Healthy Snacks?

Options
I was at the grocery store last night and bought the same old snacks. Mostly nuts and low-fat cheese. But I'm bored with those. I get my fruits and veggies as part of my "regular" meals.

I need ideas for healthy snacks. What do you eat?

Replies

• gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hummus and veggies! Yum! Carrots, cucumbers, slice bell pepper, sugar snap peas would be my favorite dippers.
  • blondeski
    Options
    Hummus and veggies! Yum! Carrots, cucumbers, slice bell pepper, sugar snap peas would be my favorite dippers.

I have this as a snack and its really filling. I make the hummus on a Saturday or Sunday, cut up all the veggies I will want for the next 3 days, and whenever I am hungry for a snack I just go to that.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I have this as a snack and its really filling. I make the hummus on a Saturday or Sunday, cut up all the veggies I will want for the next 3 days, and whenever I am hungry for a snack I just go to that.
    [/quote]

Wait, what?! make your own hummus? help please. This sounds delish. Thanks.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Wait, what?! make your own hummus? help please. This sounds delish. Thanks.
    [/quote]

^^^ recipe please!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Why low fat?
  • corderdeb
    corderdeb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Why low fat?

Because otherwise, I'd be filling up on chocolate. (GRIN)
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Edamame, I make sure I have plenty of pre-prepared stuff around the house like veggies I can eat raw. :)
  • awesome_inferno
    awesome_inferno Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Fiber bars...120-140 cals
    1 serving Imitation crab meat dipped in a little spicy mayo....120 cals
    Hummus on a bagel thin 150 cals
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Some other choices for snacks that I do are Greek yogurt... fruit... veggies... nuts and seeds... V8... I typically have 3 snacks between breakfast and dinner... I have tried to get away from the idea that lunch is somehow different than the two other meals that I have between breakfast and dinner... brunch, lunch and teatime are all meals to me or snacks depending on view point. I try to keep all three around 200 calories and a good balance of carbs, protein, and fat.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Why low fat?

exactly - and if you said you're snacking on nuts, those aren't exactly low fats. they are high in healthy fats.
  • emmuci
    emmuci Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Well, let's see some snacks i have:
    yogurt, usually with fresh berries
    a smoothie
    fruits
    guacamole with a bit of whole wheat crisps, the healthy ones or whole wheat toast
    a small veggie salad
    sometimes i just drink a big tea :) i love tea and it fills me up
    :smile:
    try out a tomato, feta and lettuce salad with a little bit of olive oil and some sunflower seeds, yum! One of my favorites :smile:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Low fat?

You mean high carb/sugar "diet " yogurts? with no fat and added sugar to replace it?

Why not snack on an oz of nuts.... or some celery and peanut butter. Cheese and crackers. Veggies/ fruits. Pop corn. Etc.

Who cares if they are high fat or not? Fat and protein leave you feeling full for a long time. It's good. =)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Edamame, I make sure I have plenty of pre-prepared stuff around the house like veggies I can eat raw. :)

kind of high in fat.

ummm..
    rice cakes
    popcorn
    oatmeal (instant comes in tons of flavors)
    granola bars
  • corderdeb
    corderdeb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Why low fat?

exactly - and if you said you're snacking on nuts, those aren't exactly low fats. they are high in healthy fats.

Good point. I like a snack between 100-170 calories.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with fruit
    wasabe peas
    dehydrated fruit-no sugar added
    deli-sliced meat wrapped in cheese

I don't snack much, sorry. I usually eat fruit and nuts, but you already do that.
  • calajane
    Options
    I snack on rice cakes they fill me up nicely (though not as well as say carrots).
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    -greek yogurt with fresh fruit or dried cranberries
    -kashi granola bars
    -cheerios (dry)
    -rice cakes and almond butter
    -apple sauce (sugar free)
    -malba toast with goat cheese and canned peppers (OMG)
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I hate hummus, so these are my stand-by's:

At Halloween time, I begged for my neighbours' pumpkin seeds for roasting, and I'm still snacking on them.

Next best thing: Oven roasted chick peas sprinkled with garlic powderl....yum.

I also crave sweets, so Fibre 1 Brownies for all of us chocoholics...100 cals. ea.

For the chip lovers: Special K cracker chips - 100 cals for 17 (I think). Soooo good!

Mix Philly light cream cheese with cut-up Buddig meat (90 cal. pack), garlic powder, and a splash of Worcestershire sauce - makes a nice spread for Melba toasts and Rice Thins.

Orville Reddenbacher Smart Pop popcorn - 100 cals/ small bag - I sprinkle seasoned salt on it for flavour.

Fat Free Snack Pack puddings - 100 cals.

Thin plain bread sticks - nice crunch, dip in Dijon or regular mustard for a kick.
  • _KATzMeow
    _KATzMeow Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    yes, hunnus with pita chips, fantastic
    oops hummus
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky. Nice lean protein. High in sodium though, so if this is an issue for you, skip the jerky! :)