Brand New Cheapskate Runner - Advice?

Options
I've mostly done elliptical running but all of my friends are "outdoor runners" (and personally running outside scares the crap out of me... People can see me!). They participate in marathons or fundraiser runs and I'd like to join them for once instead of cheaping out and taking the "walker's route".
....Trouble is
1) I don't have proper running shoes and don't know where to really look for them. The Running Room said I was 3/4 bars of stability.
2) Money's really tight, so I can't really afford to drop $150 on shoes. (Even if money wasn't tight, the thought of dropping that kind of cash on *shoes* is scary lol)
3) I can barely run for five mins on the treadmill. I need advice on how to increase my stamina,

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Replies

• algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    First of all... welcome to running!

Issues 1&2) Shoes... Considering the potential medical costs to straighten your feet out after wearing bad shoes, I would go to an athletic store frequented by other REAL ATHLETES. Get a "shoe prescription" for your gait, meaning have a professional evaluate you for things like stabilty and give you a proper fit. Shoes do not have to cost $150 to be good. Shop for comparable shoes in the previous year's models LOL kinda like buying a car. I usually get away with $30-50 for a pair of New Balance by shopping online (and it still pains me to spend that much money on shoes) but I never have foot pain anymore. (I used to get heel spurs and foot cramps constantly.)

Issue 3) Just work at building your mileage base. The endurance will come.

Best wishes!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    For shoes, if you can find a store (and sounds like maybe you already did?) where they can fit you without forcing you to buy from them, you can figure out what sort of shoes you need, shop around for the best deal, either online, or with a coupon for one of the bigger stores - sometimes they have deal around or just after Christmas.

As for building up your running, I went from being an absolute non-runner to being able to run a 5k (and beyond) with the c25k program. You can find it online (search couch to 5k), and there are many free apps you can download to your phone or ipod to take the program with you, either outside or on the treadmill. It basically works you up to running a 5k in about 9 weeks. The program is 3 days a week, with intervals of walking and running, with the running increasing as you move through the program.

It worked wonders for me. I started it in January, completed the 9 weeks, and I'm still running - up to over 6 miles now and I love it.
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks! I'll definitely look into the app.
    And for the shoe advice... I honestly didn't think of looking into "previous year models" of shoes. I thought about going online but the Running Room was so specific that I didn't think I could shop alone online.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    C25K is great, I used similar training methods to train for a marathon.

As the others have said you don't need to drop $150 on running shoes. You can find good shoes in the $50-$75 range, but you should absolutely go to a store that will analize your gait and put you into the 'right' type of shoe. Don't think you can buy any random shoe for $20 without it possibly causing you some problems.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    C25K is great, I used similar training methods to train for a marathon.

As the others have said you don't need to drop $150 on running shoes. You can find good shoes in the $50-$75 range, but you should absolutely go to a store that will analize your gait and put you into the 'right' type of shoe. Don't think you can buy any random shoe for $20 without it possibly causing you some problems.

:laugh: My husband says I am pickier about my runnig shoes than I am my food LOL
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store and got fitted. I did buy the $150 shoes there but ever since I've bought the same model online for much cheaper. I'm actually a bit bummed right now that they've totally discontinued the line I like so I guess I'll be back to shoe shopping when my current ones bite the dust.

C25K is a great way to learn to run.
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Well, I tried Workout 1 Week 1 on the C25K and I barely made 15mins... Wow, running is harder than you'd think!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Go as slowly as you need to, both the walking and the jogging, just try to keep moving through the whole time allotted for that day. And I mean S L O W - no shame in a super slow pace - speed will come later, endurance first. Good job getting it started! :bigsmile: