Pilates Burn

Options
Estimated calories burnt per hour? What do you reckon?

Im currently using a beginners routine to get me used to Pilates, but im finding it hard to estimate the amount im genuinely burning - its so different to my other high intensity circuit training sessions that it feels like im not doing anything at all... just a massive stretching cool down.

The Pilates on MFP shows 120 calories burn for a 40 min session - is this accurate? My HRM is showing more but is there anyone who is experienced within Pilates to be able to give a good guess for me? Im 118 lbs and 5"3 if that helps.

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Did it involve lying in the floor for 40mins?
  • susyw_2003
    Options
    obviously not
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I've read both of Pilate's books, and it should have.

Pilates means different thinks to different people, so I'd have to know more to guess, but you are quite small, and it should've at least been very low intensity.
  • alane15
    alane15 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer but I've wondered the exact same thing about yoga. Sometimes it feels like I'm not doing anything and my HRM will have calculated a 200 calorie burn...maybe we'll get an answer
  • BritishVegGirl
    BritishVegGirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Its not cardio so your HRM will not be accurate. You basically do just bend and stretch so while yes you're burning calories its nowhere near the calories that you will have seen from other exercises! I am a massive fan of yoga but have done pilates previously.
  • susyw_2003
    Options
    It was 20 minutes standing work and then 20 mins floor work.. the standing work was quite hard, the floor work was more stretching and really ab work if im honest. I was a bit taken back that 40 minutes only burnt 120 cals according to MFP
  • fullofhope76
    Options
    This is why I seldom eat back my exercise calories. You never know what to believe!
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    As another said, it's not going to be accurate, and you'll also have the calories you would've burnt anyway on there. Just go for the smaller option, it should be more accurate, and time will tell on the scale with your fitness as long as you stay consistent.
  • BritishVegGirl
    Options
    Not saying its not hard advance pilates is a killer but it still isnt cardio so you'll never get a great burn from such work, but its great for toning so its still worth doing.
  • susyw_2003
    Options
    Thanks guys for the advice!

I might just do a bit of circuit training as normal but do Pilates as more of a toning exercise instead
  • BritishVegGirl
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan :-)