Need help with protein powder please!

Options
xNJAx
xNJAx Posts: 170 Member
I want to introduce a protein powder to my diet but I know nothing about them and am getting confused!

I was looking at "maximuscle lean definition promax diet" in strawberry.
Have any of you tried it? Is it any good? Would you recommend something else instead?

Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Thank you

Natalie

Replies

• almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Chcolate FTW

but, someone did ask somthing like this earlier... check it out!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813074--best-protein-supplement
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Maximuscle is so expensive. i use FA Nutrition whey atm think they do 20 flavours so plenty to choose from
  • lakers8813
    Options
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Maximuscle is ridiculously expensive, you pay for all there fancy advertising - they're even on F1 cars now! Also the product you selected is a blend of other stuff as well as protein. If you do want a maximuscle product, at least take a look at maxiraw, its the same stuff, but no thrills branding or advertising.

However, personally I recommend www.bulkpowders.co.uk they have great prices, no nonsense advertising or hype and very good quality products. If you purely want protein, just get their 82% whey, the chocolate chip cookie flavour is awesome, but there are plenty of other flavours to choose from.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition - 100% Gold Standard Whey is a good WPI brand, and is great in value for price, quality and quantity. You can't go wrong!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition - 100% Gold Standard Whey is a good WPI brand, and is great in value for price, quality and quantity. You can't go wrong!

i use this one.

is good, mixes well and the chocolate one is delicious!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Maximuscle is ridiculously expensive, you pay for all there fancy advertising - they're even on F1 cars now! Also the product you selected is a blend of other stuff as well as protein. If you do want a maximuscle product, at least take a look at maxiraw, its the same stuff, but no thrills branding or advertising.

However, personally I recommend www.bulkpowders.co.uk they have great prices, no nonsense advertising or hype and very good quality products. If you purely want protein, just get their 82% whey, the chocolate chip cookie flavour is awesome, but there are plenty of other flavours to choose from.

^^^^^ What he said.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but why are ON calling their product 100% whey protein, when it's 24g protein from a 30g serving?
    Surely that's 80%?
  • sjay68
    Options
    Check the link below out for an unbiased review if you are not hooked on any particular manufacturer at present as a few of them have huge marketing budgets to seduce newbies. Protein use should be based on your goals and potentially budget, I found their reviews quite useful :wink:

http://overload.eu/supplement-reviews
  • Rexie83
    Rexie83 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking of using something simple like the musashi SLM, I know its targeted at the female high protein/low carb sector and you probably pay for the advertising - but its a reasonable amount of protein, good calcium source, tastes ok (I don't really like protein shakes to begin with) and its low in calories (176 per serve made with water - and I usually only use half that but have 2 per day). I use protein shakes as a way of sating my hunger and managing calorie intake while still getting the right amount of nutrients - not muscle building etc so I think it really depends on what your goals are :-) I think you can probably get enough protein from diet - but I don't eat meat and my diet isn't that great so its a quick, easy & convenient top-up.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I like body fortress chocolate peanut butter!
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but why are ON calling their product 100% whey protein, when it's 24g protein from a 30g serving?
    Surely that's 80%?

i guess a big round number like 100% looks better than 80% :)
  • Katiean30
    Options
    I use maxi tone definity, it costs me £18 for a tub. U can get it off the net. 3 flavours choc,strawberry and vanilla.i would recommend it
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I normally just get whatever is on sale at the store.

I have used Body Fortress and MuscleMaxx along with a drug store name brand that was probably my favourite one.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I use the Optimum Nutrition for chocolate and have the EAS kind for vanilla. I like having two different flavors so I have choices of how I use it. The chocolate typically goes in my oatmeal and the vanilla goes in my greek yogurt. I would say pick a flavor that you think you would use the most and maybe in a variety of ways. Strawberry could potentially get boring if you don't have a lot of ways to use it.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for protein, aside from the source of the protein and the taste, isn't it all the same? Is there some material difference between brands?
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Surely that's 80%?

The protein content is all (100%) whey.... many powders are blends of different types of proteins.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Surely that's 80%?

i guess a big round number like 100% looks better than 80% :)

The "100%" modifies "gold standard" not protein. So it's 100% gold standard, not 100% protein. How's that for pedantic?
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    i use unflavored, 100% pure whey protein.

105 calories, 25g protein. IMHO the flavored powders add in unnecessary calories, sugars and preservatives.

My fave is: http://www.supersup.com/now-foods-sports-whey-protein-isolate-natural-5-lb-powder-2268-g-733739021748

they will have specials from time to time, and I can get the 5lb tub for as low as $39.99
  • JeLyJo
    Options
    I use both Muscle Milk and store brand (generic) protein powders. And enjoy them both. You can sometimes get deals on Amazon for Muscle Milk. Also, I provided a great recipe for a Peanut Butter Protein Shake. I use it as an incentive to workout extra hard.

Ingredients:
    •2 scoops vanilla protein powder
    •2 tbsp sugar-free instant butterscotch pudding mix (dry)
    •1 tbsp natural peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
    •8 oz. water (or low-fat milk)
    •3-6 ice cubes
    Preparation:
    Add all ingredients to blender, whip, and serve.

Nutritional Information for added ingredients (excludes protein powder & use of milk):

Calories - 121 Carbohydrates - 7g Protein - 4g Fat - 8g Fiber - 1g