In need of a turkey chili recipe

Options
Hi there everyone! I am looking for a chili recipe with turkey, and not a lot of canned stuff used. I just want a really homeade tasting chili. Does anyone have a recipe like that? Please let me know. I wanna go to the store soon.

Replies

• CasablancasTX
    Options
    1 package 99/1. ground turkey
    1/2 onion, minced
    3 Teaspoons/cloves of garlic
    3 Tablespoons chile powder
    1 Teaspoon cumin
    1/2 Teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
    1 10oz can Rotel chopped tomatoes with jalapenos
    1 15 oz can tomato sauce
    1 15oz can black beans, rinsed
    1 Cup Water
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    Directions

Brown and break up turkey in plain pan and drain of excess fat. Chop 1/2 onion (or more if you like) and add to turkey along with garlic, chile powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
    Add chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce and water. Bring to a simmer. Turn down to low and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. Add black beans and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
    Best served with a sprinkle of cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

Yes, it has canned ingredients in it, but you can make your own tomato sauce, use dried beans and add fresh tomatoes. It's delicious.

Serving - 1/4 pan: Cals: 304, Fat: 4, Carbs: 27, Protein: 40.
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I have a good turkey chili recipe but its made with cans and you wanted fresh but just in case you want to try it..you make it in the slow cooker...5 hrs on high...

1 lb Ground Turkey (16 oz) Cooked
    1 Can (28 oz) Crushed Tomatoes.
    2 Cans Light Red Kidney Beans (15 oz each)
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    2 stalks chopped celery
    2 TBLS chili powder ( you can use more if you prefer)
    1 TBLS Onion Powder
    2 TBLS Paprika
    1 TBLS Garlic Powder

Cook the ground turkey until crumbley in the pan. Strain and put in crock pot. Add other ingredients on top of turkey in crock pot and stir. Cook 5 hrs on high. It makes 8 servings of 1 cup each.

calories...231
    carbs...24
    fats..9
    protein..16
    sugar..6
    sodium..442
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I use 2lbs ground turkey, beef or pork or any combination of the 3...

these liquids...
    • soy sauce - 1/4 cup
    • liquid smoke - 2 tbsp
    • worcestershire sauce - 2 tbsp

these spices...
    • chili powder - 3 tbsp
    • garlic powder - 2 tbsp
    • comino - 1 tbsp
    • onion powder - 1 tbsp
    • salt - 1 tsp
    • pepper - 1 tsp
    • cayenne pepper - 1 tsp
    • paprika - 1 tsp

• tomato paste - 8 oz can

and last...some yellow mustard or cinnamon...to taste...

I also add kidney beans and pinto beans (1) can of each, but you can leave the beans out if you want...

I brown the meat first and try to remove as much of the grease as I can...and the liquid ingredients and let the meat simmer for a few minutes...

Then I start adding in the spices...I mix it all up really good...then add the can of tomato paste and about 8 oz of water...and finally the beans if you are using them.

The water I will add a little more if it doesn't look like it's enough but usually 8oz works great.

Good luck.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite recipe. Really easy to make and tastes so yummy. Great to freeze in individual portions. Only canned ingredients are beans and canned crushed tomato. I usually add extra garlic and peppers and carrots sometimes corn.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fantastic-black-bean-chili/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=turkey black bean chili&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JayElleOh
    Options
    bump
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Love this one! You could easily make this on the stovetop rather than crockpot as well. I made this for me and my boyfriend and he never had a clue there was pumpkin in it.. it's very good!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crockpot-turkey-white-bean-pumpkin.html
  • mloucks83
    mloucks83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Here's a twist on traditional chili:

Turkey, Pumpkin & White Bean Chili

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
    1 ½ lbs ground turkey
    1 ½ cups chopped onions
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1 cup chopped green bell pepper
    ¾ cup each diced celery & carrots
    1 ½ tbsp chili powder
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp oregano
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
    2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
    1 can (540 mL) no salt added diced tomatoes undrained
    1 ½ cups canned pure pumpkin (not pie filling)
    1 can (540 mL) no salt added navy beans, drained and rinsed
    2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
    1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice

Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add turkey, onions and garlic. Cook and stir until turkey is no longer pink and onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Break up any large pieces of turkey as it’s cooking.

Add green peppers, celery, carrots, chili powder, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper. Cook for 1 more minute. Add chicken broth, tomatoes with their liquid and pumpkin Mix well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in beans and simmer 10 more minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve hot.
    Makes 6 generous servings.

Per serving (1 ½ cups): 330 calories, 10g total fat (2.6g saturated fat), 29 g protein, 34g carbohydrates, 11g fiber, 92 mg cholesterol, 396 mg sodium
  • ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Love this one! You could easily make this on the stovetop rather than crockpot as well. I made this for me and my boyfriend and he never had a clue there was pumpkin in it.. it's very good!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crockpot-turkey-white-bean-pumpkin.html

This is my favorite one, too! I make it all the time and the whole family loves it!
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    1 lb ground turkey
    3 tbsp olive oil-divided
    1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
    1 red bell pepper, diced
    1 green bell pepper, diced
    1 yellow onion, diced
    1-2 jalapeno pepper, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    12 oz beer or stock
    28 oz can crushed tomatoes
    1 can no salt added black beans
    1 can no salt added pinto beans
    Ground cumin--to taste
    Chili powder--to taste
    Salt & Pepper--to taste

In a skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil and infuse with the chopped chipotle peppers. Brown turkey in this chipotle olive oil, S&P and set aside. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and saute peppers, onion and garlic until soft (about 5 minutes). Season with S&P. Deglaze pan with beer or stock (if using beer, let the alcohol burn off before adding the other ingredients) Add tomatoes, beans and browned turkey. (do not drain the beans). Stir to combine. Season to your personal taste--I use about a tbsp each of cumin and chili powder. S&P to taste. Simmer about 30 minutes. You can omit the turkey to make this vegetarian or vegan.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    *whisper*

If you're making a traditional flavored chili (cayenne, cumin, chili powder, garlic and onion)....
    Add in some freeze dried coffee granuals, and cocoa powder....not a lot of either, but it gives a deeper and more mellow flavor....