Eliptical pain

Options
I love the eliptical and I love the calorie burn I get on it. However, every ten minutes or so I have to get off and walk around and wiggle my toes because my feet go numb. I have tried positioning my feet different and getting inserts in my shoes and neither worked. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone else had this happen?

Replies

• Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I get this too. When it happens, I just start going backwards because I have to pick up my feet in a different way and it goes away.

Also make sure your shoes aren't too tight on your foot. I was using my Nike Shoxs and bought a pair of Puma trail running shoes, now the problem is like 85% better.
  • Jerbear03
    Options
    Very common...I asked the trainer at my gym. He said its becasue all of your weight is on the front of your feet. He suggest going backwards. I curl my toes up when it happens and it makes it go away
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    Options
    I too, use the eliptical about 3 times a week. I try to work thru the pain (all good because I know it's working) that it causes. Your body is trying to tell you something by the pain. Try switching it up a little. Try only doing the eliptical every other day. Try adding in pilates or an exercise tape tape to keep your body guessing.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i get this with the bike. It was actually my socks were too snug.
  • Lisar97
    Lisar97 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. I also walk backwards or I try to press off the back part of my foot. It's hard to explain but I feel like maybe I was using the balls of my feet too much. I always figured I just walked weird or something because that same area feels like a rug burn when I am on the treadmill. Sometimes different socks have helped a bit.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time as well. I hate it! I've tried to push more on my heels than on my toes and it helps some. Like others have suggested, I'll switch back and forth between forward and reverse movements. (Plus it works your muscles differently that way.)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Ooh wow, me too! I'm doing the elliptical tonight so I'm gonna try curling up my toes like jerbear03 suggested and going backwards. I would say don't go backwards for long 'cause if you're trying to work your legs (like I am), going backwards works your butt :)
  • sendmoretigers
    Options
    my girlfriend had a similar problem and it was a shoe issue. maybe they're laced too tightly or the wrong size or perhaps you have pronation issues, over or under, and would benefit from shoes made to correct that. you could benefit from a trip to a running specific shoe store for some advice on that. (by the way, they won't be "special" shoes or any more or less expensive or anything, just a difference in how your foot is supported in them)
  • amygibson82
    amygibson82 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely try going backwards and possibly some new socks!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too! I've just been sticking it out. Going back words is a great suggestion! I'll try it next time.
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    So I have the same problem...what I do is I continuously move my feet while on the machine. That has seemed to help. If I don't move my feet at all then my toes will go numb. Try moving while on the machine and see if that helps. I have also noticed that since I've been on the machine for almost a year the numbness has gotten better.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    and i thought i was the only one!!! i thought it was my shoes or socks, but i changed them and nothing changed. now i switch between forwards and backwards every 5 minutes and that helps a bit. trying to move your feet around does help a bit as well and i wiggle my toes.
  • azbuddy4u
    Options
    I DO THE ELIPTICAL EVERY DAY AND SOMETIMES TWICE A DAY. I ALSO HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY RIGHT FOOT GOING NUMB. WHAT I FOUND IS IF YOU SHIFT YOUR WEIGHT SIDE TO SIDE AS YOU WALK HELPS AND ALSO LIFT YOU FEET IN AN EXAGERATED WALKING MOTION REALLY DOES THE TRICK AS WELL AS I USE A LIGHT WEIGHT CROSS TRAINING SHOE WITH A LOT OF CUSHION. HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS YOU.