Looking at starting Strength Training

Options
I've been trying to figure out how to increase my exercise level. I recently increased it to around 60 minutes of cardio (aerobics, biking, pilates, etc) at least 5 times a week. I want to add in some strength training but I'm not sure the best route to go. I have the book 8 Minutes in the Morning by Jorge Cruise and I've even started doing that program... a few times. Unfortunatly there isn't enough motivation (either in the book or in me) to continue with the program. :frown:

I was wondering if there was a simple plan/regimen that I could follow. I know it isn't recomended to work the same muscle group two days in a row. Currently I only own free weights - 2, 5, and 8 pounds. I've been checking the web and have found some ideas but I thought I'd ask the MFP experts. :smile:

Thank you...

Replies

• WildKatt87
    Options
    I'm no expert but when I was in the military we did upper body one day ( push ups, free weights, overhead arm claps, etc ) I know boring right. Then lower body the next ( Squats, Sit ups, Crunches * my fav because its lazy sit ups *, and my all time least Favorite and most effective.... Flutter kicks. )

If you want to do something that will build up your core muscles not your arms do those...

If you don't know what it is. lay flat on your back with your hands under your booty. Kick your legs slowly in a scissor motion like your swimming. Keep your chin to your chest and your feet must not drop below 6 inches from the ground. I usually go 20 Degrees to about 70 degrees and back and forth like that.

I suck at these and could barely knock out 20, 2 count even in the army. I hate HATE lower body exercise. probably why i am a terrible runner too :)
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You can get the book or DVDs from the biggest loser. They have a pretty good plan. You can also go to bodybuilding.com & check out Jamie Eason's push & pull days.