How to get back in the boat?

Options
I was always a active person i would get up super eary to work out daily like a ritual and still worked both jos ,did the mom taxi and everything else But i just do not have any energy! I havent been abl to exercise on a daily basis in months i will do good for a few days then i am soooo tired that i just try to get that extra little bit of sleep and do not exercise. I have been so fatigued latly. I am drinking my water and taking vitamins but nothing is helping. By the time i sit down at the end of the day i am sooo exhausted that i usually crash sitting up watching tv by 10:00 I just do not know what to do to get it back . I am only 31 i shouldnt always be this tired! Help

Replies

• jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Sounds obvious but if this tiredness is a recent event (as in you haven't always felt as tired as you have in recent months) I would personally go for a check up at the doctors and have a general health MOT.
  • LisabethG
    LisabethG Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have lost 40 lbs, exercise regularly, and feel fatigued daily!! I had a sleep study done. I have
    sleep apnea. I will be wearing a sleep machine to bed soon. Hoping it boosts my energy levels.
    Most people I talk to say the improvement is immediate in feeling energized!! Talk with your doctor.
    And sleep apnea isn't just a problem with obese people. Skinny people suffer from this too.
    I can't imagine being able to stay awake past 9 pm!! I'm looking forward to feeling refreshed when
    I wake up. :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's not like a boat, it's not an 'all or nothing' thing.

That said, like above, best check with your doctor.

After that I'd look at your diet and compare it to your activity level, to check you're eating enough of the right stuff, and check you're sleeping enough. It could also be stress related.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I feel much higher energy now since I got the weight off and have worked in more activity and yoga/barre 3 in my life. That being said, I battle staying awake till 9 pm and staying asleep for 8 hours ... I can do about six hours pretty readily.

I have been tested by my Doctor and we agree my weight and physical activity goals are imperative to maintain an acceptable energy level and enjoyment of life. I know I could eat the same calories in chocolate cake as I do "super foods" and maintain my weight, but my goal is to be my best, so I continously look for the highest nutrition payoff in my calories.

The big life change I made this year is to not eat bread,pasta, rice or potatoes. I eat 2-3 servings of raw fruit a day, and fill in the rest with protein, yogurt, and bright and colorful vegetables. Avocados and nuts fill in for good fats. It works for me, I hope your visit with a doctor provides you a good diagnosis!
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at your iron and B vit levels recently? Especially if your periods have got a bit heavier? I am prone to anaemia for that reason and I never notice and remember to get a test until I start getting exhausted and miserable. Low level tiredness can go on for quite a long time before it gets bad.

It might be worth adding iron to your nutritional listing on your food plan just so you can see. Also taking extra B vit supplements for a couple of weeks to see if that makes a difference. The doc should be able to do a blood iron levels test for you, it's simple and the results will tell you exactly what is wrong, if anything is. But that's where I'd start, since you're healthy everywhere else.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I agree that a formerly active person who suddenly becomes too tired to do anything should get themselves to a doctor, asap.

Barring any deficiency in your bloodwork, it could be not that you are not sleeping properly as previously mentioned. Or even, you are super-stressed (and that affects everything from recovery from exercise to eating habits, motivation to sleep.). Or you are under-eating for your activity level.

Good luck swinging yourself back into it!

PS I should mention that a poorly structure exercise programme without proper recovery will also lead to the symptoms you are describing. The longer the period of incorrect over-training, the longer the period to recover from it will be. Rippetoe in "Practical Programming....." has a good section about this. I realise that the section is mostly targeted at athletes (and their coaches), but you may need to ask yourself what exercise programming you've been following and the reasons it's been assembled the way it has.......
  • Crookey21
    Crookey21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    i would say start off slowly. first start with walking then gradually start incorporating other strenuous exercises. samething happens to me but i think i try to do too much and get a lil worn out so i take a step back. hope u feel better. :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Probably not eating enough or getting the proper nutrients.
  • jessienmiller
    jessienmiller Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you all bunches, I will try to answer all of the questions that everyone asked .. I have been taking vitamins actually a B12 complex and biotin, I can not seem to take a daily vitamin as they make me sick to my stomach with or without food. I do plan on going to the Dr if this keeps up but due to financial reasons i can not go until January.
    As far as the Iron , thats tricky because i do not like meat at all so that probably is part of it but its not like i just stopped liking it ,i never liked meat. I hate milk also! I drink a ton of water .
    Sleep that is a whole other problem in itself! I have struggled with what seems to be insomnia off and on for about a year and a half. Here recently it seems like i cant sleep more than about 6 hours without taking nyquil> I only know that because i was getting a head cold and was exhausted so i took some one night and managed to sleep 10 hours! My doctor gave me a sleeping pill to take a night if needed last year but it was doing anything i would take it and be back up 4 hours later. Now that i am so tired all the time i do sleep 5-6 hours before waking up on my own but i always feel horrible upon waking.
  • pjnsydsmoma
    pjnsydsmoma Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i was never really active before.. But i struggle with finding energy. I am new to "being committed" to weight loss. I know if I was more active I could lose some weight.. but i feel drained at the end of each day.. need motivation. I take a multi vitamin each day that is all. my diary is over each day but I am not on a diet plan just want to lower my calorie intake and exercise more.
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    As far as the Iron , thats tricky because i do not like meat at all so that probably is part of it but its not like i just stopped liking it ,i never liked meat. I hate milk also! I drink a ton of water .

I'm vegetarian so don't get iron that way... in fact it's only through tracking my diet on here that I've realised I'm hardly getting anything in my diet either so no wonder I've been repeatedly anaemic. It *is* possible to sort this out with diet but if you're deficient you'll need to take tablets to get back to a healthy level. Your pharmacy might be able to do a cheap blood test.

You could try taking blackstrap molasses (either from the jar if you can handle it or you can get it in pill form) as this is high in iron. Green leafy vegetables and pulses also contain lots, and cook with iron pans if you have them. Iron deficiency might be responsible for your sleep problems so is worth looking at.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    IMO go and see your doctor.

Supplements are no substitute for a nutritious diet, you need the full complement of nutrients (vitamins, minerals, essential fats, protein, antioxidants) to fuel a busy lifestyle and workouts, to produce the hormones and enzymes that control every aspect of our wellbeing from energy to sleep. Micronutrients work synergistically and in opposition not in isolation, supplementing one or a small group can do more harm than good. Remember even athletes cycle their training, they don't go hard all year round that is the fastest route to overtraining syndrome or adrenal fatigue. You are treating your insomnia as if it is primary (a standalone health issue) when it could well be secondary (a symptom) to another health problem.

Not liking meat and milk simply means you need to research nutrition and find out what other sources of micronutrients there are, or train yourself to see food as fuel for recovery and wellbeing instead of solely about pleasure. I ate a poor diet until I got sick, fish and many vegetables made me gag. Now I eat so much better I just set my mind to it, kept tasting stuff like a toddler does, learned to hide the foods I didn't like so much in tasty sauces. Great information on the different micronutrients from the Institute of Health
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/list-all/Magnesium/
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Zinc-HealthProfessional/
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-HealthProfessional/

http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/APJCN/Volume20/vol20.2/Finished/3_1900_169-174.pdf
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2174691/