1200 calories feels too little

Options
Hello all, I am very new to here (and also new to putting a real effort towards weight loss). I am 5 foot 2 inches and I weigh 114 lbs. My goal is to lose 15-20 lbs. I know it sounds like a lot to lose for someone my weight, but I have always weighed a lot less than how I look, even doctors at examinations are surprised to see how little I weighed when I was around 100 lbs. I have never done any sports, I lead a very passive life style, but I am starting dance classes on thursday, I will be taking 60 minutes of ballet and 120 minutes of jazz dance every week, along with jumping rope for cardio.

I love junk food a lot, but I never really eat a lot of it, I can't finish a chocolate bar in one sitting for example, but I will eat little squares of it multiple times a day. Or I wil eat a handful of chips. But besides my enormous love for junk food, my eating habits are healthy, I don't like soda, or frozen food or processed meat and I cook a lot. So I thought I wasn't consuming many calories. I was wrong.

I just started counting my calories, and turns out, on a regular day I eat around 1800 calories. According to my program here, I should be eating 1200, so I tried to cut back on Monday and Tuesday, and the best I could do was around 1500-1600 calories. And all this while I don't even move an inch, I don't even walk. Do you think 1200 calories is still a reasonable goal? I would love to try and stick to it, did you manage to cut back on your calories from day 1 or did it take some adjustment time? I was thinking that maybe I could cut back from 1600 calories by eating 100 calories less every day, would that be a good strategy?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    1500-1600 actually sounds about average.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This would give you a better number to work with.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    your main concern should be the fact that you want to lose 15-20 pounds, not that 1200 isnt enough.

you're probably skinny fat.
    eat at maintenance or JUST below and lift heavy weights.

scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to speak for anyone else, but it's been my personal experience that eating enough is critical for weight loss - especially if you're going to be adding physical activity. Different people have different results, but it's important to listen to your body. If you're hungry, up your intake goals, and try changing the ratios of your intake. You might find that when you're eating more protein and fewer carbohydrates, you don't need as many calories.

The goal is to find something that's going to be sustainable for you, and if you're hungry all the time, it won't be.

[Edit:] I just noticed your current and goal weights. Forget it. Eat at maintenance and start lifting. You're hungry because your body is already at the lower end of healthy.
  • kayleepie
    kayleepie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think the easiest way to fix this is to exercise!

The 1200 calorie recomendation is before adding your exercse. Which means you get to eat your exercise calories! Go for a half hour walk or chuck on an exercise DVD at some point during the day and add these calories to your food.

Another option is slowing down your weight loss. If you change your settings to only losing 1 lb or 0.5 lb per week your calorie goal will go up. It might take longer, but you don't have a lot to lose.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    1500-1600 actually sounds about average.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This would give you a better number to work with.
    DItto!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    your main concern should be the fact that you want to lose 15-20 pounds, not that 1200 isnt enough.

you're probably skinny fat.
    eat at maintenance or JUST below and lift heavy weights.

scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

seriously. 15-20 pounds from your starting weight would be VERY unhealthy.
  • lesliemojo
    Options
    1,200 feels way too much for me. I just counted up my calories & I didn't even make it to 800. I hate junk food & fast food. The only time I can eat it is when I'm on an emotional binge & I don't even taste it. I eat healthy & most healthy foods are low calorie. I would suggest to try to wean yourself from the junk. Once you are off you will notice you'll have a hard time eating it again. It's really quite awful. Watch "Super Size Me". Good luck. I need to go eat some more food....weird eh?
  • met_in
    met_in Posts: 17
    Options
    The thing is, I don't even look skinny but my fat % must be pretty high. I have the typical apple body shape, with my legs and arms being quite skinns (but my thighs have been getting thicker) and I carry ALL my weight around my face (cheeks and neck) and belly area. I have awful love handles, it looks very bad. I definitely want to try weight lifting, but I thought I would lose the fat first by decreasing my intake in calories. I wouldn't mind staying the same weight I am, I know that it is a healthy weight, if it could be distributed more evenly. And weight lifting only wouldn't help me lose the fat in my facial area, I am losing my jaw line, basically.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    1,200 feels way too much for me. I just counted up my calories & I didn't even make it to 800. I hate junk food & fast food. The only time I can eat it is when I'm on an emotional binge & I don't even taste it. I eat healthy & most healthy foods are low calorie. I would suggest to try to wean yourself from the junk. Once you are off you will notice you'll have a hard time eating it again. It's really quite awful. Watch "Super Size Me". Good luck. I need to go eat some more food....weird eh?

