find the nutritional value from restuarants that don't post

Options
I can google and compare, but there are just some restaurants out there that won't show you what their nutritional values are. How would I go about getting it? Do I have to call corporate or something?!?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I generally eat at independent places, not chains, and have zero chance of getting nutrition info. I just look up something similar in the database and choose that. Even when you have the info, it isn't 100% accurate so don't worry about doing some educated guessing.
  • ezwryder
    Options
    I generally eat at independent places, not chains, and have zero chance of getting nutrition info. I just look up something similar in the database and choose that. Even when you have the info, it isn't 100% accurate so don't worry about doing some educated guessing.

I do the same. With a little practice you can break out a dish into its components, e.g. approx this much chicken, about that much rice, etc., BUT the drawback is whether a dish has other stuff lurking in it like butter, etc. So after figuring out the base components and entering those, I add a little fudge factor on top to account for the other potential calories. And, it's a guesstimate. I don't get too stressed if it isn't exact. That approach has worked well enough!
  • sr_maggie
    sr_maggie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I usually find something close in the database as well. If the restaurant has fewer than 20 locations, they are not req'd by law to provide nutrional labeling. I was pretty frustrated when I asked a local place and they didn't have the info, thinking that everyone had to. I found the info regarding the law at the FDA website:

http://www.fda.gov/food/labelingnutrition/default.htm
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Well fortunately this is changing. One of the provisions of "Obamacare" is that all restaurants will have to list the nutritional value of their foods (plus delis, bakeries, etc....).

Doesn't do you much good right now, but that'll change over the next year as it is implimented.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I look for a restaurant that serves a similar item.
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options

This. Even at chain restaurants that DO post, entrees can be off by several hundred calories. The folks in the kitchen usually eyeball ingredients rather than weigh them out and follow exact measurements.

What's interesting - as of a couple of years ago, I thought all restaurants with five or more locations were supposed to make their nutrition info public. However, there are several big chains that don't, including Buffalo's Southwest Grille and Cracker Barrel.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding. It's harder to be accountable when you don't have a number to locate. I tried to borrow similar recipes from other restaurants - but like someone said - a lot of times there are those hidden ingredients you just don't know about.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding. It's harder to be accountable when you don't have a number to locate. I tried to borrow similar recipes from other restaurants - but like someone said - a lot of times there are those hidden ingredients you just don't know about.

If it's any consolation, when nutritional values are available, they're probably off anyway.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Well fortunately this is changing. One of the provisions of "Obamacare" is that all restaurants will have to list the nutritional value of their foods (plus delis, bakeries, etc....).

Doesn't do you much good right now, but that'll change over the next year as it is implimented.

Oh, joy. If this is true, then I will be sad to see my local cafe close down for lack of funding. :frown: :cry:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    When the new taxes kick in, who's going to be able to afford to go out and eat?
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Its the law in California so not an issue. Moreover, nearly every restaurant in America posts nutritional values online. If they do not then don't patronize them. Find what you want elsewhere.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Its the law in California so not an issue.

Isn't California broke? I don't think that was a good example.
    Moreover, nearly every restaurant in America posts nutritional values online.

No, they don't.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Best guesstimate, enjoy your meal, and work out in the morning. :)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

I don't think this is true. My understanding of SEC. 4205. is that chain restaurants with over 20 restaurants must disclose nutritional information.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Its the law in California so not an issue. Moreover, nearly every restaurant in America posts nutritional values online. If they do not then don't patronize them. Find what you want elsewhere.

For every restaurant in California? Because when I was there in September I ate at a lot of places who didn't have nutritional information on the menu or readily available (and could not find a website for them). Unless you have to ask, which I don't care that much to do.

I like to support local places... sometimes they don't even have a website so I'm not sure how they post nutritional values on line. I'm not going to stop going there over nutritional values when I can guess. I'm losing weight so I must not be guessing too bad.

Besides local places, I've had problems with some chain places not having nutritional values online. I did notice my local McD's put the calories on the drive thru board. It's kinda nice (although I try to look up info before I go out to eat).

ETA: Californa law is chain restaurants with 20 or more locations in California. That makes more sense then every restaurant.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

I don't think this is true. My understanding of SEC. 4205. is that chain restaurants with over 20 restaurants must disclose nutritional information.

That's my understanding too. In doing a quick google search, the federal one reads just like the California law with one exception: CA states 20 or more locations in CA, while federal just states 20 or more doing business under the same name.
  • GoldenGopherDad
    GoldenGopherDad Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am always wondering this....thanks for asking...and thanks for all the great ideas everyone. Now I have a game plan! :)
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    If you don't go out to eat often, just use it as a cheat meal and forget about trying to get exact calories.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I do the same. With a little practice you can break out a dish into its components, e.g. approx this much chicken, about that much rice, etc., BUT the drawback is whether a dish has other stuff lurking in it like butter, etc. So after figuring out the base components and entering those, I add a little fudge factor on top to account for the other potential calories. And, it's a guesstimate. I don't get too stressed if it isn't exact. That approach has worked well enough!

Go with this and always add a little extra to account for the hidden butter and oils.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

This. Even at chain restaurants that DO post, entrees can be off by several hundred calories. The folks in the kitchen usually eyeball ingredients rather than weigh them out and follow exact measurements.

What's interesting - as of a couple of years ago, I thought all restaurants with five or more locations were supposed to make their nutrition info public. However, there are several big chains that don't, including Buffalo's Southwest Grille and Cracker Barrel.

Omg I love Cracker Barrel. I haven't eaten there in a while, though - not since I started logging. I had no idea they didn't have their info! I'm going to have to switch eating their to my cheat day only now. :(

But better to have this info now than not. Thank you!