first day at the gym, what should i do?

Options
I'd like to jump start my weight loss again. I'm stuck at 160 since i've lost 100 pounds, I just joined a gym and was wondering if anyone has exercises I can do to get my body back in gear. Thanks guys! oh, BTW I've got bad knees.

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Have you taken a diet break at all? If not, then I suggest you do so.

Also, pick up a copy of new rules of lifting for women and start the program.

Best of luck!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Have you taken a diet break at all? If not, then I suggest you do so.

Also, pick up a copy of new rules of lifting for women and start the program.

Best of luck!

i agree...take a tour of the gym before you start, maybe ask some advice and questions. A personal trainer is always recommended but if you feel you can do this on your own, then i suggest youtubing the work out moves in New Rules just to know exactly what you're doing. I love New Rules, and the gym is the only thing I seem to stick to. Good Luck!
  • Emmenstwin
    Emmenstwin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    thank you! And no i haven't, i take breaks when i'm sick or injured... It's just frustrating because I've worked so hard and now it sems like I'm hitting my head on a wall over and over again. I'm tired but I have too much heart to stop and give up, even tho i want to....
  • esta94510
    esta94510 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    what is a diet break?
  • slavenberg
    slavenberg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You might want to get a trainer - they can customize a workout for you to do, taking your knees into consideration and your overall goals. I pay $45 per hour and it is worth every penny.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    what is a diet break?

A period of time when you eat at maintenance or slightly above in order to restore proper hormone levels.
  • CmeATtheGym
    CmeATtheGym Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Take a Zumba class if offered. No skill required, just lots of fun. You will have fun and hopefully make some friends . The class is very social , and it has been so motivating for me to get to the gym and try new things. Any class you take is like having a personal trainer right beside you. Everything can be modified to your capability.
  • captchip40
    Options
    If you have never been to a gym to work out before it can be intimidating. A personal trainer is a good idea. Also you may want to pick a gym (if you have local options) based on something other than convenience. A Planet Fitness is a good place to start, they have trainers to show you how to use the equipment and there are people there of all fitness levels, it's also cheap.
    If you don't have options and only have a local gym, these can be the most intimidating, but really no one will bother you and most will be eager to help if you ask. A personal trainer just to show you the basic would be a good move.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    I'd like to jump start my weight loss again. I'm stuck at 160 since i've lost 100 pounds, I just joined a gym and was wondering if anyone has exercises I can do to get my body back in gear. Thanks guys! oh, BTW I've got bad knees.

lift weight and if u need a program i will forward u to a good one
  • Emmenstwin
    Options
    sure thing, I need all the help i can get because i have no idea where to start. you can message me or post here thanks
  • Emmenstwin
    Options
    Anyone have tips for eating differently? I've been having protein shakes and then a good dinner with no carbs ( they usually make me sick) My dr thinks i should only do the shakes but i'm not to sure about that. I usually under eat a lot, I'm lucky if I get 800 calories a day so i have to eat when I'm not hungry and it never seems to add up to enough. my shakes are under 200 calories and then when i snack i eat fruit or nuts.. Please any tips would be a big help. Thank you.
  • star2lite
    star2lite Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I wonder if your undereating caused you to stop losing weight?

If the body doesn't get enough calories for long time it goes into 'starvation mode'. It holds onto every bit of fat because it doesn't know when it's going to recieve more.

You should check your TDEE. I'll see if I can find a link here somewhere or maybe someone more knowledgeable will come and explain :-)
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    you should do EVERYTHING!!!! do it all and do a lot of weight and lots of sets!

jk get a trainer to help you get started at least
  • rsboyd
    rsboyd Posts: 12
    Options
    continued-

DO NOT OVERDO. It will take a week for your muscles to recover and you will get discouraged.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Talk to the training director... a lot gyms will do a free fitness assessments w/ a free session.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    it's counterintuitive, but you likely need to eat more if you're lucky to get 800 cal a day. I also have issues with not being hungry when I need to eat more (and when I'm eating plenty, I want more - not helpful!). One thing that I found very helpful was seeing a nuritionist. She sorted me out on a plan that basically gave me 3 decently sized meals (~500 cal ea), 2 snacks (100-200 cal), then pre-post-and during-workout snack plans to keep me going so that I wasn't eating huge meals on days I ran long distances, then starving on my rest days.

If carbs make you sick, that sounds lousy, though. Do you mean fruits as well as standard breads/pasta? If ALL sugars make you sick, you might be struggling with underlying blood sugar issues. If just breads/pasta makes you sick, you might have an issue with one or more grains (some people can't do wheat, some people can't do corn, some people can't do rice, or any combination). I had blood sugar trouble and in sorting it out, discovered I don't digest wheat so great - not celiac or allergic, just doesn't feel great. I limit added sugars, watch fruit consumption, and stick to grains I know I can handle well and I'm ok. Every once in a while I go on a baguette binge and while I enjoy it, I feel it.

I'll also second the idea of using a trainer, they can set you up with a plan and give you ideas. But I'd start with a nutritionist (which you can likely find at your gym). Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym.
  • Emmenstwin
    Options
    it's counterintuitive, but you likely need to eat more if you're lucky to get 800 cal a day. I also have issues with not being hungry when I need to eat more (and when I'm eating plenty, I want more - not helpful!). One thing that I found very helpful was seeing a nuritionist. She sorted me out on a plan that basically gave me 3 decently sized meals (~500 cal ea), 2 snacks (100-200 cal), then pre-post-and during-workout snack plans to keep me going so that I wasn't eating huge meals on days I ran long distances, then starving on my rest days.

If carbs make you sick, that sounds lousy, though. Do you mean fruits as well as standard breads/pasta? If ALL sugars make you sick, you might be struggling with underlying blood sugar issues. If just breads/pasta makes you sick, you might have an issue with one or more grains (some people can't do wheat, some people can't do corn, some people can't do rice, or any combination). I had blood sugar trouble and in sorting it out, discovered I don't digest wheat so great - not celiac or allergic, just doesn't feel great. I limit added sugars, watch fruit consumption, and stick to grains I know I can handle well and I'm ok. Every once in a while I go on a baguette binge and while I enjoy it, I feel it.

I'll also second the idea of using a trainer, they can set you up with a plan and give you ideas. But I'd start with a nutritionist (which you can likely find at your gym). Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym.
    I've been seeing a nutritionist for a year and all she says is " you have to get your protein" she doesn't really help at all. Rice, bread, pasta, potatoes etc make me sick and I have a sensitive stomach when it comes to sugar as well so I don't over do the fruits. I'd like a meal paln or something to follow besides a shake all the time because it does get boring after a while.. Thnks to all of you too. I'm going to see about a trainer.. Wish me luck.