drinking enough water when its cold out?

Options
I have a hard time drinking water when its cold outside. I find myself making several cups of hot tea during the day instead and feel dehydrated. Any tips for cold weather water consumption?

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    What kind of tea are you drinking, any way you can switch to green tea. That shouldn't dehydrate you. Also when you get a cup of tea, grap a glass of water as well and drink both at the same time, no exceptions
  • bayoucitygirl
    bayoucitygirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    In cold weather I lean towards unsweetened essence waters like hint, cascade ice (when I want bubbles) and metromint (the chocolatemint totally takes care of any candy cravings I get!). I also keep them near room temp, but I think that's more a personal taste ;)
  • suzii32
    Options
    I know how you feel. I read somewhere that you should try to drink one full glass of water before each meal, it will get you half way to your goal and it's supposed to help you eat less also!! I hope it helps somewhat!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Pour water (preferably potable water, please) into drinking vessel.
    Tip drinking vessel to mouth, or use extruded plastic pipe or straw between mouth and vessel.
    Bring water into mouth, and carefully without letting any water into the lungs, swallow the water into your stomach.
    Repeat until vessel is empty.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have a gallon water jug that I keep sitting out at room temperature. I use it during my workouts and I drink from it all day long. Besides my morning coffee, I don't drink anything else until it's gone. I find it a lot easier to drink when the water's not cold.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I stop drinking it with ice and just drink it room temperature, this seems to help me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I drink water at room temp out of a straw. 10 sips equals 8 ounces.
  • pjberube75
    pjberube75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking hot water (microwaved) with lemon in it. I know it sounds kind of weird... but, it's actually good!
  • CarmenLynn75
    CarmenLynn75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with plain hot water!! Or add lemon juice or crystal light.. It warms ya and its still water!
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot more tea during the colder months as well. Have you tried 'chasing' a cup of tea with a glass of water? I really love how cold the water feels after I've had some warm tea. (I drink jasmine, green, chai and yerba mate usually so it's not steeped as hot as black tea. I would imagine this would be rather shocking/painful if done with black tea.) I suppose chai is technically black tea, but since I combine it with almond milk it's not really that hot either.

I second (or third) the hot water with lemon. It's nice on cold days
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    all my water intake is at room temperature. try it, it really helps.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I have that same problem. I also hardly get thirsty in the wintertime and with kidney stones, I have to keep drinking.
    Making a pitcher of flavored water helps.... I just make myself drink a glass (8oz) when I take my vitamins, one with each meal, with each snack and one more cup before I go to bed. I usually make generic diet koolaid, Crystal light, that sort of stuff. And no, I do not fear it.
    Water that you add to oats, water in fruits and veggies, yogurt, pasta, etc. counts too, according to my urologist.
  • sunraew
    sunraew Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Water at room temp or warmed.

Can also substitute tea and herbal teas for water quota.

I find Vanilla Rooibos tea quite satisfying in winter if you can find it at the grocery store.

--- about Rooibos herb, paras [4-7] : http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA82788.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I just drink not ice cold water... The rest of the year I prefer my water to be ice cold (at work I keep my bottles in the freezer so they're half ice or just really cold) but now I don't freeze them. And I just chug them back...that's the easiest way for me to drink water.