HELP! Why am I so hungry all the time?

Options
2»

Replies

• bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    A quick fact, your crazy hunger is completely normal. Your metabolism has not adapted to the lower amounts of calories (which is good! you don't want it to adapt other wise it slows fat loss). Ghrelin is the main hormone associated with registering hunger receptors in the stomach, and communicate with hunger chambers in the brain. It is a mind game, where you have the advantage over your body as you know now that its just a hormonal response. And know this, you will not die if you do not eat for a few hours or until the next day. I know this because fast everyday for 20 hours a day and eat for 4 hours. With any diet, your bodies instinctual response is to resist as it is a FAT STORING MACHINE. Mind over body. So your stomach grumbles a little bit, so what? It's not going to collapse out of your butt.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    if you do not open your diary it is not really possible to say. there are things that typically help.

eat more protien
    eat more fibre
    drink more water
    eat 4-5 times a day
    hold on to your self-control- commit
    don't beat yourself up after a bad day, move on

This is a great recipe for long term too ...well said :flowerforyou:
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Your fat intake is far too low, eat more real food and less branded processed stuff - breakfast particularly is heavy on carbs but light on protein and fat, no water and fibre rich fruits or veggies to fill you up. That would be the meal I would focus on.
  • cajohn
    Options
    i've got this program on my lap top called Mind master , very cheap to download, and it's always working in the background
    for me sending subliminal messages about food exercise lifestyle anything you like.
    When I close the program I feel like I can't do it alone. This program is really good .Try it.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    just looked at your diary. maybe it's the shakes? i did a shake diet a little while back and i found it so hard to be satisfied by a cup of something that i just glugged down without enjoying.

for the same amount of calories as your shake and apple, i have a light wrap with light cheese, a veggie burger, lettuce, cucumber and tomato. or a veggie patty, a pack of steamfresh veggies and a salada with a slice of light cheese.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Your evening meals look fantastic but I haven't got a clue what all the powders and stuff for breakfast and lunch are. It's only a personal opinion but I don't think you need protein shakes unless you are an athlete, a balanced diet with real food really all you need.

Try having some porridge or oatmeal with fruit for breakfast, or omelette with vegetables (or be like me and have both). Proper food at lunchtime too, it doesn't have to be made fresh that morning unless you have restrictions on your food preparation such as no microwave if you work. For the same number of calories you could have a hearty homemade vegetable soup and either a small sandwich or salad. Find some good low calorie filling fruit or vegetable snacks, or oatcakes with a very small amount of cheese, or Greek yoghurt with fruit.

My diary is open as far as I am aware, feel free to have a trawl through for some ideas.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating lunch! An apple or a container of yogurt is not a meal.

Also, how quickly are you trying to lose? If you only have about 10 lbs to lose (and your profile picture shows that you are already slender), it might be more realistic for you to aim for only half a pound a week.

I won't go into the math of it, but how quickly you can reasonably expect to lose weight and be healthy is determine by the difference between your BMR (the number of calories you need to live) and TDEE (the number of calories you burn each day). Your target should be in between those two number, and you can find calculators for them online.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    also, about the medication you've started -

apart from my basic feeling that the only person they benefit is the rich dude whose pockets they line, have you read the adverse effects of them?

palpitations, tachycardia, hypertension, chest pain, CNS stimulation, headache, GI upset including constipation, dry mouth, altered taste, urinary disturbance, rash, impotence, libido change, facial oedema, cardiac arrest/failure, stroke, euphoria, psychosis, hallucinations..

plus, you said your weight was thyroid related - duromine interacts with thyroid hormones.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If I was drinking weight loss shakes for 1/3 of my calories for the day, I'd be starving, too. Unless they are required by a doctor (which given their name, I highly doubt), replace them with real food. 500 calories of meat, whole grains, and veggies will fill you right up and keep you full.

Of course there are small exceptions, but weight loss is as simple as calories in/calories out. You don't need some special and probably expensive shake to lose weight, you only need to lower your total caloric intake. I guarantee even 400 calories of real, chewable food will make you feel more full than 500 calories of shake.
  • mayflowermn
    mayflowermn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I took a quick peek at your food diary, and I would say you are eating way too many carbs and not enough protein. As others mentioned, protein will keep you full longer.

My opinion? Eliminate the Celebrity Slim - Rapid Chocolate. Although you are getting 22 g protein for the shake, you are also getting 22 g of sugar and 26 g of carbs which runs you 237 calories. It just doesn't seem like much bang for your buck but then I'm all about fooling myself with volume of food and liquid food just doesn't seem like it's very 'rewarding' when compared to other things that have the same calorie total.

For 237 calories you could eat:

4 oz of chicken, 110 calories, 21g protien, 0 carbs, 0 sugar
    8 oz of Dannon Oikos - 0% Fat - Greek Yogurt Plain, 120 calories, 22g protein, 9g carbs, 9 sugars (flavor with Stevia & Cinnamon).

Sheer volume, you are getting more food as well as well as a ton of protein to fill you up. Cut the portion of yogurt and add some good carbs with Dare Grains First Whole Grain Crackers for 80 calories, 2 protein, 11g carbs, 1 sugar and a slice of cheese which roughly amounts to 60 calories, 6g protein, 0g carbs, 0g sugars.

I would consider tracking my sugar totals as those are burned through quickly by the body and that can also trigger hunger issues.

Best of luck! I know you can do it!!! : )
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 10kg of post baby/post hypothyroidism fat.
    I am sticking to 1400 cal per day & eating regularly, drinking more than 2L of water per day but I am just so so hungry; its driving me insane!

Your food choices--when you eat--look pretty good, and the protein is good. You aren't eating nearly enough fat, though, and fat is necessary both for nutrition and for making you feel full. The processed stuff like Celebrity Slim and Uncle Toby's is adding a bunch of sugar. If you must drink a shake instead of eating (which could be another part of the problem), change to a lower-carb one. Certainly not two shakes a day. Eat more real food.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Make sure u r getting enough protein also fiber both help keep hunger at bay. Maybe an apple til its lunch time. I make sure I eat protein with every meal. Also if u r active you may just need to increase calorie intake a little. Seems like I read somewhere hunger pains actually mean ur metabolism is working. Good luck :wink:
    this is true , now that im eating more im even MORE hungry , its def the metabolism ... im actually damn hungry as we speak and i ate a bowl of oats and lots of chicken under 1 hour ago lol
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    You are hungry because either you are not eating enough (likely on 1400 calories) and/or you are having carbs that are causing blood glucose crashes leaving you hungry. Increase calories to 1600 and try eating carbs that are broken down slowly. Not that there will be a difference in weight loss with the carbs that are slower digesting, they just keep you feeling more satisfied for longer. Also trying increasing water levels, esp around meal times.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    You are hungry because either you are not eating enough (likely on 1400 calories) and/or you are having carbs that are causing blood glucose crashes leaving you hungry. Increase calories to 1600 and try eating carbs that are broken down slowly. Not that there will be a difference in weight loss with the carbs that are slower digesting, they just keep you feeling more satisfied for longer. Also trying increasing water levels, esp around meal times.

Great advice here ^^^ and some of these slow digesting carbs would be Old fashioned oats, Sweet potatoes, Brown rice, and Black beans.

a good article to help you understand would be this ....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index
    AND another GREAT read! ...
    http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Eating more protein will help you feel fuller for longer
  • BunniPage
    BunniPage Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding your baby? I need to eat an additional 500 calories a day to sustain my milk supply, so I'm on 1900 calories a day at the moment :)