Looking for vegetarian recipes

Options
2»

Replies

• Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian but I love me some vegetarian recipes!

Made this one tonight...

Creamy Black Bean and Avocado soup
    1 hass avocado
    2 cans of black beans
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1/2 cup chopped peppers (I used red)
    2 cloves of garlic
    3 cups vegetable broth (I used chicken broth...lol)
    1 lime (squeeze the juice in at the end)
    1 small bunch of cilantro
    the following is all according to taste
    salt/ pepper
    cumin
    red chili flakes
    I sautéed the onions, peppers and garlic with a little spray evoo then added the beans, seasonings and broth. Bring to a boil then throw in blender to puree. add the avocado and cilantro at this time. Blend to desired consistency. Enjoy! My recipe came out to about 270 calories and 13g of protein for 1 1/2 cups of the soup. Makes 4 servings
    Blackbean2-1.jpg
  • himtar2434
    himtar2434 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am an Indian and strictly vegetarian.
    I highly recommend "tarladalal.com" website....it has 1000s of yummy vegetarian recipes.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    Here's a good one that will provide lots of fiber and protein for you. It's one of my favorites.

Spanish-style Beans

In a large pot, saute four cloves of minced garlic and one medium-sized chopped onion in about a tablespoon or two of olive oil. Then, add in about a handful of fresh, chopped cilantro, half of a chopped bell pepper, two cups of tomato sauce, one cup of kidney beans, two cups of black beans, two large chopped potatoes, a tablespoon of adobo, and two cups of water. Cook on low for about an hour until it's thick.

It's delicious served over rice.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I love Thai Tofu Curry. I just found some recipes on the internet.
  • jackems
    jackems Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian!

Last night I made a GIANT stuffed portobello mushroom cap.

Scrape the gills out and cut off the stem. Chop up whatever you want to put into your mushroom (I used roasted red pepper, spinach, and the stem of the mushroom). Heat some olive oil in the pan and sautee your stuffings. While your stuffings are softening, scoop cream cheese and bread crumbs into a bowl (I added pesto to mine too). After your stuffings are softened, mix them in with your cream cheese and bread crumbs. Then scoop this into your mushroom cap and sprinkle more bread crumbs on top. Bake it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 30 mins.

Tonight I made sweet potato, chickpea, and spinach burgers.

1/2 can of chickpea (drained), 1.5 tbs of mayonnaise, a cup of spinach, salt, pepper, dill, and a tbsp of olive oil into the food processor until everything sticks together. I microwaved a skinned sweet potato during this process. After the sweet potato is cooked (7 mins), I mashed it in a bowl. I then mixed the contents of the food processor into the mashed sweet potato mix. Form the burgers into 4 patties, wrap in foil, and place in the oven at 350 for 20 mins. Then remove the foil and heat the burgers for 20 more minutes. Flip, then heat for 10 more minutes. Serve on a bun :) Delicious!

I have a ton more recipes if you want! I LOVE being a vegetarian, it's a lot of fun once you get cooking!

Yummy, these recipes sound so delicious!

Another great site is fatfreevegan.com. Vegweb.com is a fantastic veggie/ vegan resource. Vegetarian Times has a lot of recipes on its website. As does VegNews. Though you should definitely check out the PPK, like somebody mentioned above. Isa Chandra and Terry Hope (the PPK creators/ founders/ vegan chefs extraordinaire) are sort of like gods in the vegetarian world.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Post punk kitchen .... all day long. Isa makes some fantastic recipes. (Vegan).

Portobello Pepper Stroganoff is da bomb! http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/1010/ (I don't use Seitan in it, just veggies)

I made the most amazing Taco Soup last night (Gluten free) from her recipe book Appetite for reduction. I would definitely recommend purchasing it on Amazon. One of the best books i've bought all year.
  • littlerobo
    Options
    wow Im so happy I found this site , I just started and never counted calories or took much notice of my food , now vegetarian and loving it , I will defo try these scrumptious recipes

thank you !!
  • Idka81
    Idka81 Posts: 42
    Options
    Check our the book "Plenty" by Yotam Ottolenghi. Not only is it a coffee table-worthy, beautiful book that your guests will drool over when they see it, the recipes are delicious and made from vegetables. One of the best cook books I own.
  • AnnaNoel_21
    AnnaNoel_21 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Still looking for more recipes. Please keep them coming!
  • EricaMBlakely
    EricaMBlakely Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Broccoli Fritters!

3 cups chopped broccoli
    1 large egg
    1/2 cup (65 grams) all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup (30 grams) finely grated parmesan cheese
    1 small clove garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more to taste
    A pinch of red pepper flakes or several grinds of black pepper
    Olive or vegetable oil for frying

Prepare your broccoli: Separate the florets from the biggest stem(s). Cut the florets into 1-inch chunks. To prepare the stems, I like to peel them, as the skin can be thick and doesn’t cook quickly, then slice them into 1/2-inch lengths. You should have about 3 cups of chopped broccoli total.

Steam your broccoli until tender but not mushy: Use whatever method you prefer. My quickie, lazy method is to bring a 1/2-inch or so of water to a boil in a small saucepan, then add the broccoli, place a lid on it and simmer it for 5 to 6 minutes. Drain the broccoli, then set it aside to cool slightly.

In the bottom of a large bowl, lightly beat your egg. Add the flour, cheese, garlic, salt and pepper. Then, add the somewhat cooled broccoli and, using a potato masher, mash the broccoli just a bit. You’re looking to keep the bits recognizable, but small enough (1/4- to 1/2-inch chunks) that you can press a mound of the batter into a fritter in the pan. Once mashed a bit, stir or fold the ingredients together the rest of the way with a spoon. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Heat a large, heavy skillet over moderate heat. Once hot, add a good slick of oil (I usually use a mix of olive and vegetable oil), about 2 to 3 tablespoons. Once the oil is hot (you can test it by flicking a droplet of water into it; it should hiss and sputter), scoop a two tablespoon-size mound of the batter and drop it into the pan, then flatten it slightly with your spoon or spatula. Repeat with additional batter, leaving a couple inches between each. Once brown underneath, about 2 to 3 minutes, flip each fritter and cook on the other side until equally golden, about another 1 to 2 minutes.

I tend to substitute Italian bread crumbs for the flour, and use minced garlic (in the jar) than cutting up a garlic clove.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and love cooking! I have a little food blog www.vegancajun.blogspot.com. Feel free to friend me if you wish.
  • AnnaNoel_21
    AnnaNoel_21 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ty everyone! It all sounds great! Can't wait to try :)
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Tonight I made black bean & sweet potato chili.

Skin two medium-large sweet potatoes and microwave for 3-4 minutes, so they're soft but still firm. heat up two table spoons of EVOO in a large pot. Saute roughly 1/2 - 1 cup of white onion and 2 gloves of garlic until the onion is golden. Add two cans of black beans, a large can of diced tomatoes, a small can of green chiles, a red bell pepper, and heat until they simmer. Season with salt, cumin, and oregano to taste. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, chop your sweet potatoes into bite size pieces. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.

This recipe makes about 6 servings

Serve with cornbread.
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Check out the "happy herbivores" group here on MFP, you might get some ideas, and surely will get some encouragement!