Exercising and acne??

Options
People have ALWAYS said I look like a China Doll because my face is usually flawless. HOWEVER, ever since I've started exercising, I have pimples all over the place! I get at least 1 or 2 new ones A DAY. I go RIGHT home, and wash my face (I work out at night after work)...and I wash my face in the morning. I use non-fragrant soap (Olay) OR Clean and Clear facewash for sensitive skin. I also exfoiliate my face every other day (St. Ives for sensitive skin), and have done so since I was a teenager (meaning this is nothing new) What the heck is happening to me?! I am 30 years old...not a teenager! The worst thing is...is that any time I do get a pimple, it scars purple-ish for a super long time. I don't want to wreck my face. I've tried over the counter products, but my face just ends up feeling like I have alligator skin and gets flakey and burny. I drink anywhere from 20 to 80oz of water a day...which "they" say is supposed to help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Any products you use? Has this happened to you? Anything to make me feel better would help. I just feel like: Oh great...I'm getting skinnier, but now I look hideous:/

Replies

• Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The fact that you're sweating more may cause this to be an issue. I would make sure that you have removed 100% of your makeup before exercising and if the problem stays the same or gets worse I would go see a dermatologist.
  • amberiam
    amberiam Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because I'm having a similar problem lately. :(
  • luv2bfitandhealthy
    Options
    The fact that you're sweating more may cause this to be an issue. I would make sure that you have removed 100% of your makeup before exercising and if the problem stays the same or gets worse I would go see a dermatologist.

This.
  • lilbrohoppy
    Options
    I tend to def get a few more when im working out too, would be interested to hear any solutions besides washing face and body more.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i would LOVE to help but sadly i am near 30 too and having the EXACT same issue all surrounding my weight loss and routine! I do think i will take the advice to wash BEFORE as well as after my workouts and see if that helps.. Personally i have been thinking to make that appt with my Derm. but ill give this a try for .. eh two weeks?
  • amvh2008
    amvh2008 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Another thing might be your hormones. Whenever you shock your body into losing weight, one of the side effects is definitely a change in your skin and hair. Give it some time, and continue to eat right, exercise, and wash your face vigorously. I dont get acne on my face, but somtimes on my back and shoulders! I'll be 30 in a couple weeks, and its so annoying that I still get breakouts like that. Best of luck to you! :)
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Norwex makes an antibac wash cloth. I had the same problem and my face cleared up so fast. I don't sell so you'll need to find a seller in your area.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this applies to you or not but I've noticed that I shower a LOT more often since I started working out. I too, have had breakouts and what works for me is to wash my face BEFORE I work out. When you're all sweaty and hot, your pores open and in goes the bacteria, dirt, sweat and whatever else is on your face. Wash it after your workout too but I'm sure you already are. I also have to make sure that I wash my face after using conditioner on my hair. If I don't, I break out on my forehead and below my ears, near my jawline, anywhere my hair touches my face.
    Do you have rosacea? It can cause stubborn pimple-like acne too. :(
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    get a magnesium supplement in you am and pm

hydrogen peroxide skin toner after washing.

for more tips go to facebook groups: get fit with coach teresa

happy training!
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Have you always washed your face in the morning and at night? If you are using cleansers on your skin more regularly (even if they are the same cleansers you have always used), you could be drying it out. Just a thought!
  • Mnecka
    Mnecka Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue!! I started using the acne control set from Mary Kay and it is really helping!!! Even when I'm on my cycle. I may get like one bump. I can deal with that than like seven all over all the time.
  • SummerMarieM
    Options
    I can relate to this as well and at 37!!!!!!!!!! However, I found that it was because of the added exercise causing my insulin spiking, thus causing me acne. At first I thought it was something I ate, like splenda or cheeses or not washing my face enough or with something else causing me to break out. But in the end, it was just my insulin spikes. I readjusted my diet and added more healthy carbs and it balanced out. :)
  • Natasha28
    Options
    Yes...I added the Clean and Clear when I started working out...which has been since the middle of July or August. I put lotion on my face every time I wash it (Clinique...dye and fragrant free)...but this is not new...been doing this since forever.
  • Natasha28
    Options
    And I will definately try washing BEFORE...I normally go straight after work because we have a gym here...so I have not been washing before...I don't know why...but I guess I just didn't think of that. Ugh!
  • bradymeans
    bradymeans Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm totally dealing with the same thing!! I used to always gets compliments on my complexion...but lately I've been breaking out like CRAZY...it's driving me nuts honestly...lol
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I've always had issues with acne, I will testify mine has gotten worse when I exercise
  • Natasha28
    Options
    I can relate to this as well and at 37!!!!!!!!!! However, I found that it was because of the added exercise causing my insulin spiking, thus causing me acne. At first I thought it was something I ate, like splenda or cheeses or not washing my face enough or with something else causing me to break out. But in the end, it was just my insulin spikes. I readjusted my diet and added more healthy carbs and it balanced out. :)

Oh wow! I do have Hypothyroidism...which DOES affect the way Insulin works in my body...maybe I should look into this area more! Thanks!
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Its because you are sweating alot more, probably. Try removing your makeup before working out. Also maybe try putting a bit of baby powder on your face. It could help with the sweating, therefore it would help with the breakouts.

If it doesnt work then maybe go to a dermatologist or try some new facial products?
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    I remember these two guys in high school, when I was a junior. They were seniors, and I had a PE class with them. They always dressed in button-down western shirts, boots, big belt buckles, cowboy hats. They had **** for brains and ****ty attitudes. At the end of class, they would shower, then pop zits on each others' backs in the bathroom. They had scores of them, all down their backs.
  • spangey13
    Options
    I had flawless skin as a teenager. I didn't do anything spectacular. Then when I was about 23 or 24 its like one day I woke up and looked like a pizza.

I have been to the doctor many times about it. I have also tried pro-activ which worked a little bit. I'm now on the pill, which seemed to help a little more, but I have prescription medicine now called Doxine.

I had a bit of a tantrum at the doctors about August and said that I'm not 28, not 18, I am getting married in February and I don't want my husband to wake up the morning after our wedding and look at my face and think "yucko", and give me the strongest stuff you've got to get rid of it. So you could always go to your GP and ask for something to at least kick start your skin back to normal.

I think aswell, perhaps ditch the St Ives wash, try and get acqueas cream (sp??) instead. I think that St Ives uses walnut or something in it? And because it is "harsh" it is actually abrasive to your skin, leaves little fine cuts all over the show. If you get something that is "man made" with the little beads in it, it doesn't cut your face up.

I hope this helps.