tips for maintenance?

Options
Any advice for maintaining your goal weight? Hopefully, in a few weeks I'll have to start doing this. I'm afraid that will be the more difficult thing than losing!

Replies

• SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for over a year now. I upped my calories, but kept everything else the same. I stick with my my same workout routine, and same type of meal plan, though I switch it up every few months. I also try to have one free meal a week. For me, I figure as long as I stay within a 5 pound range, then I'm doing good.

Good luck!!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Wow,,, interesting q'... I've reached a point where I'm very comfortable, and while I'm not technically 'on maintenance',,, I'm not really working that hard at weight loss right now. More interested in TCB and being healthy and well.

So what I've done was that I adjusted my settings to 1lb a week loss, and I kind of think of that as my baseline. Most days I log my 1st half of the day and kind of wing it a little in the evenings. I don't log every morsel anmore, I don't usually weigh my dinner (I don't go nuts either,,, after all this time I have a pretty good idea what a portion looks like - and I'm just a little generous, if I'm hungry).

Doing this I've been making just a teeny bit of progress and really maintaining well for over 6 months now without much effort. I did put about 5 pounds back on at Christmastime, but I got them right back off. Now I'm planning to really rock the exercise and get hard & lean for summer, but I'll no worry too much about the chow unless Mr. Scale sez 210 again.
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    ...another piece of advice I've learned....DEFINITELY throw out your old clothes that are too big. With a new wardrobe comes new standards. I know if my size 28 jeans are snug, I better check what I'm doing, and without having the comfort of 32's to "slip" into just for a couple days...which...as i can admit is the slippery slope back down, or up....it's a lot harder to slip. MY "fat" clothes are away in a box in the basement for when I get pregnant!hahahaha...that's the only time I intend to fit back into them!!!

Plus...they say "new" weight is much easier to take off than old weight....so I'm also not so discouraged because I know one week after I smarten up I already feel better. It's much easier to lose the 5 or 10 lbs you put on over a month, you'd be surprised how quickly it comes off, which is another motivator for me. Since I know I dont have to kill myself and be a weight nazi anymore, it's not as daunting to lose the extra couple pounds!
  • churchsinger
    Options
    Thanks for your good advice (and support).
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,610 Member
    Options
    On this my umpteenth time down a well-trodden, two way path, I am trying to focus on learning maintenance before I get there. So thank you for sharing your tips!

I'm keeping a blog of stories people are telling about maintenance. You can see it in my signature.