Kinda Freaked out!!!

Options
I have decided to quit smoking (again). I have been taking zyban and have made tomorrow my quit date. I'm not so freaked about the quitting as much its more the weight gain and increased hunger that occurs after. Anyone have good tips or advice to give I would be greatly appreciatvie:):)

Replies

• troy0
    troy0 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I quit 7 years ago and have never had a single smoke since that day.
    Increased hunger and weight gain, its all a myth. It only happens when you try to replace smoking with something else - which in all honesty is not uncommon for people already suffering from a form of addiction.

It all comes down to will power. Just be strong and remove temptations, avoid friends that smoke and social situations that expose you to it for a little while until you get your bearings.
    If you need to, nicotine patches are a good way to reduce cravings, but try to wean yourself off them quickly.

It does help to find something to replace the time (and money) you otherwise would have spent on smoking, and given that you're no longer buying cigarettes, you'll have a little extra money to start, expand on, or look for a new interest with.

Its such a positive thing you are doing for your life, its not easy but stick with it, its worth it.
  • stephclark11
    Options
    I quit 43 days ago. I have gained a few pounds but it's my fault since I haven't been working out as much. I read Allan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking. I failed many times at quiting smoking and this book helped. Good luck and feel free to add me if you want. Just remember your cravings go away in a few days, its the habit that is the hardest. You can do it.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Track your calories and stay w/in your limit.
    You'll be fine.
    And, you'll be a non-smoker.
    Congrats.
  • kemartin7250
    Options
    I have quit smoking (many times...) and always dreaded the weight gain too. The best thing I found to do to avoid this weight gain is to replace the smoking with something else that isn't food (chewing gum for me is very helpful!) I found that quiting smoking was more like a dedication to a new, healthier lifesytle, so I started working out regularly. When I was more physically active I didn't want to smoke, and there is the added bonus of getting in shape/losing weight :)
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It's been said that generally you can expect to gain 5% of your current weight. So 200 lbs=10 lbs, 150=7.5 etc...you of course can prevent it by working out and eating right :) best if luck!!!!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I failed using chantix, the patch, the gum, the lozenge, and everything else including zyban, but I succeeded with Allan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking.

That said, Zyban aka Wellbutrin is often more closely associated with weight loss than gain. However, math never changes. If you're logging your food and you can continue to eat the same amount and exercise the same amount, you should not see any other differences. It has no metabolic effect.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I took Zyban a few years ago; unders a diff. rx name. They gave it to me because I drank too much. It killed my urge to drink as much and gave me more energy.
    It also reduced my urge to over eat. I did lose weight while on the medication. I am sorry, I don't remember if I was actually exercising or anything while on it, it was quite a few ywars ago..
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I "just" quit.

LMAO

as if...........

Seriously though...I got sick of the taste, the smell, the cost, and mostly I got tired of not being able to breathe...dragging 50ft of O2 tubing through the house is not attractive no matter how much weight ya lose. :blushing:

GOOD LUCK. Just know that you CAN do it. It wont hurt, it will piss ya off a time or two but you'll be ok
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Despite what some other posters have said, nicotine does have a metabolic effect. People who regularly smoke a pack a day can burn up to 200 more calories in a day. I would suggest cutting your cals by 200 or so, or upping your exercise.

Source:

http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/weightgain/a/weightgainquit.htm

http://www.smokefree.gov/pubs/ffree3.pdf
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Despite what some other posters have said, nicotine does have a metabolic effect. People who regularly smoke a pack a day can burn up to 200 more calories in a day. I would suggest cutting your cals by 200 or so, or upping your exercise.

Source:

Let us not pretend*.
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/4/801.full

[*Edited: Let us not pretend that the science is settled that smoking has an effect on metabolism.]
  • envy09
    Options

Source:

Let us not pretend.
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/4/801.full

What point are you trying to make?

"...Smoking a single cigarette has been shown to induce a 3% rise in EE within 30 min (19). Smoking 4 cigarettes each of which contained 0.8 mg nicotine increased resting EE by 3.3% for 3 h (20). In regular smokers whose metabolism was assessed in a metabolic ward, smoking 24 cigarettes in 1 d increased the total EE from 2230 to 2445 kcal/d, and stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system activity could be involved."

ps: Nice Source!
  • BurtHuttz
    Options

"...Smoking a single cigarette has been shown to induce a 3% rise in EE within 30 min (19). Smoking 4 cigarettes each of which contained 0.8 mg nicotine increased resting EE by 3.3% for 3 h (20). In regular smokers whose metabolism was assessed in a metabolic ward, smoking 24 cigarettes in 1 d increased the total EE from 2230 to 2445 kcal/d, and stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system activity could be involved."

Preface; I have nothing but respect for your personal fitness results, and high praise for your forum commentary as reliably informed and astute. Nonetheless, I don't believe in free energy. I believe you can take stimulants, which nicotine is, and which has an appetite-suppressing effect in addition to heart rate, jitteriness, etc effects. In that regard I was dead, damned wrong earlier when I stated that nicotine was metabolically irrelevant.

