How much are you willing to spend on family for Christmas ?

Options

Replies

• Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Spend all the money!

What are you getting me?!

I promise to not delete you this month!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    welllll

i would rather they buy themselves gifts instead of buying me something i don't like. same goes for me, i would rather buy myself something i know i will love than get something for someone that they say they "like" but won't ever use. exceptions are little things i KNOW they will like but i just really dislike getting something that i don't like.

like someone previously mentioned i would rather spend time with family and i would rather give them "gifts" of food
  • __F4t2f1t__
    Options
    0. I've decided to spend all my hard earned money on myself this Christmas.
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    I only have to get my kids and my daughters bf gifts, but I'd say I spent about $700 for each kid and $250 for the bf. It didn't seem like that much at the time, but it adds up quickly.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's a tight year.
    My daughter will get most of it, since my son is getting a buttload of ninja turtles.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Ok, something is fishy around here.....

I ONLY buy for my kids, and one friend that I have always exchanged small gifts with....

So, for my friend, it's usually around $20

However, I spend about $800-$1000 on each of my two kids.....

And I feel they do not get much for Christmas compared to a lot of their friends, that are getting iPhones and the like.

What do you normally spend on your kids?

I mean seriously, just an outfit and some socks and underwear is like over $100 each, then there is about $50 per stocking easy....then the 'big gift" which is normally $100-$200.....and then all the little things, like books and board games etc.....
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Family - 100 to 200 per person (the mothers usually exceed the 200 limit, though)
    Kiddo - whatever we end up spending (this year is was about 250 bucks. Thank you, Black Friday)
    Husband - Generally double to triple what is spent on the kiddo.

ETA: The husband got a giant promotion this year. This isn't the norm. Also, we save for the holidays.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If I don't get an Xmas bonus I'll spend $100 on each of my 3 kids (2 adult boys and a daughter in law), $50 for my Mom and my boyfriend and I have already decided on $150 for each other. Our family also does a $15 adult grab bag gift. And for my nieces and nephews I'll give them each $20 cash. If I get a xmas bonus then Christmas then I'll probably spend more on everyone....I love buying gifts and having a nice yummy decadent spread along with a well stocked bar on xmas eve :drinker: !
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    No set $ amount. Just getting them what they want.:bigsmile:
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    No one in my family has much money so we keep it low key and focus on food and spending time together with a few small gifts.

Mom - usually about $50-$60
    Brother - he never gets me anything but I will get him some beer as a thank you for giving me rides for groceries occasionally (even though I usually give him gas money or take him for dinner I know it is an inconvenience).
    Grandma - $10-$15 - she gets mad if we spend more than that on her. Chocolates or wine usually.
    Roommate - will buy him some beer.
    Best friend - not sure if we are doing prezzies this year but if so $20-$30
    Dad - Scotch
    Stepmom - no idea, something small. She doesn't like much, is sensitive to bath products, doesn't like chocolates, doesn't wear earrings...so probably another scarf or something like that.

My cats get extra cat treats ;)
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    No set $ amount. Just getting them what they want.:bigsmile:
    ^Oh, and this.

Example: One BIL wants a bunch of sweaters. Got him a bunch of J Crew sweaters at the outlet, spent 60 bucks.
    The other one (who is ALWAYS babysitting my kiddo for me, because he's awesome) has been wanting a Blu Ray player for a while. So, we got him a PS3. Just all depends on what they want.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Spend all the money!

What are you getting me?!

I promise to not delete you this month!

Good enough..
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Holy Cow I'm a cheapskate compared to some of you guys!

Single, no kids. So all I have to buy for are my parents, 2 sisters, 2 grandmas, and my aunt and uncle on my mom's side.

Generally between $30-$50 for my parents and siblings. $10-$20 for the grandmas and aunt and uncle.

Even though I spend around the same amount on supplies this year... everyone is getting homemade gifts... Charm bracelets with coins from all the countries each person has been to for my mama, my sisters and the one grandma who likes to travel... A book my sister and I put together with all the coins from places my dad has been to... (and since he was a Navy Brat growing up, and then was in the service himself was like 30 countries! Jealous!) Necklaces for my aunt and the other Gma. Haven't decided about my uncle yet...
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

I ONLY buy for my kids, and one friend that I have always exchanged small gifts with....

And I feel they do not get much for Christmas compared to a lot of their friends, that are getting iPhones and the like.

I mean seriously, just an outfit and some socks and underwear is like over $100 each, then there is about $50 per stocking easy....then the 'big gift" which is normally $100-$200.....and then all the little things, like books and board games etc.....

That was the standard in my family as well...and thats how my brother and sister do it with their children. I don't have any kids so I just spoil my mom and husband.

How does an outfit cost that much? I went to Bealls department store a while back and with all their sales, promotions, etc (NOT during a holiday or black friday) I purchased 3 pairs of shorts, pair of pants, socks, an umbrella, and 5 shirts for $50.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I spend about $100 on each of my immediate family members (mom, dad, and two younger sisters), & $100 on each of my two godchildren. $30-50 on my godmother and grandmothers, and about $300 on my fiancee (but sometimes more if I am buying an "experience" that I am going to attend too, like tickets to a hockey game). My best friend & I will usually book something to do together, like a show or a nice meal at a restaurant, rather than exchange gifts.

*Edited for clarity.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    1. parents and grandparents: $70-100 approxamatly.
    2. Sisters and Brothers: $50.
    3. gift exchanges : dad side: $30 mom's side: $25. [those are set limits though]
    4. neices and nephews: no limit. what ever i wanna get them! or what ever they want.

id buy my cousins stuff, but, theres 95 of them total plus three on the way. and thats just on my mom's side.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Siblings - $0, cuz they suck
    Dad - whatever the market cost is of the tropical fruits he loves me to ship up
    Mother - $0, hate mail is free
    Friends - $0, what are those?
    Kids - $0, since they were flushed

ETA: Merry Christmas.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    it depends. our extended family get together on christmas eve and do a steal a gift, each person has to come with one present valued at $50

i spent $20 ea on my dad and brother, and splurged on my mom got her a $60 present. and to my inlaws i send a $20 hickory farms gift box ...

so around $260 total..
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what we are spending or have spent for Christmas. We are almost done with shopping though. I know I am. I think my wife may be too.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options

That was the standard in my family as well...and thats how my brother and sister do it with their children. I don't have any kids so I just spoil my mom and husband.

How does an outfit cost that much? I went to Bealls department store a while back and with all their sales, promotions, etc (NOT during a holiday or black friday) I purchased 3 pairs of shorts, pair of pants, socks, an umbrella, and 5 shirts for $50.

Son: Pack of men's underwear - $20
    Pair of Jeans: $50
    Nice shirt: $20
    Pack of socks from big and tall: $15

Daughter: Pack of ladies underwear: $12
    Socks: $10
    Pair of jeans: $50
    Nice shirt: $20

My kids are 14 (son) and 16 (daughter)

Stuff is not cheap.....