Weight fluctuation?

Options
So... I know that you are not supposed to weight yourself everyday, but I weighted myself yesterday and I was 125!!! I was so happy I made it public, I told all my co-workers!!! (the one that know I am trying to loose weight).
This morning, I was curious and weigthed myself again...wanted to see if it was real that I was at 125. Well....My weight was 127!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the HELL!!!! I was very good yesterday, I even worked out ! and I weighted myself in the morning!!! I feel very frustrated, I will now weigh mysefl again on Friday like I usually do...but come on! this doesn't make sense to me! :( I am actually streesed out and pissed!!!

Replies

• miss_alias
    Options
    Yes, that happens. Just relax and try to only count it once a week so you don't freak out day to day. Easier said than done because I'm in the same boat as you and tend to flip out when I see it go up.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Something to keep in mind is that weight doesn't tend to reflect the day directly before. I know when I weigh myself, it is generally a reflection of what I did 3-5 days before. Soooooo...keep that in mind when you weigh yourself. It may make things easier! (PS-I weigh myself pretty much every day, too. It's a great way to keep myself accountable!)
  • alydl79
    alydl79 Posts: 1
    Options
    LOL, I am in the same boat. I know that I am only supposed to weigh in weekly but I am so anxious to see my hard work paying off. Yesterday I weighed in at 126.4...so exciting and then today back to 127.8...ugh. but at least it's lower than the 128 from last week :) I just want to get to the point where at the end of the day it is where I want it to be.
  • jdejre_k
    jdejre_k Posts: 54
    Options
    Sometimes it happens. It could be water weight (especially if it is around your "time of the month") or if you ate too much sodium yesterday. Women's weight fluctuates up to 5 pounds within a month and up to 2 pounds within a day. It is completely normal!
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    That schtuff pisses me off too. It seems like you have to be an angel to lose weight, but it take nothing for a pound to reappear
  • Jazzy_Jayme
    Options
    I'm a chronic weigh every day offender as well. I also check my % of body fat with one of those hand held calculators. That seems to keep me motivated when the scale is fluctuating. :-)

Anyway, I also read that your muscles hold more water after a workout. Who knows? If it makes me feel better, sounds like a fact. Sodium does play a big part.

Keep up the good work!
  • KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Options
    I only weigh weekly for this very reason. I see better results that way and I look forward to friday where I get to see how I've done over the past week, rather than being discouraged by daily fluctuations.
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I finally got over this this time around, I weigh myself daily and used to get disheartened by any gains but now i dont. The reason being is that when i was eating too much I was overloading my body with a bunch of foodstuff that was hard to digest so without getting too gross, i could easily be carrying two days+ worth of food inside my digestive system. So when i start eating right i eat smaller portions of healthier food, my bodyweight drops fast as my body rids itself of the excess food burden. This time around in the first week I lost 7lbs! but only 2-3lbs *roughly* of that was actual fat loss. At the moment my problem is weekends, I stay within my calorie limit but i eat much more which means that by monday my weight is easily 2-3 or maybe even 4 lbs more than it was on friday morning for example which is when i tend to weigh the least as i tend to be good in the week. The key is to think big picture and as long as the overall trend is in the right direction there's not too much to worry about :0)
  • ragster
    ragster Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm with all these responses. I'm so keen to pass the 100kg (6kg to go) that I'm paranoid about the scales. So much that on Monday, my normal day for weighing came back as 108kg - a 2kg increase from last week. However, I checked again and got my son to read it and it was 106kg - I didn't have my specs on :laugh:

I do need to watch the sodium too, and the digestive blocking stuff... but as others have said, its the bigger picture thats important and don't get hung up on the weight loss per se, but go by how clothes fit and your general fitness level especially if you are exercising.

Muscle weighs more than fat, so as you lose fat by diet and gain muscle by exercise you can have a period of little or no weight loss. I think this has happened to me, and I have gone down 3 clothes sizes (and 4 in undies) yet the weight loss doesn't always reflect that.

Best wishes
    Mandy
  • nrojas
    nrojas Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you all! I was getting just sad, and I know that it happens but like one of you said, I have to be perfect to lose any weight but then it comes back in SECONDS!
    But I will get there slowly but surely :)
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It can be disheartening but just remember that if the weight comes on that fast its more than likely because you are full of food or water/fluid rather than fat, daily fluctuations are perfectly normal and over time you'll see they arent that significant :0)
  • artsyuno
    artsyuno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose an ounce for 3 days and then had dropped over a pound today. If you know you're eating right, don't try to sweat the individual day's weight. The work you're doing will catch up with you eventually.