What is more a little more accurate to my conceptual intent, personal observations, and beliefs is that you simply don't have to eat more because you quit smoking - absence of appetite suppressants does not need to equal increased intake. Additionally, you don't burn meaningfully, measurably less because you quit smoking. All the cumulative effects, including increased heart rate, are not meaningful; in statistics 3% is often the margin for error, not a cause for concern.
  • envy09
    Options

Preface; I have nothing but respect for your personal fitness results, and high praise for your forum commentary as reliably informed and astute. Nonetheless, I don't believe in free energy. I believe you can take stimulants, which nicotine is, and which has an appetite-suppressing effect in addition to heart rate, jitteriness, etc effects. In that regard I was dead, damned wrong earlier when I stated that nicotine was metabolically irrelevant.

What is more a little more accurate to my conceptual intent, personal observations, and beliefs is that you simply don't have to eat more because you quit smoking - absence of appetite suppressants does not need to equal increased intake. Additionally, you don't burn meaningfully, measurably less because you quit smoking. All the cumulative effects, including increased heart rate, are not meaningful; in statistics 3% is often the margin for error, not a cause for concern.

I totally agree with your last statement. Just because you quit smoking, doesn't mean you need to eat more. We are ultimately in control of our own eating habits, and should take responsibility for ourselves. OP, if you find yourself with an increased appetite, its up to you to resist or compensate in the way you see fit. Although, I would say that if you have been smoking a pack a day, I would suggest upping your workouts. It will help with your appetite, and increase your metabolic rate.

To emanyalpsid, I love your response. You have gained my respect today.
  • CmeATtheGym
    CmeATtheGym Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good for you, I wish you the very best with your success. I believe cold turkey is the best way to go, I used fragrance when my will power started to fail. Smell something nice, dab on some perfume . Driving and that first cup of coffee were the worst time for me. Just stick it out , you may actually feel so much better. Be sure to clean out the car and stick something else in the ashtray ( if you still have one)
  • Pheeia666
    Options
    My friend quit smoking and she went to gym as soon as she felt like a smoke or doing some art and craft stuff, doing chores that you have been putting of for years, visiting friends. It's all about distraction good luck.
  • cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I switched to portion snus (in a little packet, no loose tobacco in the teeth or anything). I still get the tobacco, but none of the lung effects, and the "hit" is slower and longer lasting. My only issue was adjusting to the taste, but I bought a lot of different flavored varieties to help with that. The Swedish studies on health effects of snus vs. cigarettes are interesting, too. That said, quitting altogether would probably be better, I just wasn't willing to at the time. If you are, more power to you.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I quit 7 years ago and have never had a single smoke since that day.
    Increased hunger and weight gain, its all a myth. It only happens when you try to replace smoking with something else - which in all honesty is not uncommon for people already suffering from a form of addiction.

It all comes down to will power. Just be strong and remove temptations, avoid friends that smoke and social situations that expose you to it for a little while until you get your bearings.
    If you need to, nicotine patches are a good way to reduce cravings, but try to wean yourself off them quickly.

It does help to find something to replace the time (and money) you otherwise would have spent on smoking, and given that you're no longer buying cigarettes, you'll have a little extra money to start, expand on, or look for a new interest with.

Its such a positive thing you are doing for your life, its not easy but stick with it, its worth it.

This ^ i never had weight gain with mine... just dont replace one habit with another (a lot of people replace smoking with eating, which is why they gain.) Instead.. if you feel like smoking.. go walking! NEVER EVER use another tobacco product like chew, or snus or anything.. do you want your lips to get holes in them and get cancer? YUK.. no. dont do that. Mouth cancer is HORRIBLE. Please dont do that.
    I found that just cold turkey was the way to go! Getting the nicotene any other way isnt quitting.. you are just slowly drawing out the withdrawls! its like slowly pulling off a bandaid!! just get it over with!

Good luck to you!! Im so proud of you for making this decision!

Oh, something that helped me.. sugar free cough drops and brushing my teeth! that helped me with not wanting to shove food in my mouth all the time. LOL Good luck to you!! You got this!! <3

Edited to add that when you clean out your car.. slice an apple in half and put in the car, windows up. half an apple in each floorboard (4 seater, 2 whole apples cut in half.... ) leave over night. This absorbs stale smoke and leaves your car smelling fresh! Also, get a sponge (with a scrubby side) and some white vinegar and some paper towels and clean inside of the windows. Just dip sponge in the vinegar in a bowl.. use the scrubby side to scrub the glass.. and wipe with paper towels until dry!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in July. I started losing weight in July. I figured if I was going to do them, I might as well do them together, that way I can use the excuse of eating to stop smoking or smoking to quit eating. Works so far.

Edited to add: I used patches and exercise to help with the smoking urges.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    All I can share is: I quit smoking in 2007, 3 pack/day smoker, I didn't gain a pound...I also "quit for someone" which isn't suppose to work either, but I didn't pick it back up when we split...I don't consider myself a non-smoker tho' ...'Just' a smoker who currently doesn't.

Best of luck to you with it.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If you do gain a little weight, so what? Quitting smoking is going to lower your risk factor by a TON for all sorts of chronic diseases. You can deal with the weight stuff later, and it will come off with some effort and patience.

Good luck to you! You can do this :flowerforyou: