Steel cut oats??

Options
What are some of your guys fave recipes using the steel cut oats?? I found some and I am debating whether or not I want to purchase them...I also found a bag of flaxseed. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Put one scoop of protein powder in your shaker, add one half cup of oats, mix, drink.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    They are lovely! I cook up a batch in the slow cooker to last the week then reheat a serving in the microwave each morning.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I cook up a batch and then re-heat as well. I vary what I add each day. I use stevia to sweeten, then add things like raisins or chopped apples and cinnamon, a scoop of pumpkin, PB and J once in a while, banana, nuts-all kinds of things.
  • cjflys2
    Options
    Please Explain
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Put one scoop of protein powder in your shaker, add one half cup of oats, mix, drink.

Read the thread again please
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love steel cut oats. I make up a batch of 4 servings on Sundays, and then put them in individual containers. No special recipe, just cook them up plain with a pinch of salt. Usually put a bit of brown sugar and butter on top. then I can reheat at work throughout the week. Yums!!
    (I can't bring my self to try the crockpot/overnight oatmeal thing. I read some bad reviews on that process.)

Definitely mix in a tablespoon or two of the flax seed during cooking for added nutrition!!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I eat them every day. When I make them I put them in a dry pan and roast them until they get aromatic. Then add water,bring to a boil and drop the heat really low.

I used to roast them with a pad of butter but not anymore.
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I might have to try them then...Thanks you guys for your imput!!!
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Rally good tip to bring out the nutty flavor of the steel cut oats:

Toast slightly in a pan before cooking. (same idea as toasting nuts)

EDIT: I see GRAMPS above beat me to the tip.
  • memus28
    Options
    I cook steet cut oats weekly too. I add a pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon for flavoring as well as a few Craisins. OR

I have also tried adding a 1/4 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips to a whole batch to make it taste really good.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've only made the steel cut oats once but they were very yummy. Recently I made a loaf of banana bread and added a tbsp of milled flaxseed. It was the best banana bread I've made and got lots of compliments. Didn't taste any different for having added the flaxseed.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    They are lovely! I cook up a batch in the slow cooker to last the week then reheat a serving in the microwave each morning.
    Me too. I thought it was too much trouble before I thought to try the slow cooker.

Sometimes I add agave nectar, sometimes honey, raisins, whole flax seed.... or nothing at all. I like them plain too.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    never thought to use the slow cooker to cook them up. Thanks for the idea! /bonks self on the head
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I use any and everything in rolled and steal cut oats . Depending on my mood just mix and match....Garlic & onion powder.....Texjoy Steak Seasoning, Tony Chachere, Old Bay, cayenne & black pepper, tasso, sausage and chicken bouillon. It's all good!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    My favorites are to prepare a serving of steel oats according to box directions and add 1/4 c pomegranate, 1/4 c blueberries and a T unsweetened flaked coconut.

Or I like to add a banana and 2 T chopped walnuts

Peaches and almonds

Adding flaxseed is great for nutritional value.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Regarding flax seed, you do want to keep it in the fridge so it will not go rancid. Only grind what you can use in a few days, keeping it also in the fridge. Start with perhaps a teaspoon a day as it adds a lot of fiber. You want to grind it because the tiny seeds will pass through the digestive tract completely intact otherwise. They are an excellent source of omega 3's. I generally add a tablespoon of ground flax seed in my smoothies.

Steel cut oats can be very yummy, but they take a lot longer to cook than regular oats, so be aware of that. They are a nice change. My 18-yo daughter prefers them to regular rolled oats.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My favorites are to prepare a serving of steel oats according to box directions and add 1/4 c pomegranate, 1/4 c blueberries and a T unsweetened flaked coconut.

Or I like to add a banana and 2 T chopped walnuts

Peaches and almonds

Adding flaxseed is great for nutritional value.

The pomegranate/blueberry/coconut sounds scrumptious! I'll have to try that!
  • st3f4real
    st3f4real Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Preheat oven 350 degrees

4 heaping tablespoons peanut butter
    4 eggs worth of flaxseed [4 tbsp ground flaxseed+ 12 tbsp water] [the original recipe called for 4 egg whites but we did not have eggs]
    Cinnamon (to your liking) I sprinkle a generous amount and just eyeball it
    2-3 mashed bananas (I used a potato masher)
    10 stevia packets
    Quick Cook Steel cut oats (pour in as much as you think would soak up the liquid while cooking) I eyeball this since I do not mind if they have an extra oatmeal taste. Stir in oatmeal until it thickens and becomes the consistency of cookie dough.

Bake at 350 degrees 30 minutes or until they have risen a little and do not have too much moisture left. They will still be moist. I am experimenting with cooking them a little bit more each time to see how dry I can make them and have them still edible.

*I made them in mini loaf pans today (spraying the pans with cooking spray before baking) and they look and smell like mini banana bread loafs. I put them in individual containers and refrigerate them for the week to bring for snack at work or eat for breakfast/dessert at home.

Who knew oatmeal could be so easy to prepare and be so tasty!!!