Suggestions for Traveling - What to bring to stay on track

Options
I am traveling with my daughter and her team for 4 days this weekend to a National competition in New Mexico, we are in Boston. I am doing great staying on track at home but am concerned I won't be able to go to a store for fruit/vegies when we are there. There is only one team van and I'm not a driver. Also I can't pack a lot on the airplane and when I am there I'll be in a big field with food vendors that are not so healthy and staying at a hotel that provides a continental breakfast but who knows what that is. I'd love your tips on what to bring or do. thanks!

Replies

• jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Maybe nuts, whole grain crackers, nut butters.. There is also this website I order snacks from, it is great. It is call GoBites.com! check it out!
  • luvhandles74
    luvhandles74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A continental breakfast can be really good...scrambled eggs..lot's of fruit..probably some cottage cheese and I'm sure you can get some whole wheat toast. As far as travelling I would probably ziplock some nuts, some low cal wheat crackers (you can premeasure the baggies)or 100 calorie snacks..and bottles of water.
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    Just do your best, it's only 4 days. Take a few small non-parishable snacks that you can fit into your suitcase (nuts, granola bars, etc) to keep you going. Just try to make the best choices you can with the options you have during your meal times. This can be challenging, I know, I've traveled for work on & off, for 1 to 3 weeks at a time. Very difficult to eat healthy on the road. But, remember, it is only 4 days, you can get thru it.
  • Jstash88
    Jstash88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Nuts are great. It doesn't take a lot to satisfy, or hold you till the next meal. For the plane I recommend instant oatmeal. If you have it add a scoop or protein powder. The Flight Attendant can always give you a cup of hot water to mix it up. Oatmeal has fiber and protein so that helps give you a nice full feeling. Protein or meal replacement bars would work, but I would only use those once a day. Apples too. They travel well.
  • a couple of pounds of beef jerky, dry fruits, and water.
  • kbella67
    kbella67 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone I'll try these. I like the oatmeal and protein powder and the nuts and crackers especially
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    I went to visit friends around halloween and ate out with them frequently. Just eat reasonably and enjoy your trip because 4 days isn't going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you eat meat, bring jerky. It's a good and filling meal substitute. I only buy the kind without crap (nitrates, soy, sugar, excess salt). I've tried Sophia's Survival Jerky and it's good, but a little dry. I like Steve's Original Jerky better. You can get it as just jerky, or with dried fruit and nuts. It's good. Plus, it helps fund his non-profit to bring fitness education to inner city kids.

http://stevesoriginal.com/store

When staying at the hotel, if you don't have a fridge in the room, fill your ice bucket with lots of ice. Then you can use it to keep your dinner leftovers cold, and then eat them in the morning if they only have a crappy continental breakfast.