there might be a problem. I struggle with compulsive eating when I feel really down and when I'm unhappy -- I can relate.
  • Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Is eating an entire bag of chocolate chips over the course of several hours considered compulsive overeating, or is that within the range of "normal" eating behavior or not? This isn't a regular thing, I might do it once a month or less, and I'm not overweight.

However, I can't have sweets at home because I will literally just keep going back and eating them until they are gone. Do I have an eating disorder, no will power, or just a crazy sweet tooth? I will only do this with chocolate... not any / all foods.

I can't keep sweets in the house either because when I get moody I get into them and then figure what the heck and eat more and then...
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    I think that most people have a vice or something that they get their hands on and can't stop eatting whether it's cookies, chips, booze, ect. The difference with compulsive eating is usually it's high amounts of food in a little time, so say 12 cinnamon rolls in 20 minutes. A lot of times a compulsive eater will "hide" what they are eating too, or make different trips to different fast food drive-thrus to get their "fix" but not be judged by going to the same one. I'm no expert by any means, but I think you are okay, regardless of being 'fit' or not, an increase in large amounts of sugar can have other problems, just as too much salt or alcohol. An occassional, "OH MY GOSH I ATE ALL THAT" moment, you are probably good especially since you realize what you did isn't the ideal way of eatting! :)
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Chips, not cookies. The OP said a whole bag of chocolate chips. That's a lot of chocolate...

Yeah, probably a ten ounce bag, whereas the typical chocolate bar maybe probably 2 ounces. So, like five candy bars in a day.

That's a ton, but not clinically insane behavior like eating broken glass.

Don't none of y'all act like you haven't had 5 full size candy bars in a day!
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have wondered this myself, I struggle with the same behavior. From a mental health point of view I think the important question is how much does the behavior impair your functioning, and what purpose is that food serving - clearly not nutrition/fuel because chocolate chips are empty calories and no one needs a whole bag for fuel. If you feel like the behavior is impairing your ability to function in life, it is really making you unhappy to the point it is disruptive, then yes, you have a problem that you should probably address. But that line is different for everyone. The other aspect, what purpose is food serving, is something you may have insight into. For me, it is comfort and 'reward' especially when I'm overwhelmed. Wish I had a clear answer, but I can tell you you're not alone!
  • Idka81
    Idka81 Posts: 42
    Options
    Sugar aids in the release of serotonin in our brain which is a "feel-good" chemical. Addictions to sugar have been likened to drug addictions in the way that they affect our behavior and cause us to compulsively return for more. If you find that you can't stop yourself, try quitting processed sugar entirely for a while, and turn to things like fruit and healthier, high-protein foods instead. Much like quitting smoking, it will be tough at first, but after a week or two it will get easier.
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Chips, not cookies. The OP said a whole bag of chocolate chips. That's a lot of chocolate...

Yeah, probably a ten ounce bag, whereas the typical chocolate bar maybe probably 2 ounces. So, like five candy bars in a day.

That's a ton, but not clinically insane behavior like eating broken glass.

^---THIS!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Please excuse me if this is rude, but I find this question pretty damn stupid and a bit offensive. There are people that have actual eating disorders and feel completely out of control in terms of their consumption of food. Eating a lot of cookies is one thing. Like the Lays ad says, there are some foods where you "can't have just one". Our bodies are programmed to want fat, salt, and sugar and we crave those things.

The idea that you might have disordered eating for devouring a bag of something monthly, is pretty ridiculous and I think makes light of people who actually do struggle with food on a daily basis. Perhaps I am being sensitive because I have struggled with disordered eating and my mother is a diabetic who is currently attending Overeater's Anonymous meetings because she can't seem to control her binging even though it's killing her. However, please do think before you type. Disordered eating is a serious issue and comparing it to a case of the munchies or a sweet tooth trivializes it.

Yeah, you're being insensitive.. this coming from a bulimic.

OP, some people (including me) would consider the occasional overeating as completely normal. People eat because it taste good, because they are in good company, because it's Thanksgiving and grandma only cooks your favorite dish once a year, etc. Yes, even eating a bag of chocolate chips over the course of the day could be normal. The thing to be worried about is how often you overeat this way. Are there any emotions associated with your days of overeating? Do these days extend into several days or even weeks of overeating? Do you feel out of control while eating? And if so, do you feel guilty? Do you purge, restrict calories, take laxatives, or exercise excessively to rid yourself of guilt and/or calories?

The key is guilt. A normal intuitive eater can eat an entire bag of chocolate chips and only be amused with the craving before continuing on with the next meal. A disordered eater (and by disordered, I don't necessarily mean you qualify for an eating disorder) eats the entire bag of chocolate chips and feels guilty and ashamed.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've recently become aware that I have this same behavior, OP. I'm interested in what others have to say. My behavior does result in bad emotions, bad physical feelings, and, or course, obesity. So... BUMP. :)
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Please excuse me if this is rude, but I find this question pretty damn stupid and a bit offensive. There are people that have actual eating disorders and feel completely out of control in terms of their consumption of food. Eating a lot of cookies is one thing. Like the Lays ad says, there are some foods where you "can't have just one". Our bodies are programmed to want fat, salt, and sugar and we crave those things.

