pizza base recipe... anyone have one ?

Options
I love pizza !!!
I would love a recipe for a low cal pizza base, does anyone have one? I use pitta bread sometimes but would love something new.

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Here's my pizza recipe (toppings included):

HOMEMADE SUPREMELY AWESOME PIZZA

You can either buy your crust, or make this low sodium one:
    2 t Active dry yeast
    3 1/2 c Bread Flour
    1 1/2 c Water
    2 t Honey
    2 T Olive Oil

Place ingredients in bread machine in order specified by manufacturer and process on dough cycle. Turn out the dough onto a floured board. At this point you may form the pizzas, or refrigerate the dough for several hours, well wrapped in plastic so it won't dry out. (Although a refrigerator rest is not necessary, it makes the dough easier to handle.) Makes enough dough for two 12-inch pizzas, or two 10-inch thick-crust pizzas. Bake at 400 degrees until lightly browned around the edges. Top as desired and return to oven until cheese is melted and crust browned, about 15 minutes total.

If you choose to buy a pre-made crust, proceed with the following recipe:

1 Mama Mary's Thin & Crispy Crust (got ours at walmart), or use the crust recipe above
    1 red bell pepper
    1 green bell pepper
    1 can sliced, pitted olives, rinsed
    1 sweet onion
    2 Tomatoes
    1 Can Pizza Sauce (also got from Walmart, check labels for lowest sodium one!)
    1 pack fresh sliced mushrooms (available in produce dept)
    1 bag Sargento reduced sodium shredded mozzarella
    1 can pineapple

Lay crust on baking sheet. Sauce lightly. Measure 1 cup cheese & sprinkle. Pile up all the yummy things! Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese on top. Bake as directed on crust package.

Prep time for premade crust: 5 mins
    Calorie damage: 700 cals for HALF the pizza! ZOW! Amazing, right? The sodium on this one is a little high, but a real treat. You won't want to get take out again (we sure don't!)
    The low sodium crust is higher in cals, but has 25% less sodium.

My favorite so far has been to make that crust as noted above, and then go in with the sauce, mozzarella, pineapple, and then some mozzarella again. Blows my mind every time!

If you want something on the miniature scale try making it on earthgrain or orowheat buns. Only 50 cals per mini za "crust". Stack it with whatever you like :)
  • JessicaPahl
    Options
    Tyson Grilled Chicken Breast Fillets Fully Cooked - 1 piece 98g 110 calories
    Arnolds - Select Seedless Rye Sandwich Thins, 1 roll 100 calories
    Emeril's - Marinara Sauce, 1/4 cup 40 calories
    Peppers - Sweet, green, raw, 2 tbsp 4 calories
    Mushrooms - Raw, 0.15 cup pieces 2 calories
    Kraft Natural Shredded Cheese - 2% Milk Mozzerella, 1/4 cup 80 calories
    336 calories total.
    I threw this together last night and baked it..and it was really good.. very pizza like!! :happy:
  • afluegel
    afluegel Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My husband and i have always done pizza and wine night on friday nights and when i started to diet I did not want to give up our "date night". So first i started making mini pizzas out of Whole Wheat english muffins, tomato sauce and 2% mozzarella plus whatever topping we were in the mood for. My husband wasn't a big fan so have since switched to making our pizza on The whole Wheat Boboli pizza crust. Toppings include Veggies and grilled chicken. Every couple of weeks ill let him order from the local pizza place and i'll have 1 slice with salad.....
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I essentially use the same dough recipe as DrBork...and then I roll it out really thin, like graham cracker thin. it makes a huge difference in calories. Also, I use way less cheese, just enough to taste, and then use a ton of veggies and maybe a few turkey pepperonies cut up.

To me, the key is thin crust, less cheese and lots of veggies

Oh and for sauce - can of tomato sauce, minced garlic and about a tsp of dried italian seasoning plus a bit of salt. Mix that all up and let it sit for a few minutes and it will taste just like a pizza from a restaurant.
  • eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....now I want pizza!!!!!