Walking pains?

Options
So I am just coming back to exercise after over a year of a completely sedentary lifestyle. I decided I would start with walking during my lunch breaks around my office, which is situated on top of a hill. I started yesterday, and made the biggest incline the end of my walk. I noticed a slight burning in my lower legs as I got back, but dismissed it.

Today, I decided to go the opposite direction, so I went down the biggest incline first, then came back up a more gradual incline. Around the flat part of the middle of my walk, the burning came back, and toward the middle of the gradual incline on my way back, I actually had to stop and sit down for a minute and wait for the pain to go away; it started on the tops of my feet and went up to my lower shins.

I have a feeling that it may be partly due to the shoes I've been walking in - I've forgotten to bring my cross trainers along both days and have been walking in Chucks. =/ Could this be all it is? I wouldn't think that it's pulled muscles, or could it be? I honestly have no idea. I do know that I want to get it figured out, though, because I don't want to give up the walks if I can help it.

Have any of you experienced anything similar?

Replies

• Dayspringwriter
    Options
    Yes, your shoes make all the difference in the world. The pain is just a reminder of how long its been since you exercised last. You will be fine. Walking shoes will make your walk more pleasant.
  • wendyannhall
    wendyannhall Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    They're called shin splints-and they're very painful.

The information in this article is helpful. http://walking.about.com/cs/medleg/ht/htshinsplints.htm

Another thing that helps is drinking lots of water prior to walking and taking a potassium supplement... Good Luck!
  • msantamaria
    Options
    Hey Heather,
    When I started jogging I got a similar burning pain above the ankle around to below the knee. I told my fitness instructor at school my symptoms and she said I had shin splines. From your explanation it sounds like you have it too. There's no cure, but it's recommended to ice the area after your workout and do stretches. My pain goes and comes, the more I exercise the less I have the pain. I hope that helps, good luck with the exercising.
    Monica
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    chucks may not be the best walking shoe but what you are feeling from my understanding is the muscles that connect your feet to your legs and after a year of doing nothing you will have sore muscles in those areas. The burning sensation is your body asking you what you think you are doing, as long as you can still move and don't feel any obvious pull you should be fine. Make sure to take a rest day every couple of days to avoid shin splints. Otherwise, good job getting back into the swing of things.

Oh, and back to the shoes, everyone is different but a pair of cross trainers or running shoes are probably a better idea than chucks. chucks provide no real support or cushioning and to avoid other problems a decent pair of runners is a good idea. Asics, new balance, saucony, mizuno are all good brands and range in price. I am not a fan of Nike for runners but they are good shoes as well.

Also, to ease pain you should try to do RICE, this is a method used to alleviate pain from training. Rice is for REST, ICE, COMPRESS and ELEVATE. If possible try to at least elevate your feet when back at work and then ice and rest and if needed compress at home, compression can come from wrapping your feet with ace bandages or wearing a tight pair of socks.
  • TheMotherAwesome
    TheMotherAwesome Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    They're called shin splints-and they're very painful.

The information in this article is helpful. http://walking.about.com/cs/medleg/ht/htshinsplints.htm

Another thing that helps is drinking lots of water prior to walking and taking a potassium supplement... Good Luck!

Thank you for this! I was wondering if shin splints could be the culprit, and it sounds like it is. I'll be sure to follow the tips outlined in this article.
  • thomlora
    thomlora Posts: 16
    Options
    I so love that comment!
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Owies!!! I get shin splints when wearing the wrong shoe...and with my horrible flat feet almost all shoes are teh wrong shoes! Hope it gets better soon!
  • Oldroller
    Oldroller Posts: 11
    Options
    I started walking three months ago. Every other day, I walk three miles on my one hour lunch break. So far, I've walked 90 miles, burned over 10,000 calories, but....I do it in pain. I have the same problem with the shin splints but worse is my hip joints. I can almost feel the ball grinding in the socket. That is where I feel the worst pain. About six years ago, I was riding my motorcycle and had a tractor trailer run me over. Literally run over my left leg which now has a 16" long titanium rod screwed into my tibula. So I think that may be the cause of my pain. I have brand new shoes and that's made no difference. I'm even thinking I might have to stop walking and try using an elliptical machine instead. Sucks because I really enjoy walking outside.

Edited to add. I've stopped walking on hard pavement and instead on the side on grass or dirt. Seems to help.