Foot cramps

Options
Hey all--so I run a lot (6-7 miles 5 times a week) on the elliptical and the last two runs I got severe foot cramps. Got a massage, drank extra water to make sure I was hydrated, and last night sitting in a chair I got a really bad one. So I'm wondering if any one has any idea how to stop them. I did just get new running shoes and I also wear high heels a lot (but always have, so I can't see that that would do it). Any ideas besides water and stretching? Thanks all!

Replies

• Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Try adding bananas to your diet :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Amazingly, my podiatrist and GP BOTH told me to stretch my calfs! I thought they were insane but my foot issues have gotten SO much better since I started doing it more often.

Wake up-calf stretch
    Lunch-calf stretch
    Break calf stretch
    Bed-best time for me! I take a yoga belt and stretch my calfs before I fall a sleep (Warning:may wake up tangled in yoga belt:laugh: }
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Or Magnesium and Kalium/Potassium Supps
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    u just need a dude with a foot fetish to sort that out :D lol
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Or Magnesium and Kalium/Potassium Supps
    and this! magnesium + potassium ... i have it on a daily basis
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    Postassium low, maybe.
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Wish I knew the answer to this! Those cramps hurt, especially when the toes "separate" and spread apart. Ouch! I've tried different things, including eating bananas, and the only thing that seems to help a bit is to elevate your feet when sitting or when in bed.
  • Kathe2
    Kathe2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Calcium Magnesium tablets help me.
  • 7under2
    7under2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Where are the cramps? Running as much as you do, you probably are aware of plantar faciitis or other related injuries. Is it possible you're developing something like that?