Best device to use for Exercise?

Options
Hi Ladies & Gents...I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what device would be the most economical to keep track of calories burned during workout, throughout the day etc? I have heard about fitbit but would like to hear from you all =)

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit to keep an estimated track of my calories burned during the day.. its not 100%, but nothing you find will be.. Its nice cause you can hide it pretty well. HRM for workouts (polar ft7)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    There are lots to choose from, all with advantages and disadvantages. If you do searches for the following you will find lots of posts.

Fitbit, heart rate monitor, STRIIV (app, Play ans Smart Pedometer), Nike fuelband, jawbone up and Bodymedia fit. A popular combination is a Fitbit for daily activity and a HRM for exercise.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    If you already have a nano or ipod (of some specific generation or later, I'm not sure), they have accelerometers in them and work with the nike+ sensors/system. Even if you don't wear nike shoes, you can get an adapter for the foot sensor for $10. So you might already have half of what you need.

Remember, though, like others said - nothing is 100% accurate. Something that is accelerometer based (fitbit) will be better than something off some chart (MFP). Accelerometer based that takes into account your physical condition (weight, height, gender) will be better still. Something with a heart rate monitor AND an accelerometer that takes into account your physical condition is about as accurate as you'll get outside a lab, but will be more expensive.

I've heard the fuelband and fitbit are both highly motivational, though, so if your real goal is weightloss, probably you'll be happy with one of those or something similar (and not need the HRM).
  • Vanesstastic
    Vanesstastic Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    greenrun99 - my only advice so far has been the fitbit so I most likely will go with that. thank you!

jaz050465 - thanks for the info. Didn't even occur to me to do a search *brain fart* lol thank you for the help & feedback.

ejwme - never heard of the foot sensor but will look into it since I do own an ipod. thanks for the heads up!

Thank you all for your feedback! I truly appreciate it! *hugs* =)
  • linnettbenson
    linnettbenson Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A while back I tried the Nike in the shoe thing and my only issue with it was you had to be in motion. It would pause if you stopped walking or running. It was more like a HRM, more for excerise than for all day wear.

I use a fibit, and love it. I am hoping to get a HRM for Christmas.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    a digital food scale

wal mart or target

$10

the only "device" you need