Vegetarian buddies?!

Options
I just started my veg-head journey, but I'm already really enjoying it and not really missing meat at all.

I decided to become a vegetarian after I watched Forks Over Knife's and Food, Inc. I know they promote a vegan diet, but I'm just not ready for that. Haha.

My fiber has been tripled since I started and I actually don't feel bloated for once.

Anyone like to eat food and lots of it? Add me!

Replies

• luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I decided to go plant based after seeing that movie too. Feel free to add me! :)
  • lisaloumn2
    lisaloumn2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Been plant based myself since July with a few missteps along the way. Tried vegan for about 45 days, but missed cheese and butter too much (not so much the dairy as I have been drinking almond Milk for a while). Don't miss meat at all and have actual felt ill the few times I have eaten it since July.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Ohh! Me me me!! I've been a veggie for ummm... 15? years and I eat LOTS. Added you! Love vegetarian friends :)
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    How many carbs do you guys eat? I've noticed my carb intake has gone up a lot since.
  • csm1021
    csm1021 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 5 years. I try to eat vegan when I can mostly at home, I travel a lot for work and it can be difficult avoiding cheese.

Food over Forks and Food Inc are great movies. You might also want to watch Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

Feel free to add me.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I saw that movie 8 months ago, and it changed my life. It has been a journey that started with trying out a vegetarian diet for a while and eventually i went vegan. Feel free to add me.

You will start to just feel better and better as the days go by. Going vegan was the best decision i ever made. I feel younger than i have in years, and every part of my body works better. Congratulations on your good dietary decision.

Welcome to Healthy
    Population: You
  • toggerr
    toggerr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am in my first week in the vegetarian club too. So far I love it! I have decided I will try it for a month and then decide if I can take that extra step to vegan. We shall see.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    You might also want to watch Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.
    I second this.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    How many carbs do you guys eat? I've noticed my carb intake has gone up a lot since.

Depends on the day, but it's usually 150-200 grams. I'm not on a low carb diet so I don't worry about it, though. It hasn't hindered my progress at all personally!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for over 20 years, I don't seem to have issue with my carbs, at least not how MFP set up my macros,feel free to add me or just peruse my diary.
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    I second this.

I've actually watched half of it. I need to finish the second half. I actually watched all three of these movies in one day.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    As long as you limit vegetable oils and dairy, your fat intake will ultimately drop, leading to your body becoming a more efficient carb burner. (Avoid processed carbohydrates. You wont have problems with carbs from unprocessed fruit or veggies)
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    As long as you limit vegetable oils and dairy, your fat intake will ultimately drop, leading to your body becoming a more efficient carb burner. (Avoid processed carbohydrates. You wont have problems with carbs from unprocessed fruit or veggies)

So basically I should just watch WHAT I eat instead of my macros? Makes sense. Veggies have carbs in them and they shouldn't count! lol
  • Rocbola
    Options
    I second this.

I've actually watched half of it. I need to finish the second half. I actually watched all three of these movies in one day.
    The day i watched Forks Over Knives and FSND in the same day was the day i made the best decision of my life.
  • Rocbola
    Options

So basically I should just watch WHAT I eat instead of my macros? Makes sense. Veggies have carbs in them and they shouldn't count! lol
    Fruits and veggies, eat all you want
    Everything else, be careful.
    That's the way i see it, anyway. Everything counts, but if you get to the point where you are completely on a whole foods plant based diet, eating a variety of foods, like the one recommended by Dr's Esselstyn, Campbell, Barnard, and Mcdougall, you wont need to worry about counting anything. You will get full on fiber and water before you ever eat too much of any particular macro or micro.
  • PeriwinklePineapple
    Options
    Hi! I havent eat meat/poultry for 7-8 years, but I do still eat fish at this point. Love sushi. And salmon. And calamari lol However, think im going to give quitting seafood a go soon too, definitely need more veggie friends to share ideas with.
  • bdunt2646
    bdunt2646 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i just began my journey on a vegitarian lifestyle 3 days ago!!! feel free to add me!!
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian as well- feel free to add me if you like! (I do a 40-30-30 carb/protein/fat ratio and it's working super well for me right now),
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian! Feel free to add :)
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me fellow veggies!

I was a vegetarian for 5 years. For the past year I had been eating small amounts of meat until very recently when I decided to return to a vegetarian diet. I should say pescatarian actually since I do eat fish occasionally, and take fish oil daily.