BEST workout videos?

Options
I am asking my fiance to get me some workout videos for Christmas this year. I need some that are for LOSING WEIGHT AND FAT rather than toning up and getting fit since I will be just starting on my diet and exercise plan.

Does anyone know of any great work out videos that helped you lose a lot of weight? Pictures and stories are also greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Replies

• TwelveTwentyOne
    TwelveTwentyOne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I like the 30 day shred and Ripped in 30. I have also heard great things about Tracy Anderson's Postpartum workout.

Don't forget to give yourself some time to recover after the baby is born. You may need to hold off on abs work until your diastasis recti is healed.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for increasing fitness, not losing weight.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    a gym membership will go a lot further than a workout DVD.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options

I strongly disagree. Try any of Bob Harper's DVDs and you will see what I mean.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

I've no idea what to say to that
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Anything Jillian Michaels!
  • uk_ja
    uk_ja Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for increasing fitness, not losing weight.

This
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

considering it only takes about 6 months of weight training to put bob harper's physique to shame:
    bob_harper_01_01.jpg

I'd still lean towards a gym membership.

Anyone can put out a DVD with endurance based training that makes people feel like they had a good workout. Doesn't mean it's going to have a dramatically positive effect on their body composition. Weight training will.
  • knucklescasey
    Options
    If you dont have time to go to the gym with a new baby thats understandable. I dont either I have a 3 year old and a 10 month old so i get it.

i like the jillian michaels workouts , insanity, and the zumba dvds...

right after my 10 month old was born i did zumba and in ate healthy and clean , I lost 50 pounds in 5 months.. its was really awesome and i just did zumba 5x a week. and i also tried the jillian michaels dvds as well.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    As a stay at home mom of three, who lives in a tiny community where gym membership is not easily accessible or affordable, DVDs are a good option. They can teach proper technique and be challenging for various fitness levels. Let's say op has no exercise experience and no extra money to afford the personal trainer on top of gym membership fees to teach her, a DVD that can be bought for $10 to $20 sounds like a good investment to me. I have started with various DVDs and as my fitness level has increased I have moved on to harder ones gaining confidence along the way. Now, I am ready to move on to heavy weights with a weight set and bench in the garage. I feel confident with my form and education from this sight and various others that I will be successful. DVDs were a big part of that confidence boost.

To the ops original question I have used and had success with Jackie Warner DVDs. I really like Power Circuit Training and Extreme Time Saver. I have Supreme 90 which is a really affordable P90x type series. I got it on Amazon for less than $12 for 10 DVDs and a schedule for doing it. I have been pleasantly surprised by the challenge of it. You will need dumbbells that are challenging for you and a stability ball to do these DVDs.

Good luck op! Good for you for taking steps to better fitness.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Look up Chalene Johnson - she has a massive, fun, kick butt line of videos. Turbo Jam, Turbo Kick, Turbo Fire, PiYo, etc.
  • puddy29
    Options
    walking with Leslie Sanson excellent
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options

considering it only takes about 6 months of weight training to put bob harper's physique to shame:
    bob_harper_01_01.jpg

Anyone can put out a DVD with endurance based training that makes people feel like they had a good workout. Doesn't mean it's going to have a dramatically positive effect on their body composition. Weight training will.

Just a thought....comparing your profile pic with hers.....you may have different goals on what you hope your body to look like at the end. And, in my opinion, DVD's are not just endurance based. There are a ton for every category of exercise. It is about discipline and follow through.
  • INSANITY43
    Options
    Insanity....Chalean Extreme....Turbo Fire....JM 30 Day Shred.....anything works if you are consistent.
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love Leslie Sansone's Walking off the Pounds DVDs. They give you a good sweaty workout but don't put you in pain like some of Jillian Michael's video's do. I recently tried a Tae Bo video as well and really enjoyed it plus it is a great calorie burn! :flowerforyou:
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

bob_harper_01_01.jpg

Sorry, lost interest in what's being said...I'm just drooling over Bob right now...
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've been using Kelly Coffey-Myers. I have 6 of her DVD's. I've lost 62 pounds and needed to start toning. Most of her DVD's require weights. My husband says he can see the results and that the toning is starting to show. check out Amazon.com...
  • You should go with Insanity, if you stick with it, it will pay off.
  • SadieToughLady
    Options
    First off, I had a gym membership for years and years. Now I work out at home and love it. I have lost weight doing both. It is just about what you prefer. I personally love working out at home with DVDs and don't see myself getting a gym membership anytime soon.

That said, I did Turbo Fire this year and loved it. I lost a ton of weight. I started out with the prep scheduled because I was really out of shape when I started. Turbo Fire is a Beachbody program and is a schedule that you follow. I've also done ChaLEAN Extreme and P90X and liked them. Just go on the Beachbody site and look at what workout programs would work best for you.

However, I have moved on to Amy Dixon and LOVE her stuff! She is absolutely fabulous. If you like her fan page on Facebook, she is giving out a code tomorrow 12/6/12 where you can get her DVDs half off. Check them out: Breathless Body, Breathless Body Volume 2, Give me 10, Give Me 10 More, and Give Me 10 Core. I have tried them all and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. I like them because I can mix them up and they are stand alone workouts (no schedules to follow). Good Luck!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

I've no idea what to say to that

Never known you to be speechless...;)