A way to make protein powder not taste like protein powder?

Options
So I've tried all sorts of protein shakes, and I've made my own. However every single time I get that grainy, "you've-just-added-something-healthy" taste that protein has and it ruins even my favorite recipes. Is there a way to make it not happen or do I have to take one for the team?

Replies

• msdoty7
    msdoty7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I add some fruit and almond milk to protein pwd then blend it.
    Also add one banana and coffee with protein pwd and blend it.
    juice beets and add 1 one scoop chocolate protein pwd , blend = delicious!!
  • chicalternita
    Options
    Thanks I have to try that! I have some protein kind of just sitting there because it tastes so bad...
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I find that chicken, meat, fish, eggs, milk, almonds and soy never taste like powder.
  • bdhu2001
    bdhu2001 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try Myolean Protein powder. It's not grainy.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I find that chicken, meat, fish, eggs, milk, almonds and soy never taste like powder.

Hahaha, ftw. Greek yogurt, too :)

I normally make protein shakes with the powder and a cup of almond milk, and if I need some extra calories I will put in a tablespoon of peanut butter. OH MAN. That's tasty.

There is a girl who has a blog called Dashing Dish and a lot of her recipes have protein powder in them. I made her peanut butter protein cookies - they are really good! She has TONS of recipes and they all make me want to EAT ALL THE FOOD.
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I use casein and whey mix which is unflavoured, because artificial sweeteners all taste bitter. I add it to porridge (my favourite breakfast) and it makes the consistency better .
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What brand do you use?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Put them in a blender.

Problem = solved.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I find that Dymatize Whey ISO-1000 in Chocolate is not grainy and mixes well in what, and a plus is that it is low in sodium which was hard for me to find as most are 100+mg per scoop and this is on 50mg. I also recenlty tried the Banana flavor and it is not too bad either. I often mix with soy milk for an even richer taste.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I buy cryosport chocolate. the vanilla tastes like barf, but the chocolate is actually bearable. I mix it with almond milk, PB2 and banana, and it's delish.
  • stuntpilot51
    stuntpilot51 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This thread made me laugh.
    I have a new apprentice helping me at work and one day a couple weeks ago we were working out of town and had to go to a McDonald's for lunch, he had his own lunch and I went inside, when I returned and jumped in the truck there was this god awful smell in the truck and I asked him what it was and he said a protein shake. I could barely eat my lunch as it reminded me of a rendering plant smell.
    How can anyone drink those?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    So I've tried all sorts of protein shakes, and I've made my own. However every single time I get that grainy, "you've-just-added-something-healthy" taste that protein has and it ruins even my favorite recipes. Is there a way to make it not happen or do I have to take one for the team?

Toss the powder and make some chicken.
  • NaughtyForties
    Options

In the past I've used a banana, a hand full of blueberries, half a teaspoon of natural honey and soya milk in my protein shake. Taste like a milk shake just not from the Big Yellow M, that's all.
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you people are buying crappy protein powder.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    oftentimes, you get what you pay for. some of them are downright delicious.
  • Vilhelmine
    Options
    I use GNC lean Vanilla bean and thinks it taste great with just vanilla soy milk & ice but I usually add half a bananna, a few blueberries and a few strawberries and some rolled oats - thats my breakfast :) its soooooooooo good!!!