EATING WHILE HALF ASLEEP

Options
DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE? I WILL GET UP BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 12-4 AND EAT WHETHER ITS A PB AND J OR CHIPS OR WHATEVER? DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THIS HAPPENS, I DONT FEEL LIKE IM DEPRIVING MYSELF. IT SEEMS LIKE WHEN IM HAPPY I DO IT MORE OFTEN. AND WHEN IM SAD I DONT DO IT. COULD ANYBODY HELP ME OUT? THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a habit?
  • brownju
    brownju Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I HAVE done this. Oh it is is terrible! Mornings I would think I didn't and the PB was left on the counter from the early morn hours. I would have a lil chat with myself when I was lying down about not eating. Sounds dumb but I would dwell on it over and over and it did help overall. if I wake up I tell myself to NOT EAT. I also just simply don't carry what I would eat (like pop tarts or cookies). I had periods where it was super bad..even taking the food in the middle of the night to bed with me (yuck I know) and finding crumbs in my bed. I noticed I would be more likely to do it if I was experiencing something emotionally upsetting or if I was hungry when I went to bed. Good luck finding a trick for yourself. Those are mine.
  • agtitus
    agtitus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Do u take any sleep aids?
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are writing in all caps? It's considered yelling.

I know someone who does this.... she's bipolar. (not trying to be funny) She also types in all caps on Facebook for no reason.

Also, my ex did this. He had some other mental issues. Seriously.
  • dalygirl_2010
    Options
    I actually sleep eat. Drives me crazy. Most of the time I have no memory of it even happening, but there will be some clue left there in the morning to show me it happened. It is worse if I use a sleep aid of any kind.

And to the person talking about the OP typing in all caps, Could you have been more rude???? Really? You could have just nicely stated that it is bad etiquette to use all caps.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I actually sleep eat. Drives me crazy. Most of the time I have no memory of it even happening, but there will be some clue left there in the morning to show me it happened. It is worse if I use a sleep aid of any kind.

And to the person talking about the OP typing in all caps, Could you have been more rude???? Really? You could have just nicely stated that it is bad etiquette to use all caps.

I was just being honest....not trying to be rude.
  • DanielleMN
    DanielleMN Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to do this all the time when I was on ambien. It was so bad that I would take a bowl of cereal or yogurt to bed and then spill it all over myself when I fell asleep before finishing it. Now I take lunesta and it doesn't happen anymore.
  • cindl24
    cindl24 Posts: 178
    Options
    I have no idea why that happens. My best guess is it is like the other posters have said, it is either a side effect of a sleeping pill or just your version of sleep walking.

Maybe you should just budget for it in your daily calorie intake.

Sorry I'm not much help.
  • wonderwomn27
    wonderwomn27 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone :) i really appreciate ur help... need to have a talk with my inner self and not have easy access to the food,,, going to seriously put a pad lock on a chest that i have. i've done it before,, i wont sit there in the middle of the nite and try to open it cause my eyes r blury... thanks again :laugh:
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yes I have done this before! It made me feel weird! LOL.. glad I am not alone! Haven't done it in a while!
  • kokoforskinny
    kokoforskinny Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone :) i really appreciate ur help... need to have a talk with my inner self and not have easy access to the food,,, going to seriously put a pad lock on a chest that i have. i've done it before,, i wont sit there in the middle of the nite and try to open it cause my eyes r blury... thanks again :laugh:

If I were doing that I would go and talk to your dr about it. I am not saying there are mental issues but I saw on a show once that is was a sign of depression. I would be curious as to why I am doing this. If there is a way to "recover" from it. Then when you find out I would post it so everyone else knew that has the same problem. I hope it gets better for you.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    put a lock on the cupboard. even a baby safety lock would probably help.

and see a doctor/therapist. it sounds like you're sleep eating, and youre probably doing it because you have some things going on that you're not dealing with properly in waking hours, and that's nothing to be ashamed of :)
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Meeeeeeeeeeee ony I ate 2 chocky bars in my sleep the other night my partner does it to and my mil haha x
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I night eat too. Sometimes I am semi-aware of it (although I feel like I'm not fully in control of my actions--more like a trance) and sometimes I'm not. It's disturbing. Even if I make sure to eat protein before I go to bed, it still happens. I have binge eating disorder, so I think it's part of that. I hate it.
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options

I know someone who does this.... she's bipolar. (not trying to be funny) She also types in all caps on Facebook for no reason.

The first part was necessary. The rest speaks to your issues, not the poster's.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I was just being honest....not trying to be rude.

It's rude to write in all caps. Not rude to point it out in a polite manner.
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    Did you read how the person pointed it out?
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options

Done people write in caps to get attention because unless its something amazing nobody answers you !!!! Also she could of started writing in them and didn't wanna change what she wrote ! .... Why are people so quick to judge these days
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's bizarre and the worst part is that your not even enjoying the food since you have no memory of eating.
  • kenhelms17720
    Options
    A lot of people, myself included do this. I am within a half hour window almost every night.

Depending on your level of exercise, etc it may just be your body saying it needs more fuel.

Even though your metabolism drops when you sleep... you still are going 8 hours without any food. Sometimes people follow the advice of broscience as well and don't eat after a period of time in the evening, etc. Further increasing the lack of fuel to burn. Couple this with a light breakfast and there will be cravings.

If you have a high metabolism, there is not going to be any getting around a late night snack and there shouldn't be. However if that's not the case and it isn't a habit then I would consult a medical pro on it, might be a side effect or the body signaling something. Habits take time to develop, can you remember the first time you started doing it?

If your diet includes a lot of fruit and you seem to be craving sugar when you wake up then it could just be glucose levels rising/falling and starting the cycle.

Keep in mind that if you are exercising within a window of sleep, that is going to cause a craving depending on the intensity and the type of workout.

Half asleep isn't really that bad if you think about it.... you get back to sleep right away, you trust the environment you are in so you arn't alert (no middle of the night cortisol release)
    Just keep in mind if it's a sugary substance, etc... keep a glass of water by where the food is at so it isn't sitting on your teeth for the reminder of the night. Salivary production is low during sleep.

That might be something to try too, are you drinking enough water? Just like in exercise, it's easy to mistake hypoglycemic symptoms for dehydration.