Failing!!

Options
I have been doing strength training and cardio. I think I eat pretty healthy. I weigh and measure everything!!!
And yet I have gained 3 pounds. What am I doing wrong???
I know my carb intake is high. Most of the carbs are from fresh fruit and vegetables. I thought that is what you should eat??? Should I be cutting back on that?
I think that I am getting plenty of protein, but maybe I'm wrong.
I just don't understand and I'm ready to give up!

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    When did you start strength training?
    Are you losing inches / clothes fitting better?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Firstly the ONLY time you fail with this is if you give up or if you continue to do the same thing over and over with the same results.

Can't really comment on the carb/protein/whether you're eating enough/too many calories issue unless you open your diary. Also no idea what your stats and goals are either. If you want constructive feedback on here you'll have to give us a little more to work with

How long have you been tracking for? If you have just started you could be retaining water.

Best thing you can do is not to give up. Try something different for a while
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    You are working out (adding muscle weight) and you are very close to your goal which I assume means that you are near or at your caloric equalibrium. You are so close to your goal weight that you probably need to concentrate on measurements and consider your gain as a combination of fluid and muscle. Both of those are good and indicate a healthy body. IMHO, if you know you are eating healthy and working out, those 3 lbs. should be considered success!
  • Amanda0926
    Amanda0926 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry! I didn't realize that my diary was locked. I just unlocked it. I am 5 ft 0 in. Now 122 pouds.
    I have been logging on MFP for 180 days. I have been eating healthy and working out for a year. I have lost 30 pounds, but then it all stopped. I have tried different workouts. But, I decided from research that I would do strength training. I have been doing body weight strength training for 30 minutes or so 6 days a week for a week and a half now I think. I am also doing one day of cardio for an hour.
    I am thinking about adding HIIT training a few times a week too now. But, honestly I just don't know what to do.
    I'm only 5ft tall, so 122 seems heavy to me!!!
  • sharoncasey60
    sharoncasey60 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY AGREE WITH PREVIOUS ENTRY............SHE SAYS IT ALL. DON'T QUIT. TRY SOMETHING NEW.
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You are working out (adding muscle weight) and you are very close to your goal which I assume means that you are near or at your caloric equalibrium. You are so close to your goal weight that you probably need to concentrate on measurements and consider your gain as a combination of fluid and muscle. Both of those are good and indicate a healthy body. IMHO, if you know you are eating healthy and working out, those 3 lbs. should be considered success!

This post hits it on the spot!!!
  • cajohn
    Options
    most women retain fluid close to menstruation.
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    IMO you are not eating enough. You are burning 500-600 claories a day above what you need for TDEE. I read a medical article once on here (I'll try and find it tonight when I get off work and send it to you) Basically it explained why if you fail to eat enough calories that you will not lose weight. The fix? Eat more calories. When the people in the research project did this, they gained a few pounds first, then lost it and broke through their plateau.

Your body has learned to live on what calories you are providing it and you are stuck on a weight. It sounds counter-intuitive, but you need to eat more to lose weight.

Here is the link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    IMO you are not eating enough. You are burning 500-600 claories a day above what you need for TDEE. I read a medical article once on here (I'll try and find it tonight when I get off work and send it to you) Basically it explained why if you fail to eat enough calories that you will not lose weight. The fix? Eat more calories. When the people in the research project did this, they gained a few pounds first, then lost it and broke through their plateau.

Your body has learned to live on what calories you are providing it and you are stuck on a weight. It sounds counter-intuitive, but you need to eat more to lose weight.

This is so true, I hit a plateau and was so fed up I went for a blowout meal and bam!! started losing weight again.

I am about 1/3 through my weight loss and have taken a while at maintenance calories to allow my body to rest and get used to the weight I am, I'm now ready to return to weight loss calories for another slice of weight to go!!
  • victorialkay
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 2 and I weigh 198 pounds now, I have been told by doctors that I should weigh between 7 stone 7 and 9 stone 9. If I weighed 7 stone, I would look I'll. this is because I hold my weight well.