The bolded statement is untrue. I can think of SEVERAL examples that dispute your claim...

1) nuts
    2) seeds
    3) avocados
    4) olives
    5) REGULAR dairy (with the fat intact)
    6) cheese
    7) eggs (not particularly low if you're eating enough to take the place of other protein sources)
    8) salmon
    9) steak
    10) mackerel
  • met_in
    Options
    Thank you for your responses! I can't even begin to imagine my life on 800 calories, I don't think I would have the will power to stick to that, so I am very impressed!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Quit eating garbage food and start eating real food with protein and nutrients instead of chocolate bars and chips. It's pretty simple.
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Actually, lifting can help a LOT with that. The benefits you'll gain from lifting aren't just larger muscles; they include increased metabolism, a reduction of stored toxins in the body, toning and shaping.

If you absolutely must, go get an assessment of your current composition done. You're already at a healthy weight, and if you don't know what your current body fat % is, you're not equipped to set good goals around it. In the meantime, don't worry about dropping your intake and focus on building lean muscle mass.
  • met_in
    Options
    Actually, lifting can help a LOT with that. The benefits you'll gain from lifting aren't just larger muscles; they include increased metabolism, a reduction of stored toxins in the body, toning and shaping.

I had no idea, this is great news! I always wanted to get into lifting, I have seen what it does to women's bodies and I was always amazed at what a beautifully healthy looking body image it resulted in. I definitely want to stick to cardio as well, because I am just sick of getting exhausted so easily. Thank you for your help!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    You're tiny. How is it that you can barely climb a set of stairs? Do you have health issues?
  • met_in
    Options
    That was a bit of an exaggeration, I am just very unfit. I smoke a lot, too, so I get tired very easily. Besides the smoking, I have no health issues yet, but cutting back on the cigarettes is also one of my goals, which is very hard to do while I am also trying to cut back on calories. I guess that is why I snack so much, I have been smoking less for a week now, so I snack even more than I used to. I just bought a bunch of berries today, so I have been eating them as opposed to chips or candies, which is what I would normally do. Maybe I am trying to make too many changes at once, but I have been feeling so determined lately, so I will see where I end up :)
    You're tiny. How is it that you can barely climb a set of stairs? Do you have health issues?
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    That was a bit of an exaggeration, I am just very unfit. I smoke a lot, too, so I get tired very easily. Besides the smoking, I have no health issues yet, but cutting back on the cigarettes is also one of my goals, which is very hard to do while I am also trying to cut back on calories. I guess that is why I snack so much, I have been smoking less for a week now, so I snack even more than I used to. I just bought a bunch of berries today, so I have been eating them as opposed to chips or candies, which is what I would normally do. Maybe I am trying to make too many changes at once, but I have been feeling so determined lately, so I will see where I end up :)

I see. Well, I'd start by cutting down on the smoking and eating so much junk food. Start working out and changing your diet. I wouldn't focus on wanting to lose a certain amount of weight. I don't think your weight is the problem.
  • CariBgood
    CariBgood Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you aren't gaining by eating 1500-1600 calories per day I am not sure what you are worried about. I would advise you to try to eat healthier food although grazing little bits and pieces like you do probably isn't very harmful. Cut out soda and sweet drinks. Keep moving....You're right 1200 calories a day isn't enough for someone that is active.
  • met_in
    Options
    I am not gaining but I was worried that I would need to eat 1200 calories to lose weight, since I always hear that you should cut out around 500 calories per day to lose one pound a week. However, I am getting more and more convinced that I should rather focus on exercise than cutting out calories and see whether that alone helps with distributed my body fat around (currently it is focused in two areas on my body).

If you aren't gaining by eating 1500-1600 calories per day I am not sure what you are worried about. I would advise you to try to eat healthier food although grazing little bits and pieces like you do probably isn't very harmful. Cut out soda and sweet drinks. Keep moving....You're right 1200 calories a day isn't enough for someone that is active.
  • lesliemojo
    Options
    I said "most". I was thinking vegetables and fruit. Nuts are healthy but have a lot of fat. Cheese has a lot of fat. So does steak. When I think healthly I think veggies and fruit and lean protein not what you listed.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I too quit smoking and started eating better at the same time. You can do it! You will feel so much better!