This CAN'T be right...

Options
I'm concerned at what I found on the scale 10 minutes ago. My intense workout started two days ago, though I had been doing some milder workouts the day or two before that. And this is only my third day using MFP. And I have lost 3.5 pounds? I'm not complaining that I'm losing weight, but that seems like too much, WAY too soon. Should I slow down?

If this helps, my legs and butt muscles are so sore right now that I can barely walk normally.

But still, I don't want to make myself sick. Is it normal to lose so much to start with?

Replies

• shannoneflynn
    Options
    You might just be losing a lot of water weight...give it a few days before you panic! :-)
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    In the 1st week I lost like 6 pounds....butttt then I gained it back lol
  • B4its2L8
    B4its2L8 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sounds like may be water weight. The first week usually is mainly water weight and then you kinda level out. Congrats though! It's still a loss!
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    It could be some water weight lost. My weight goes up and down all the time for no real reason, I wouldn't slow down unless you feel it's too much. You may find that your weight will go up a bit again later in month for no reason if it's water.
    I'd keep at it, sounds like your body is responding well to what your doing :o)

Oh... and Welcome to the site, I love it!!
    Mel xx
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 lbs the first week I was on here and then nothing for 3 weeks and now I seem to be losing again. The first week of a new exercises and/or nutrition program you are likely to drop a lot of water weight.
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    I wouldn't be to concerned yet. If you get a chance check out the link. It is really helpfu.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    See, I was completely unaware that I would lose 'water weight'. Does that tell you how wholly ignorant I've been all these years of being healthy?

Thanks ladies. I feel better after readings your responses.
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    It's normal to loose like that when you just start working out... you're weight will fluctuate a bit while you gain muscle and loose water weight. Good luck and welcome to the site!! :flowerforyou:
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Even if you're not dieting, weight can fluctuate several pounds from day to day depending on when you weigh yourself. Like the others said, just give it some time to get the whole picture. On the other hand, congratulations on your initial loss!!! :)
  • Atomaszewski
    Options
    Congrats! What a great start. It could also be that your metabolism got a kick start. Probably by week three you should be seeing a steady smaller loss if you keep up the good work!:bigsmile:
  • wendyannhall
    wendyannhall Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's water weight, and good job on working out... however, there is such thing as too much too soon... Not necessarily in the weight loss at this point, but don't overdo the exercising right off the bat. The body NEEDS time to heal after you tear your muscles... every time you do any sort of weight or resistance training, you're tearing your muscles. A good balance that I have found is this: Work PARTS of the body, not the entire thing, and trade off. One day, work on legs, the next, arms and upper body. Tailor your workout to what you WANT, not what you don't. For example: If you're afraid of losing your boobs, DON'T do a thousand reps on the peck machine. It's just common sense. I like to work out hard at the gym 3 days a week, walk the other three (alternate them) and take one day off from working out. This really works for me. In the past, I lost 60 lbs in 9 months.... I know what works for me... it's all about willpower, ya know?

Another thing to be aware of is that MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT. So, yes, losing 'weight' is a good thing, but record your inches as well. Measure yourself every time you weigh, because there will be times when you DO gain weight, but it's from building and toning your muscles, not from that one cookie you squeezed in last week. So don't freak... always be proud of yourself because one ounce of self doubt can send you spiraling downwards in a hurry. YOU CAN DO IT.