exercise diet, I'm not eating enough to function

Hi all,

I've been using MFP on and of over the last year and it's great, so I'm going to start using it a lot more and hopefully keep losing weight.

I went to the gym today to do CXworxs and I just couldn't keep up, I wanted to just lie down and take a nap (I've been up 3 hours!) I felt really weak and a bit light headed. I had 2 bananas and some mixed nuts an hour or so before I went. It occurred to me that I need to sort my eating out... I don't want to be skinny, I want to be fit... I think you can see what I have been eating and it's not much of anything really (I've been on the heartbreak diet for the last 3 weeks) I want to keep it as natural as possible with fruit and veg, but I don't think I'm getting enough energy from them with what I'm able to eat before I get full, I also want to stay away from bread, supplements and sugar .... so any suggestions on what simple fuel I should be eating is great :)

BTW I live in a hostel, with limited food space and kitchen equipment...

Thanks guys :)

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Your diary isn't open.
  • Changed the settings now...
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    So eat. Yogurt, eggs, peanut butter, avocado, lean meats, use oils to cook, whole grains, cheese. There is no reason you can't eat more than 600 calories a day.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    yeah, you are starving yourself. Protein. Eggs, Milk, soy, meat, cheese. Any of it. No matter what you eat, you just need to eat more in general. Try to at least eat the calories MFP give you.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    You are correct, you are not eating, you are just "snacking," and that will get you nowhere.

Get a full breakfast, lunch and dinner with good carbs, lean protein and healthy fats. If you are a vegetarian, have yogurt, eggs, beans, cheese, peanut butter. You are eating too much sugar and after a while you will feel a "crush" feeling and lack of energy. No good for exercising.

Have a protein drink once a day to bust your protein intake if you don't eat animal products, and eat more than 600 to 800 calories a day. It will do your body good.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    You barely eat any protein.
  • I have been trying to, but I've been busy feeling sorry for myself... I thought I was doing well, eating quite healthy at times when I wanted to eat my weight in chocolate!

The only whole grains I can think of are bread and rice, are there any others? Just putting some ideas together now :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    Please tell me most days you are forgetting to log food?

Please?

Because if not... you are doing your body a lot of harm.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    You are going to make yourself very sick by doing this kind of diet and exercising 3 hrs in 1 go.

Up your food intake, diet need to be balanced for your body, brain to function properly. Eat carb, protein, fruits and vegetables, thats what your body badly needs.

And for exercises, keep to 60-90 mins at 1 go, you are just stretching your body too much, easily get injured.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    You are not eating enough. Not hitting the minimum amount of carlories and you won't lose weight this way and you will make yourself sick. Your body will revolt. This kind of eating hurts your body, your brain, your spirit -- everything functions badly when you do not eat enough. Eat enough and you will want to exercise. More protein, good fats & carbs.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    You are essentially starving yourself and will end up in hospital, basically, if you carry on. I do not know if you have an eating disorder or are just lacking in knowledge, or have obstacles in the way of your eating properly, but regardless...
    Why are you not eating proper meals?
    Can you not have oatmeal, soups, yoghurt, avocado, hard boiled eggs, brown rice, quinoa, sweet/baked potatoes, vegetables, fish or beans(canned are probably more convenient for you if drained and rinsed well), nuts, cottage cheese/cheeses etc etc.
  • wow ok.. did I not say that I've not been eating right for the last 3 weeks.. I know this, and don't need anybody jumping all over it and being judgemental.... I am here for ideas of what foods to eat to fuel exercise instead of just eating more and upping calories.

I'm not eating proper meals because I travel a lot and I don't cook for myself often, can't afford to eat out either so I just keep it simple.

Also when did I exercise for 3 hours?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I have been trying to, but I've been busy feeling sorry for myself... I thought I was doing well, eating quite healthy at times when I wanted to eat my weight in chocolate!

It's better fuel for your body to eat a bunch of chocolate than starve on 600 calories of healthy food.

Anyway, eating 1200 calories isn't hard when you sit down and plan out your day instead of being afraid of eating.

Have a couple of eggs and a piece of toast for breakfast. 2 Large eggs = 160 calories. Toast = 120 calories
    Have a nice sized sandwich for lunch with a piece of fruit.
    Try meat and veggies for dinner, maybe whole wheat pasta.

And in between all of that, you can have snacks. A banana, a yogurt, a cookie, some fruit with peanut butter, a few crackers, chips, a granola bar.
  • Nanba007
    Nanba007 Posts: 77 Member
    Get some can tuna/chicken that will help you with your protein. Just keep asking questions, you will get it figured out. Good luck.
  • Ok, so I should be eating at least 1200 calories a day and I will plan my food better instead of just snacking though the day... I've got some good ideas of things to eat now, how do I know what a balanced meal is and how do I work out if it's balanced?
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Even if you have nowhere to cook, cereal is a good option. Peanut butter sandwiches. Something.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    I might have misunderstood when you say up for 3 hours, I thought you were up exercising for 3 hours.

If some of us are sounding harsh, hope you take it seriously, cos we really want to see everyone healthy here, and only by being more direct, I guess we are hoping to help.

For balanced and nutritious det, read up on the following:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/treatments/healthy_living/nutrition/healthy_balance.shtml

http://www.hpb.gov.sg/HOPPortal/health-article/2638

Print out the food pyramid.

Hoe this helps and all the best.