What is your favorite tasty hot tea?

Options
DJ2120
DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
But plain black tea does nothing for me & green tea always tastes like I need to add something to it to make it taste better. Any suggestions on just a nice tasting tea that doesn't need any additives? I know green tea is a great antioxidant so even a rec for a better tasting green tea would be great. TIA!

Replies

• gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    There are so many different flavored teas out there! Some of my favorites are The Republic of Tea's Blackberry Sage black tea. Same brand has some other yummy ones I like - a chocolate ginger and a chai blend. I like Tazo teas also, Wild Sweet Orange is a good "herbal tea" (or tisane). I just bought their new holiday blend, but haven't tried it yet. Stash teas have loads of different flavors of black, green, and white teas and tisanes as well. My youngest daughter likes their peach black, middle daughter likes their chai blends (of which they have quite a few), and my son prefers a rooibos tisane. I'm generally not a fan of green teas, but really like Zhena's Pink Cherryberry blend. It's very flavorful.

My favorite places to buy good loose teas would be Harney and Son's, Upton Tea, Stash Tea, and Jasmine Pearl. You can order online from all of these tea purveyors.

The key to a good tea, though, is proper brewing. If you steep it for too long, it will get very acidic. For most teas and tisanes, you bring fresh, cold water to a boil and as soon as it boils, remove the kettle from the heat. Pour the tea into your cup over your bag or infuser with loose tea leaves, and let it steep for about 3 minutes, certainly no longer than 5. Remove the bag (without squeezing) or the infuser without pressing down the leaves.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    During the day, I enjoy Jasmine Tea.

During the night, I enjoy Earl Grey Tea.

Plain. No cream, milk, sugar, honey, etc.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Bigelow Red Rasp Herbal Tea
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Red Tea...African Roobois or something like that. It has a hint of sweetness, so I can actually drink it plain or with a touch of almond milk, and it's sweet enough to satisfy a 3PM sweet craving.

And I'm a Southerner, so you know we like our tea sweet.
  • mzajmitchell
    Options
    organic white tea or oolong tea is tasty:) right now im drink yogi detox peach tea not to bad
  • losinglbslovinglife
    Options
    I love lemon tea.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I too like the orange flavored teas, also this time of the year apple spice or a Christmas blend with cinnamon. I add nothing else, occasionally 1/2 packet sweet n low, or splenda, but that is rare.

ETA: recently I had a sweet tooth and no calories left and had a mug of hot water and lemon, surprisingly it was warm and satisfying.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Rooibos Karmell that I bought in Germany or a black tea/hazelnut/caramel blend from a local tea shop.
  • SWilland
    SWilland Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Love tea! I'm a fan of loose leaf but will dring the bagged variety. Like above poster mentioned brew time is important. Here is a time table from Teavana (my fav tea shop)

teachart2.png
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    I like thai tea (its great hot too!) and what is called chai tea (which I recently learned is like saying tea tea haha!). Tazo brand makes chai, but the thai tea I buy online. Just add a little milk and stevia or honey and its great! They are both spiced black teas, I really love them! Also, any orange or raspberry teas taste fruity and great, and if you live in the southwest near a mexican market, hibiscus tea (called jamaica in spanish) is also wonderfully fruity and not at all water tasting, though it is usually had cold.
  • IronGirlShae
    IronGirlShae Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Stash brand has many yummy teas. Their spiced chai and holiday chair are my faves. A packet of splenda or two and maybe a little skim milk. YUM! I have metal Contigo brand bottles that keep my tea warm/ice cold for hours and they don't spill. Perfect for taking with a workout.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    apple cinnamon tea! its delicious even with no calorie sweetener :)
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Apple Cinnimon - OMG! It's sweet and you don't put anything in it!
    I always put more cinnimon or a cinnimon stick because it gives that extra kick and it's a fantastic fat burner :)
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    I just tried Twinings Christmas tea yesterday, and I am in love with it.
  • Pema10
    Pema10 Posts: 13
    Options
    Great brewing directions!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Mmmm tea. Just a few in my drawer right now:

Jasmine
    Mint
    Rooibos
    Chocolate Rooibos
    Chocolate Caramel Chai
    Vanilla
    Rose
    Peach
    Honey Chamomile
    Licorice

Black tea and green tea are fine, but I like a wide variety of flavors. Quality helps too - I'm not a fan of Lipton, and I prefer loose leaf.
  • gingerb85
    Options
    I like thai tea (its great hot too!) and what is called chai tea (which I recently learned is like saying tea tea haha!). Tazo brand makes chai, but the thai tea I buy online. Just add a little milk and stevia or honey and its great! They are both spiced black teas, I really love them! Also, any orange or raspberry teas taste fruity and great, and if you live in the southwest near a mexican market, hibiscus tea (called jamaica in spanish) is also wonderfully fruity and not at all water tasting, though it is usually had cold.

Haha! "Chai tea" is a pet peeve of mine for that very reason! I think people mistakenly believe that "chai" refers to the spices, when that would be "masala." http://www.adagio.com/chai/masala_chai.html
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    Love Good Earth Sweet & Spicy tea! I drink that one during the day a lot. Also love most brands of Earl Grey, and if that's too strong for you, try Lady Grey. Peppermint tea or Vanilla Chai in the afternoon! Chocolate Chai is also great for curbing cravings. :)
  • gingerb85
    Options
    Mmmm tea. Just a few in my drawer right now:

Jasmine
    Mint
    Rooibos
    Chocolate Rooibos
    Chocolate Caramel Chai
    Vanilla
    Rose
    Peach
    Honey Chamomile
    Licorice

Black tea and green tea are fine, but I like a wide variety of flavors. Quality helps too - I'm not a fan of Lipton, and I prefer loose leaf.

I have a tea drawer, too! Actually, my tea collection has spilled over to a second drawer. My children tell me I need a 12-step program for my tea addiction! I also have a collection of teapots and infusers.