You know what doesn't help me?

Options
It really bugs me that some of the 'ads' at the top of MFP website are food ads!! Come on!! I just saw a chili burger ad from Dairy Queen...seriously? I'm already struggling with evenings and weekends and don't need any visuals of food I shouldn't eat.
Just venting.....thanks!

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Omg, really?? I don't get those kind of ads. Most of mine are for fitness singles, certain machines and weight loss programs.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I have never noticed them either.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as arielle; I only see the "healthy" ads. But, think of it this way: if you see those ads and ignore them now, as hard as it may be, it will get easier in time and eventually will become just another ad that you don't even pay attention to. Food ads to me now do nothing; they don't produce cravings; only memories that say "I used to eat THAT?!?!?" :laugh: :wink:
  • portermonteal
    Options
    I think those ads are catered to your browsing history (thanks to spyware and stuff). Perhaps you don't have spyware, and so it just gives you generic ads. Or, perhaps you browsed some food sites before. I was browsing for white wedge suede boots, and the next day, i saw ads for white wedge suede boots!

171593.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    I think those ads are catered to your browsing history (thanks to spyware and stuff). Perhaps you don't have spyware, and so it just gives you generic ads. Or, perhaps you browsed some food sites before. I was browsing for white wedge suede boots, and the next day, i saw ads for white wedge suede boots!

171593.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

wow I wonder what kind of Adds people get who visit "adult sites" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    I brought this up in the website/suggestions section.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/87052-site-advertisements

The creator of the site said:
    We don't have that kind of granular control over what advertisers appear on the site. We just networks like Google Adsense, and Google targets ads to our site based on the kind of content the site contains. Since our site is food-related, a lot of food ads show up. Google doesn't seem to be smart enough yet to figure out that Dairy Queen isn't a good food when you're on a diet.

In any event, we don't specifically go out and solicit ads from fast food restaurants.

Hope that helps clarify things.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky...I've NEVER seen an ad on this site.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Haha I thought it was ironic that they showed me bumble and bumble ads... yet, it's probably from surfing their site!
  • afwingnut
    Options
    I don't see the ads at all. I use FIrefox as my web browser and have added the AdBlock plugin? Not only do I not see ads, I'm browsing at a much faster rate. Hope this helps.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I have come to the conclusion.... It is what you Look at most.. Right now I have been surfing for a special gift and thats the ONLY pop ups I get.... I thought it was weird... Now I know why...:)
  • dtremaine
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will try hard to ignore. Too funny-the post about visiting adult sites!! hahaha :laugh:
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Have no idea what Dairy Queen is, but don't think I have had any adverts for it. I get ads for low calorie meals, diet aids and fitness equipment mainly
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I have never noticed them either.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    The only ads I see are for myshape.com (which is totally fun, btw, girlies!)
  • portermonteal
    Options
    Karen Joy,
    You don't know Dairy Queen? The DQ???? Wow! I am so curious where you live? I grew up in Vegas, we had it there. I see it all over the country, countless references are made to it in movies.
    Basically, it's an old soft-serve ice-cream fast food place that I think might serve burgers, too, but it's known for it's frosties, or shakes, or whatever.
    :)
    PS. Ohhh.. I just went to your profile and see you are from England. Sorry... didn't realize. :)
  • katie30
    katie30 Posts: 55
    Options
    I don't see the ads at all. I use FIrefox as my web browser and have added the AdBlock plugin? Not only do I not see ads, I'm browsing at a much faster rate. Hope this helps.

Two thumbs up. The best thing I ever did was install this :)
  • jtapp9
    jtapp9 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    dtr, I see those same ads!! I also wondered about GINORMOUS hamburger ads on a fitness website :laugh: Maybe it is a regional thing since I am from AR also. I live in Jacksonville, right outside of Little Rock.