What does it mean when...?

Options
I do NOT crave sweets. I could pass up chocolate, ice cream, brownies and sugar all day long.

My weakness is salty things. Chips, crackers, cheese, beef jerky, etc. Is there something I'm lacking in my diet that could be causing these cravings? I'd like to find a way to curb these cravings, and move forward. I literally salivate when I see the saltines in my cabinent. I'm thinking about feeding them to the ducks in the lake down the road to remove the temptation, but my daughter snacks on them from time to time.

HELP.

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. What I did is only eat one serving of these things. I have chips everyday at lunch, but only one serving. That way, I limit the fat and salt. DON'T eat out of the bag, and don't eat things that are unplanned if you can help it. The night before, sit down and plan out your next day's menu. Add in a few saltines or chips and watch your sodium for other parts of the day. This has definitely worked for me. As time goes on, the cravings lessen because you are still getting your salty fixes, just not as much as you used to. You can do it, it just takes some planning and perseverance! :)
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    I wonder if substituting something like triscuits would be good. I think they have a bit more fiber than regular crackers. Otherwise, I may alot myself one or two, like you said.

By the way, your photo is just gorgeous! You look like a freaking movie star. haha. :)
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Sweets don't interest me in the least. Salty foods are my downfall.
  • TalonaCat
    Options
    I think I'll do a little research. I thought I was just a weirdo. But I guess I'm not alone.
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i love love love rold gold pretzel sticks and eat about 200 calories a day in them!! BUT the reason i crave salt is that i drink a TON of water in a day - the body wants a balance between solutes and fluid in the body so if you are saturated with salt it needs water to flush it and if you are saturated with water it needs salt to fill it properly.
    so. . . feel free to eat salt as long as you are within your calories and are drinking lots and lots of water. (ps- i love flavored water in order to drink enough in a day - now i go crazy and drink too much!! lol)
  • TalonaCat
    Options
    Ooooh, that makes sense. There is rarely a time that goes by that I don't have a bottle of water in my hand.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Definitely not alone, I love salty snacks the best.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I would check out this article then...
    http://caloriecount.about.com/metabolic-types-eating-ft93247
  • TalonaCat
    Options
    So, apparently I'm a fast oxidizer. I had no idea. Thank you for posting the article!
  • nsking83
    nsking83 Posts: 145
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this! The guys I work with think I'm so weird b/c I'm a "girl" and I don't like chocolate, or really anything sweet. I want salty things ALL THE TIME. Chips and salsa, pretzels with cheese, rotel dip.....yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

As I sit and post this....funnily enough....I'm eating Cheez-Its (my counted-out-half-a-serving, mind you :wink: ) when I have 4 boxes of GS cookies on top of my fridge!
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    how about pickles? would that satisfy the craving?
  • TalonaCat
    Options
    I actually looooove pickles, so long as they aren't sweet.
  • wendyannhall
    wendyannhall Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Pickles are an awesome way to get salt in your diet, but always drink the water to balance out your sodium intake. Another thing I've found is eating almonds roasted with sea salt. Sea salt can become a salt-craver's best friend, because it has a LOT less sodium than table salt and doesn't raise your blood pressure like regular salt does. AND Almonds are an appetite suppressant... kill two birds with one stone! :) Blue Diamond sells them in a handy little 8 oz container with one ounce ticks on the side to let you know how much you're eating! High in calorie but good for you... a great snack :)
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread and especially liked the link, reinforced something I had been feeling, i.e. need to cut my carbs and increase fat a bit.