What makes you over eat?

Options
I have read time and time again that overeaters usually eat because of some kind of emotional strain. If we can find what's missing in our life maybe we can finally overcome this vicious cycle of eat-gain-diet-lose . Ok so I gave it some serious thought and came to the conclusion that I have been giving,giving, giving to my hubby and 3 kids and not taking. So thats why I joined a gym and luckily stumbled onto this wonderful site that really helps. I'm also planning to finally join that art class I haven't had time for all these years. Yes my family WILL survive if I'm gone for a couple of hours. To tell you all the truth everyone is happy that Im doing things for me because I'm not so grumpy now, (and its keeping me from eating all the time) So what's your excuse for eating too much?

Replies

• peggy
    peggy Posts: 25
    Options
    I have read time and time again that overeaters usually eat because of some kind of emotional strain. If we can find what's missing in our life maybe we can finally overcome this vicious cycle of eat-gain-diet-lose . Ok so I gave it some serious thought and came to the conclusion that I have been giving,giving, giving to my hubby and 3 kids and not taking. So thats why I joined a gym and luckily stumbled onto this wonderful site that really helps. I'm also planning to finally join that art class I haven't had time for all these years. Yes my family WILL survive if I'm gone for a couple of hours. To tell you all the truth everyone is happy that Im doing things for me because I'm not so grumpy now, (and its keeping me from eating all the time) So what's your excuse for eating too much?
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    I overeat because of working midnight shifts, I have a tendency to eat four large meals a day instead of the three I use to. This site is helping me see how I can spread calories over a 24hour period. I also have trigger foods....one small amount of sugar in treats or higher sugar foods and I am starving for he rest of the day
  • fessler
    Options
    A lot of it is mental...however much of it is physical. When our bodies are tired...they tell you to eat for energy...when our bodies are cold...they tell you to eat...because the digestion process provides warmth (due to energy output)...there are also 3-hunger mechanisms in the brain...carbohydrate driven, fat driven, protein driven...each of us has one that fires more than others...it is learning how to suffice each...if one is ignored...you will over eat!

Hope that helps out!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Food!! I love food. I also get the wants when I am mad at my husband!!!!! But, mostly it is I LOVE FOOD!
  • lovelygirls
    Options
    I pick at whatever my kids don't eat as well as eating my own meals and picking from the fridge when I get in from work. Also my husband has a sweet tooth and always buys cakes and chocolate, not to mention yummy cheese and dips when he does the food shopping....
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I eat in the evenings, when my willpower is nil because I'm tired, and if I am stressed on top of it, re: a really tough day, then I really overeat. It's almost like your body is totally out of whack and craves comfort because it is stressing - so usually lots of carbs. Unfortunately, it helps initially, but then you realize that you've just sabotaged yourself. This lovely roller coaster ride of life. Sometimes I wish God would just hit me with a Mac truck and get it over with, you know what I mean...but then another week passes, and things don't seem so bad. Guess you'd never appreciate the small things in life, if you never had to deal with the kaka.
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    One habit I've had to break is the CONSTANT eating at my desk! I had gotten so there was always something to munch on. My job involves a lot of "thinking time" and keyboarding when I have writing assignments (I am a paralegal), and having goodies to munch on seemed to keep my mind working (at least that's what I told myself!). Now, if I eat at my desk it is a conscious decision, and I make sure I can work it in to my calorie allotment for the day.
  • krissyds
    Options
    With my job boredom seems to be what makes me eat, I sit in a rig camp all day and dont do much of anything... I have to try and occupy myself and not think of the food...
  • peggy
    peggy Posts: 25
    Options
    With my job boredom seems to be what makes me eat, I sit in a rig camp all day and dont do much of anything... I have to try and occupy myself and not think of the food...
    I once had a job like that. But what I did is learn Italian (or at least start to learn Italian ) from a do it yourelf book. You can also try drawing or crosswords. And if cravings get too much, you should have healthy snacks. Carrots or cerial bars ya know the ones that won't make you regret it later in life. Hope I have helped:smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    I eat at night - well I eat all day, but I want carbs at night. So I have taken to exercising at night, having a quick snack right after, and then take a shower: and I think about what small snack I can have after the shower and before bed. Preferably protein and veg, NOT carbs - which do lead to more carbs cravings.

I don't really want to eat much after the exercise anyway, as the endorphins have kicked in; so it is easy to pick something good.

cm
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I have a bad eating habit not usually addressed by the diet books. I'm a social eater. Whenever other people are eating, I want to eat.
    I'm trying to eat more slowly to even this out. My husband is the slowest eater ever and I've learned to sit and talk to him while he eats. Sometimes I have to get up and wash the plates though, just to keep from refilling.

I also almost never feel full. My joke is whenever someone says, "I'm so stuffed," I ask. "what is that like?"
  • tdroseler
    Options
    i don't think there is any one thing that makes me eat...unless you count my hand...:tongue:
    i just eat, unfortunately. It is just a plain old obsession for me. I eat for a reason, or for no reason at all. I love food, i love cooking, i love recipes, i love flavors, i love absolutely everything about the food i eat...except what it does to me.

I think in my younger years i ate to cover different emotioins, but now, i just eat. Never feeling full doesn't help me any.

Although, now that i have been here for a month, however, i do things differently. Recording everything i eat, seeing how to keep it all under or equal to what im supposed to have...i do notice more of when i feel hungry. I still never feel full, but that is a good thing, lol

I still obsess about the planning of meals, and the recipes...but i focus on the keeping it healthy.

I could very easily go back to just eating all the time, but i don't want to...i want to have control over the food, not give up my control to the food.
    I guess im a foodaholic, lol...poor humor to some im sure...but you get my drift. Unfortunatly one cannot "give up" food, like you work to recover from an addiction. We actually need food to live. Thus the motto....Food is fuel i find mottos help me lots