I need tips and tons of motivation!

Options
Hi my name is Ashley and I'm 18 years old, and a junior in high school
I weigh about 180 lbs, and I'm not very happy about it I don't quite know how I should start... What should I be eating? What was should I do to motivate myself to workout? What workouts I should be doing?! I want to reach my weight goal of 115- 120 by the time I graduate. I have no access to any equipment, and can't afford a trainer or memberships. Any support or tips would be great! Lets hope I can do this!

Replies

• vcferlita1
    Options
    Keeping a food journal, like the one her on MFP is one of the best things you can do start. As far as working out, I started just walking at the park down the street. Bought a cheap weight set and starting doing that for strength. Also, check local rec/community centers for free or low cost exercise classes. Even some churches offer excerises or martial arts classes.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hey Ashley, I am sure you can do this!!! I hope you get more replies also.

Some times the feed goes round so fast on here that posts don`t get a lot of responses. Sad but that is the way it goes, and I hope it does not stop you form asking questions.

My advice as you are starting, and this is what worked for me for a long time till I got into maintaining is eat a lot of protein, as the previous poster said walk a lot, log each and every thing.

Motivation, think of where you want to be and how you want to look ,,,I started at 184 lbs and am a very happy 140lb now I can not begin to tell you how great it makes me feel.

Good luck x
  • twinketta
    Options
    bumping for help for Ashley x
  • misshaylynn
    misshaylynn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You can do it Ashley, keep your goal in mind and stay focused! My biggest two tips are...

1. GET MOVING! Even if it's low impact cardio, do it! Turn on your favorite CD in your room and dance for 30 minutes, walk at your school's track, buy a workout DVD (several are only $9.99 at Target & Wal-Mart) - whatever you do, burn those calories girlfriend! :)

2. Track EVERYTHING! This has made a huge difference for me. Those little nibles you think nobody sees, they add up quick so hold yourself accountable. It also motivates you to make better choices, especially on the weekend.

Feel free to add me! GOOD LUCK!! :P
  • twinketta
    Options
    Come on guys, let us help Ashley with some words of wisdom, she is 18 and needing a little help...so instead of all the negative and sarcastic comments that can go on why not give some advice to a young girl???
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hello Ash.

My advice is to focus on little goals. It makes keeping motivated much easier when you have a bunch of small victories along the way instead of staring at this big mountain of a goal the whole time. When I started MFP, the first week or two I simply logged everything I ate. I didnt start cutting calories at this point because I wanted to see exactly what my "normal" diet was and specifically what the biggest food mistakes I was making. Once you get your food intake corrected, you can start with the exercise. There are TONS of free videos on the internet that will give you good aerobic workouts with no equipment other than your own body needed. You can also start by doing some walking and if you are up to it, jogging will make a huge difference over time.

Just remember, overall it is all about calories in vs calories out. Its that simple. No pills, crazy diets, etc needed.

Good luck!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I always struggle with giving advice on how to find motivation because all I can really come up with is this: you just have to want it. Do you want it? Then do it! You CAN do it.
  • twinketta
    Options
    hayley and surf you are great!!! and what is so nice is to see some positive help and advice...it just goes to show that some MFP members are really helpful!!!!

YAY!
  • twinketta
    Options
    I always struggle with giving advice on how to find motivation because all I can really come up with is this: you just have to want it. Do you want it? Then do it! You CAN do it.

That is so true!!! the you CAN do it thing!!!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley,

Log what you are eating.

Also, know that when you set up your goals here on MFP, it is going to set your calorie goal so low that you will lose weight without doing any exercise. Then when you do exercise, you log that and MFP gives you more calories to eat to fuel your workout. This is very important because if you don't eat enough, that is not healthy.

As for what you should eat..... well obviously whole foods are healthier for you than junk food or processed foods. I'm not sure how you normally eat, but after you log for a few days you will be able to get a good idea about what has too much calories. Generally you can eat a lot more healthier foods than you can junk. One tip I have heard is to eat everything from the outside ring of the grocery store (fruits, veggies, meats, dairy) and avoid all of the boxed and processed stuff on the inside aisles. A friend of mine puts it like this: eat anything that was or came from something alive, plants/animals.

Exercise - at least walk 30 minutes per day if nothing else.
  • Netbrendac
    Options
    You are so awesome!! Wish I had started at 18 instead of ignoring it and letting it get so far ahead of me! You go girl!!
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    hey Ashley,

make small changes at first, like try and increase your fluid intake gradually over a week or so if you aren't already drinking lots,
    also just start off with small amounts of exercise at first - a 10min speedy walk around the block and then gradually increase it - you dont want to do too much too soon and end up hurting yourself :)

feel free to add me if you want :)

good luck xx
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just make sure to write down all your food. add sugar, calories and sodium to watch. try not to do fast food, thats way to much sodium. drink about 8 glasses of water if possible, that helps A LOT!! and stay under your macros. I've lost almost 50 lbs and the only exercise I have been doing is walking. you don't have to live off of lettuce, I eat what I want, but less of it.
  • Jesscox17
    Options
    Hello Ash.

My advice is to focus on little goals. It makes keeping motivated much easier when you have a bunch of small victories along the way instead of staring at this big mountain of a goal the whole time. When I started MFP, the first week or two I simply logged everything I ate. I didnt start cutting calories at this point because I wanted to see exactly what my "normal" diet was and specifically what the biggest food mistakes I was making. Once you get your food intake corrected, you can start with the exercise. There are TONS of free videos on the internet that will give you good aerobic workouts with no equipment other than your own body needed. You can also start by doing some walking and if you are up to it, jogging will make a huge difference over time.

Just remember, overall it is all about calories in vs calories out. Its that simple. No pills, crazy diets, etc needed.

Good luck!
  • Jesscox17
    Options
    I agree. The worst thing that you can do is set yourself up for failure. You will get discouraged too easily if your goals are not attainable. Set 10lb wt. goals and reward yourself with something after each goal reached. Start a blog on here and write down your feelings for the day your failures and achievements. Sometimes it helps to write down or tell someone, "I shouldn't of ate that piece of cake" and the next day you may have the motivation to skip the cake. As for exercise. Turn your ipod on and dance around the room for 20 min. and then longer and longer. This is great exercise and it gets your whole body involved. Body rock TV is a great site that has interval workouts you can do in your living room. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You can do it Ashley, keep your goal in mind and stay focused! My biggest two tips are...

1. GET MOVING! Even if it's low impact cardio, do it! Turn on your favorite CD in your room and dance for 30 minutes, walk at your school's track, buy a workout DVD (several are only $9.99 at Target & Wal-Mart) - whatever you do, burn those calories girlfriend! :)

2. Track EVERYTHING! This has made a huge difference for me. Those little nibles you think nobody sees, they add up quick so hold yourself accountable. It also motivates you to make better choices, especially on the weekend.

Feel free to add me! GOOD LUCK!! :P

^^^ What she said!! and focus on lean, healthy proteins, and the fats/carbs will take care of themselves. You can also get workout DVD's from the library.