fatigue

Options
I'd like some advice on the best thing to do if i don't feel like I can do much of anything....would it be exercise of what kind? stretching, eating meat, eating only veggies, drinking more coffee or cutting out all coffee? These are just some examples but I'm not sure the number one best thing to increase energy and be more productive. I find it is too much for me to prepare meals, chop veggies, move etc. (before you think I'm lazy, I used to be a runner and very dedicated to eating well. I have had ill health and injuries that changed me). I need to get started on SOMETHING in order to get the process rolling again. I'm lost and so very very tired.

Replies

• Lamon_
    Lamon_ Posts: 16
    Options
    Just move.
  • jjgonzalez30
    jjgonzalez30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    half a grapefruit in the morning with oatmeal in the morning. Drink plenty of water and just make sure your eating every 3 hours and keep moving.
  • toohot42
    toohot42 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you can find a Zumba Gold class in your area it will help get you moving again and also improve your mood. It is so much fun don't be afraid to try it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What is your height, weight and daily calorie intake?
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    You may want to see your doctor.
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Check your iron levels. Make sure to get the proper amount of iron. My wife had the same issue due to low iron.
  • tamtes2
    tamtes2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would first check in with your doctor to get an overall physical and talk to him/her on how to begin an exercise program and vitamin supplements.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    How is your sleep? Are you sleeping a solid 7-8 hours a night?
  • StacyJCrain
    StacyJCrain Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Start with your doctor and have some blood work done. Could be Iron, Vitamin D or B vitamins just to name a few. Could be more complicated such as thyriod problems or diabetes. It would be hard to say without having ruled out medical conditions first.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have chronic fatigue syndrome (among other things) and there are a couple of things that help me out. I like to do pilates (my doctor recommended it for the stretching) and I like to walk. I don't follow any specific food requirements. I wasn't always cleared to do pilates though so you really need to talk to your doctor and find out if there's something medical causing your fatigue. There are so many possible causes that none of us are going to be able to tell you what the problem is.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get enough sleep
    Go to the dr to rule out needing medical attention (or an iron deficiency, for example)
    Cut out caffeine if possible (I find if I have more than 1 cup of tea or caffeinated stuff a day, I crash)
    Stay away from things that will make you crash (usually high in refined sugar)
    Take it slow and make small changes (take a 5min walk, then move up to 10min, etc...the point is just get moving and it'll get better over time)
    For meals, try crockpot meals, freezer friendly meals or anything you can make in big batches. Make it once and eat it multiple times. Freezer friendly meals are great because once you do it a few times, you can mix them up so you're not eating the same thing every day. An easy breakfast is steel cut oats + brown sugar & raisins. Make 1 big batch, put it in glass jars and reheat daily.
  • samlankford
    Options
    sometimes get hit with massive fatuige, but it is not all the time (thankfully)... I have MS so it kinda comes with the territory I guess... sometimes I can push through the fatuige and workout anyway but I know my limits... I am pretty proud to say that I have done insanity, the asylum, and p90x2... pre ordered les mills combat... find something you LOVE DOING so that way you will want to do it, and maybe it will push your body past that barrier :smile:
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Do you take a multi vitamin?

Vitamin D supplement?

Vitamin B Complex?

All of these things will give you more energy. Eating a well balanced diet wthout a lot of processed stuff (i.e. sodium), water and some basic exercise works wonders.

Also...check with your doctor if this has been going on a while...
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? If this fatigue has been going on for more than a week you might want to see your physician, as it could be a symptom of something bigger.

Also it can't hurt to take a free depression screening online. Fatigue can be a major symptom of depression.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression/MH00103_D
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Sounds like CFS which I also think I have. It seems to be a question of management - balancing the fatigue against the exercise.

I've no idea how, so if you find out do tell me...
  • georgie304
    Options
    Diet and exercise will help to imporve your fatigue. It is hard to get started when you just aren't "feelin it"... But after a week you will be feeling tons better. So just get determined to do it and move! Eat right and move and it will take care of the rest.