What I'm trying to say is, everyone is different and you should concentrate on how you feel, being healthy and fat percentage.

If you need a goal, go for body fat. There are many downfalls to the scales, one being if you have no drunk enough water the scales can differ. Another being after weight training, your body can hold onto water the day after so......

Try using the Internet to work out your body fat and read up on what is a healthy body fat for you. Xx
  • victorialkay
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 2 and I weigh 198 pounds now, I have been told by doctors that I should weigh between 7 stone 7 and 9 stone 9. If I weighed 7 stone, I would look I'll. this is because I hold my weight well.

What I'm trying to say is, everyone is different and you should concentrate on how you feel, being healthy and fat percentage.

If you need a goal, go for body fat. There are many downfalls to the scales, one being if you have no drunk enough water the scales can differ. Another being after weight training, your body can hold onto water the day after so......

Try using the Internet to work out your body fat and read up on what is a healthy body fat for you. Xx

Excuse the spellings, I am on a iPad which autocorrects everything. X
  • bevokolanek
    Options
    Throw away your scale! Do it now! :-)

Don't pay attention to what "number" you are, its how you feel and look that's important. I use my clothing to judge how healthy and toned I am getting. When my jeans start falling off my hips and I have to go down another size, then I know I'm doing good. Remember muscle is going to weigh more than fat, so who cares what the scale says. :-)

Hope you have a wonderful day! And in my opinion there is no giving up, because we are making a lifestyle change to be healthier not just lose weight quick but to keep it off forever!!!! ;-)
  • deksgrl
    Options
    You are close to your goal weight, so you should set your MFP goal to lose half a pound a week. See if that gives you more calories. Also, eat your exercise calories.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Just because you had a gain doesn't mean you failed... weight loss isn't linear.

Your muscles may be retaining water due to your strength training routine. I doubt you are gaining any real muscle eating less than 1,200 cals a day net. You need to eat more. Set your goal to 0.5lbs per week and eat all your calories.

The smaller you are the slower it will come off and the smaller of a deficit you should have.

If you are doing heavy lifting don't pay attention to the scale. Take measurements and go from there.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Just because you had a gain doesn't mean you failed... weight loss isn't linear.

Your muscles may be retaining water due to your strength training routine. I doubt you are gaining any real muscle eating less than 1,200 cals a day net. You need to eat more. Set your goal to 0.5lbs per week and eat all your calories.

The smaller you are the slower it will come off and the smaller of a deficit you should have.

If you are doing heavy lifting don't pay attention to the scale. Take measurements and go from there.

This!! It is not fat or muscle gain on 1200 cals. It is water retention from your muscles repairing! Keep at it and forget the scale, you will love the results!
  • Amanda0926
    Amanda0926 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advise! My settings are at a half a pound a week. I'm trying to eat more protein, but I have discovered that when I have more protein powder I have some stomach issues.
    So, I just don't know.
    And as for how I feel.... I feel gross. My legs might be firming up, but to me it looks like my stomach is getting worse.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    3 words....Forks Over Knives. read it or watch the movie.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    But, I decided from research that I would do strength training. I have been doing body weight strength training for 30 minutes or so 6 days a week for a week and a half now I think. I am also doing one day of cardio for an hour.

You haven't been doing it long enough to see any changes. But do the strength training every other day to give your muscles a chance to repair. On the other days, do 30 minutes cardio. Take one rest day.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If you've lost 30lbs then you may need to recalculate your numbers. I didn't check your diary, but if you've been eating VLC and dropping weight your metabolism may have adapted by now, not to mention your body has become more efficient due to the workouts, so in other words, you may be using less calories to function than you were when you started... so if you're still eating the same as when you started... weight loss may stall. Hope that makes some sense.