So disappointed in myself

Options
In 2010 I started my journey, I did very well. In fact I kicked *kitten* and lost 50lbs and reached my goal weight in less than a year. I was feeling great. I am 5'2 I was 186lbs and got down to 136lbs. Then I got lazy. I stopped going to the gym, stopped counting my calories and got comfortable. I have put on 28lbs since last summer. I am so ashamed I let this happen. I am now feeling the motivation to get started again just feeling overwhelmed at having to lose 30lbs AGAIN. I know I can do it because I did it before, just feeling very down about the whole thing.

Replies

• km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    Don't be negative. You realized that you need to go after it again. You did it once before, you can do it again!
    Good luck!
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I just keep telling myself "it didn't happen overnight." I'm working on writing down some concrete, viable goals to make at the end of the week.. You could try the same, with some non-food reward.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Same boat. You lost it before, you can lose it again.
    Life happens. Weight fluctuation happens.
    Focus on healthy eating and exercise and not so much on the pounds. When you're obsessing over a pound goal you won't be able to see your accomplishments in exercise and diet as easily.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Well, there is no point dwelling on it. It's happened and now you are doing something about it. Look on the positive side, you didn't put the whole 50lbs back on, so that is something to be proud of.

You did it before and you can do it again and with the support of MFP you will be able to keep it off this time. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    That's what usually happens to me during the winter. This time I have MFP and I'm tracking even when I'm not exercising.
    Normally I'd have gained at least 15 pounds by now, but because I'm watching it I've maintained. WIN.
  • vegankatzy
    Options
    you can do it i have been there myself,just take it slow yards are hard inches are cinch:flowerforyou:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    You got this! It's good that you are starting now because then you'll def be sexy by summer ;) Next time keep weighing yourself at least once a week so you can maintain
  • maryjboom
    maryjboom Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Don't be so negative. We are only human and make mistakes. The important thing is you realized it before you put it all back on. Think of it as getting healthy and making the right choices instead of HAVING to lose 30lbs.
    This has happened to me many times-the lose/gain cycle. (currently in one now) Baby steps help at the beginning until you get back in the swing of things.
    Good luck. :smile:
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

I can relate...I have lost and gained the same weight plus more, twice before. This time, I really believe with the help of this site and the tools it provides, I can lose the weight and keep it off. The support of my MFP friends gives me such motivation and inspiration to continue on each day. :love:

The only advice I can give is pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on the wagon. You have done it in the past and you can do it again. Use the tools available on this awesome site and surround yourself with positive MFP friends. You can learn alot from their successes, struggles and food choices. :flowerforyou:

Wishing you great success in your journey to a healthier life! You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!!! I started the diet yesterday and did very well with 1200 calories. STarting the gym next week and back to doing Insanity. Hopefully it wont take me as long.
  • KHoiriis
    KHoiriis Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am right here with you. I lost over 130 lbs by going to OA. I have gained back 100 + lbs of that. UGH. Need to lose the weight, do not need to feel guilty about it. I know all the mantras, but some days it just feels terrible. Here is a mantra fr you.... "No matter what don't eat, Don't eat no matter what". Obviously eat your meals, but not just to eat. For me it is emotional eating, my anxiety goes up I want to eat! So today is a new day and so far so good. :flowerforyou:
  • ashleyfs200
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself! Unfortunately, it's life! Its hard to keep your weight the focus 100% of the time. You will do it again! I've battled that same problem my entire life. Then I look back at pictures when I was at my goal weight and think "WHY DID I DO THIS AGAIN?" You'll get there again and hopefully be able to stay on track! Good luck to you!
  • Scottb4857
    Scottb4857 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Many, many of us are right there with you. In the past I went from 255 to 200, then life, job changes, and pure laziness on my part and convincing myself that I still look fine. Then one day the scale says 270, I remember my Dad having a heart attack at 62 (thank God he survived and made lots of changes since) and he was always at that 270-280 range. Wake up call time, which I think is where you are. Now, I did it before, I can do it again is my daily mantra! 18 lbs down in little over a month and won't stop until I am fit again. In other words, forgive yourself right freaking now, set those goals and go get it!
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    In 2010 I started my journey, I did very well. In fact I kicked *kitten* and lost 50lbs and reached my goal weight in less than a year. I was feeling great. I am 5'2 I was 186lbs and got down to 136lbs. Then I got lazy. I stopped going to the gym, stopped counting my calories and got comfortable. I have put on 28lbs since last summer. I am so ashamed I let this happen. I am now feeling the motivation to get started again just feeling overwhelmed at having to lose 30lbs AGAIN. I know I can do it because I did it before, just feeling very down about the whole thing.

I wish I had no idea how this felt, but I do! I reached goal weight and felt wonderful, then slacked off and gained all of it back. The most important thing I learned was that focusing on my mistakes and failures paralyzed me. I was so discouraged, I couldn't get started again. When I decided "enough", and to consider myself at a new starting point, with a healthy future ahead of me if I could just get my head out of my *kitten*, I found it much easier to get back on track and start moving back toward my goal.

I am still a long, long way off, and I still catch myself wanting to beat myself up for gaining the weight back, but I force myself to focus on how I am making the effort to get healthy again, and that I will use my mistakes and how it felt as learning experiences to get back to goal and never gain it again. Good luck to you!
  • jbriscoe9480
    jbriscoe9480 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!! You will get there. One day at a time. :flowerforyou:
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Been there done that. Life time high = 185, low as an adult = 142, climbed back to 166, now working my way back down. It is hard to lose weight and it is easy to get complacent once you get to goal weight. They key is to keep tracking...
  • keelz2010
    Options
    Second time lucky :) At least this time round you know what your doing and the best way to get there! Best of luck
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I have been there. My weight has been up and down since I was about 21. But, you can't change the past so all you can do is move forward. You know how to do it! Good luck!
  • JMJ1983
    JMJ1983 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think many of us have been there done that...

The most important thing is to make sure you are making this change for you and you only. If you're doing it for any other reason there will always be an excuse or a reason to quit before you get to the finish line or to get to the finish line and then say "Now what?"

This time around has been so very different for me than all the other times I tried to "lose weight" I am the healthiest and smallest I've been in about 10 years and I'm not done yet!!

The most important thing when you get to your final destination do not stop the healthy habits that you established to get there.
  • amitchell039
    amitchell039 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes I do understand and I am in the same boat. I wish you much success and am setting small goals for myself and hope by obtaining the smaller goals this will keep me motivated.