Christmas Ideas - Recommend a Fitness item.

Options
I started working out/losing weight starting in September so this is my first Christmas focusing on fitness. My family asked for Christmas ideas and all I could come up with is ... I don't know exercise stuff. Anyone have an idea of a must have fitness item I should ask for?

Replies

• Jstash88
    Jstash88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Fitness DVD's Set of Hand weights. Good running shoes (or a coupon to store that sells shoes, you really need to be fitted) Money for a gym membership, or a personal trainer. Gift cards to stores that sell work out clothes. Gift cards to buy apps that help you track fitness, like mapmyrun or runtastic....etc. Hope this helps.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor, Kettleball or other weights, Gift certificate to a place like TJ Maxx to snag some cheap gym clothes. Digital food scale if you don't already have one.
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Some ideas:
    Good running shoes (go to a specialty store and get fitted...this was the best thing I've ever done for my feet)
    Hand weights, dumbells, kettlebells, etc
    Yoga/fitness mat
    Resistance bands
    Over-door pull-up bar
    Headlamp (if you plan to run when it's dark)
    Stability ball
    And for a higher price range: something like a FitBit, BodyMedia, or HRM
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ditto on good shoes! Whether you're running, walking or doing a variety of things (cross trainers), a well fitting shoe and maybe even some orthotic insoles, are vital so that you have a good foundation for movement.

I like treating myself to pedis now and then as my feet are pretty gross from running (calouses) so a gift certificate to a nail salon is great. Along the same lines maybe a spa day or at least a massage? Maybe even use that as motivation to reach a goal!

Heart rate monitor (HRM)- a good one like Polar or Garmin with a chest strap can be pretty pricy but you can shop around and check out what's on Ebay or even ask for a gift certificate to a store that you know carries them so at least you can be gifted a portion of the price.

I like the idea for the TJMaxx gift certificate too - they have tons of workout clothes at great prices!
  • byrnette
    byrnette Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A good heart rate monitor. I use Polar..the most basic $75 version -- gets your heart rate and calories burned....works like a charm and makes a big difference when trying to udnerstand how many more calories you need when you work out.

T
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Impossible to answer. What have you been doing? What do you like to do? I could say dumbbells - do you like to lift? I could say running shoes - do you like to run? I could say a gym membership - do you/would you go to a gym? I could say a bicycle - do you like to ride?

Some good cookware is as valid of a gift idea as good workout sneakers are... so don't forget about that side of the equation.

• duckychic
    duckychic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor (WITH A CHEST STRAP!)
    FitBit
    DVD's
    Workout Clothes
  • REBEE17
    REBEE17 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    kettlebell!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    8kg competition standard kettlebell. It is christmas after all.
  • WillardsMommy1
    Options
    All I asked for this Xmas was a FitBit. :)
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am getting a kettle bell that is weight adjustable and it comes with a dvd with three workouts. Also I want some shoes and a HRM. Those are a few of the ideas I am suggesting.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Either payment toward your gym membership or the beginning I an at home weight room with oly bar and plates.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I started working out/losing weight starting in September so this is my first Christmas focusing on fitness. My family asked for Christmas ideas and all I could come up with is ... I don't know exercise stuff. Anyone have an idea of a must have fitness item I should ask for?

1. If you are just starting out, a good gift would be a membership to WorkoutsonDemand.com, an online selection of workouts ranging from Pilates to cardio to weights to yoga, you name it. Most of the workouts are in the 30 minute range, but they also have shorter Express workouts and a few longer, 40-minute or so workouts. I have a discounted membership since I signed up with a coupon code, but it's less than $12 per month and can be lower depending on your type of membership.

2. Are you lifting weights? I have found myself wishing I had a pair of weight training gloves, now that I am using heavier weights.

3. A gift card to CollageVideo.com to pick out some new workout DVDs
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I agree with the HRM response. With whatever exercise you are doing or will do in the future, it's a good tool to get a closer to accurate read out on what you're burning and how hard you are working. I have the Polar FT4 and have been really pleased with it (two years and counting).