The idea that you might have disordered eating for devouring a bag of something monthly, is pretty ridiculous and I think makes light of people who actually do struggle with food on a daily basis. Perhaps I am being sensitive because I have struggled with disordered eating and my mother is a diabetic who is currently attending Overeater's Anonymous meetings because she can't seem to control her binging even though it's killing her. However, please do think before you type. Disordered eating is a serious issue and comparing it to a case of the munchies or a sweet tooth trivializes it.

OP, some people (including me) would consider the occasional overeating as completely normal. People eat because it taste good, because they are in good company, because it's Thanksgiving and grandma only cooks your favorite dish once a year, etc. Yes, even eating a bag of chocolate chips over the course of the day could be normal. The thing to be worried about is how often you overeat this way. Are there any emotions associated with your days of overeating? Do these days extend into several days or even weeks of overeating? Do you feel out of control while eating? And if so, do you feel guilty? Do you purge, restrict calories, take laxatives, or exercise excessively to rid yourself of guilt and/or calories?

The key is guilt. A normal intuitive eater can eat an entire bag of chocolate chips and only be amused with the craving before continuing on with the next meal. A disordered eater (and by disordered, I don't necessarily mean you qualify for an eating disorder) eats the entire bag of chocolate chips and feels guilty and ashamed.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You might want to check to see if its TOM when you do this eating. If you know its coming then you might be able to get it out of the house. I find that even if I am not hungry, there are times where I will eat everything to where I am almost sick and its usually a few days before my TOM. Just a thought.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Is eating an entire bag of chocolate chips over the course of several hours considered compulsive overeating, or is that within the range of "normal" eating behavior or not? This isn't a regular thing, I might do it once a month or less, and I'm not overweight.

However, I can't have sweets at home because I will literally just keep going back and eating them until they are gone. Do I have an eating disorder, no will power, or just a crazy sweet tooth? I will only do this with chocolate... not any / all foods.

You don't have the patience to make them into cookies?
  • RobynLB
    Options

Well, yeah, I feel guilty and anxious after eating a lb of chocolate... isn't it normal to feel kinda bad for not having self control? In the past I might have felt like I needed to go for a 10 mile run to work it off, but I can kind of just roll with it now. And, yeah, it feels out of control in the sense that I'm telling myself to stop but I feel like I can't... short of throwing the rest in the trash (and I mean literally dumping the contents in the trash so that it's inedible and irretrievable.) So maybe I was playing it down a little in the initial post...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Guilty as charged. I could do more than that actually, if it's chocolate. :blushing:
  • RobynLB
    Options

You don't have the patience to make them into cookies?

It's funny you say this, because that's why I bought them to begin with. In the end, I couldn't make cookies because I ran out of chocolate chips. Just as well... would have just ended up eating all the cookies.
  • RobynLB
    Options
    You might want to check to see if its TOM when you do this eating. If you know its coming then you might be able to get it out of the house. I find that even if I am not hungry, there are times where I will eat everything to where I am almost sick and its usually a few days before my TOM. Just a thought.

TOM is worst! I am so hungry and my cravings are awful.
  • RobynLB
    Options
    Sugar aids in the release of serotonin in our brain which is a "feel-good" chemical. Addictions to sugar have been likened to drug addictions in the way that they affect our behavior and cause us to compulsively return for more. If you find that you can't stop yourself, try quitting processed sugar entirely for a while, and turn to things like fruit and healthier, high-protein foods instead. Much like quitting smoking, it will be tough at first, but after a week or two it will get easier.

I think this makes a lot of sense. There may also be something to the addiction myth about chocolate because it has unique chemical compounds. And with drug addiction, you have to keep upping your does to get the same high... so that might explain the increase in quantity over time... I've tried to switch from chocolate to straight cocoa powder with some success...
  • rocuf
    rocuf Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

Edited by funkyspunky872 on Tue 12/04/12 12:49 PM

Beautifully put!
  • sunnyinaz78
    Options
    I think this is a great question and issue to bring up! I did the same thing last night with trader joes cashews, almond, cranberry and dark chocolate mix. Even though I separated it into 1/4 cup baggies, I still kept going back for more with no control! I am feeling a lot guilty today, but I'm going to own it, log it and move on!
  • rocuf
    rocuf Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great question and issue to bring up! I did the same thing last night with trader joes cashews, almond, cranberry and dark chocolate mix. Even though I separated it into 1/4 cup baggies, I still kept going back for more with no control! I am feeling a lot guilty today, but I'm going to own it, log it and move on!

Best way is to log it and make better choices going foward.