Army National Guard or Air National Guard

Options
cailinlowe
cailinlowe Posts: 161 Member
alright, I am seriously considering joining the guard, but I'm still not sure if I want to go with the army or the air force. Its hard to get an unbiased opinion from recruiters or from friends who are currently in the military.. so just throwing this question out there.

pros and cons: and please, no bashing.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you want to be deployed, and duration I guess. Also depends on what you want your MOS to be. It depends on what is in your area.

Need more info.
  • cailinlowe
    Options
    It depends on how much you want to be deployed, and duration I guess. Also depends on what you want your MOS to be. It depends on what is in your area.

Need more info.

well just in general, which one gets deployed more? what are the contract lengths like? I'm in Columbus, Ohio so there are a lot of bases and whatnot close by. I'm thinking about getting into something in the medical field
  • cailinlowe
    Options
    anyone?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Need more info.

well just in general, which one gets deployed more? what are the contract lengths like? I'm in Columbus, Ohio so there are a lot of bases and whatnot close by. I'm thinking about getting into something in the medical field

Army Nat'l Guard gets deployed.....a lot. Might be cooling down now, but back in the day you went for 18 mos, were back for your year, and most likely were gone again.

Your contract WILL be 8 years. 6 years active 2 years IRR if you choose to do so.
  • Javela
    Javela Posts: 134
    Options
    Go Air guard. Anyone can tell you Air Force takes better care of their people than any other service. Plus, Air Force will deploy, but they try to keep it 6-12 months tops most of the time. Air Force has Community College of the Air Force, so you can earn some college credit by going through your training as well.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Army
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Army gets deployed less but for longer. Air force gets more deployments for shorter times. I was active army and went into the guard when I finished my active contract. I went to Iraq for 13 months in which time 3 sets of different air force rotated. As an army veteran, I would say if you can make it to the air force with a good job, go that route. Nothing against the army I was in for 8 years, but the air force just takes better care of the people.
  • jeffn9
    jeffn9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Also depends on if you're going in enlisted or as an officer. Having been both, I'll tell you that if you're enlisted go Air Force, but if you're an officer I'd go Army. If you're going medical field you'll probably be in SA, and if you're Air Force you definitely will be.

*Full disclosure, Regular Army here*
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    They both get deployed frequently, the duration is not always the same. Air Guard tends to be 6-12 mo & Army Guard 9-12. The physical requirements will be slightly different.
    It seems education is one of the alluring aspects for you. I can't speak for the Air side but on the Army side you can do something called college first. Your contract will still be 6+2.
    Do your research online thoroughly, and make sure you have in writing anything a recruiter tells you, or it won't happen. Know what MOS you want & go get it, even if you are discouraged by the recruiter.
    My experience is with the Army side, and they take care of their soldiers.
    Best of luck to you!
  • DatNative21
    DatNative21 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    depends on what you wanna do i have a friends in AF Navy Army

My AF friends sits a t a computer all day in Virginia.
    MY Army Friend seem a little less bored but still wants to get stationed outside the U.S
    My Navy Friend seems the most thrilled one out all three hes stationed in Japan.

Im plan on Joining the Navy because i want to travel and to join their boxing team because im a mma Fighter and Boxer
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    They both get deployed frequently, the duration is not always the same. Air Guard tends to be 6-12 mo & Army Guard 9-12. The physical requirements will be slightly different.
    It seems education is one of the alluring aspects for you. I can't speak for the Air side but on the Army side you can do something called college first. Your contract will still be 6+2.
    Do your research online thoroughly, and make sure you have in writing anything a recruiter tells you, or it won't happen. Know what MOS you want & go get it, even if you are discouraged by the recruiter.
    Best of luck to you!

^^^This...except make sure it's all in writing. I was in the Army National Guard. Don't believe a word they say until it's in writing. Nobody is taking care of you (especially your recruiter) until you are assigned to your unit. I would recommend Air National Guard based on shorter deployments, better school options and higher standards of living. When I finished my training, I ended up going into active duty (I had thought about it prior, but hadn't decided). You will want to take all of these things into consideration just in case you decide to do the same down the road. It's a lot easier to go active within your own component than crossing over.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you!

^^^This...except make sure it's all in writing. I was in the Army National Guard. Don't believe a word they say until it's in writing. Nobody is taking care of you (especially your recruiter) until you are assigned to your unit. I would recommend Air National Guard based on shorter deployments, better school options and higher standards of living. When I finished my training, I ended up going into active duty (I had thought about it prior, but hadn't decided). You will want to take all of these things into consideration just in case you decide to do the same down the road. It's a lot easier to go active within your own component than crossing over.

I can echo, this but extend into RA. My only question is this...why do you want to join? If its purely for schooling, stay away. As for the deployment, 85% of our active force is reserve/NG. If you choose AF, the chances of you seeing live fire is far less than Army...pending your MOS. which brings me back to....Why.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    spend a drill weekend with both and then pick the one you like. and it's like getting a job, pick the one that has the position you like.
  • Ronngie
    Options
    Best of luck to you!

I can echo, this but extend into RA. My only question is this...why do you want to join? If its purely for schooling, stay away. As for the deployment, 85% of our active force is reserve/NG. If you choose AF, the chances of you seeing live fire is far less than Army...pending your MOS. which brings me back to....Why.
    I agree, if it is purely for schooling, joining may not be a good idea. School is a great benefit but you will deploy.
  • cailinlowe
    Options
    i heard (i have not done the research on this yet) that the army will pay back 100% of all my student loans that i already have, as well as the rest of my tuition in the future, and the air national guard will only pay back 50% of what i have now, but will still pay for my future schooling..

I'm not sure what you all mean by "don't join just for the schooling" but i don't think that is what I am doing. I think it is a really good fit for me to become the most i can be all the while serving my country. getting the training that will help me in the civilian world is nice as well as getting rid of my student loans are some big bonuses.
  • Ronngie
    Options
    i heard (i have not done the research on this yet) that the army will pay back 100% of all my student loans that i already have, as well as the rest of my tuition in the future, and the air national guard will only pay back 50% of what i have now, but will still pay for my future schooling..

I'm not sure what you all mean by "don't join just for the schooling" but i don't think that is what I am doing. I think it is a really good fit for me to become the most i can be all the while serving my country. getting the training that will help me in the civilian world is nice as well as getting rid of my student loans are some big bonuses.
    Almost all of the service members I know volunteer to serve. The benefits are secondary.
    I'm not 100% familiar with loan repayment, but I believe if you did qualify, you have to sign a waiver that you can not use the GI bill in the future. I could be mistaken.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Depends on the contract details, but they covered 100% of my wife's student loans from her 1.5 years of loans at BU. not all MOS will pay for student loans. talk to several recruiters when you are ready. I worked and took part-time school in the guard before and after deployment, they pay 100% tuition fees for state colleges in my state as well. Education can be the main reason to join, I hate when people criticize reasons people join the service. Fact is, if you join for whatever personal reason, you are still serving the country.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I think the Air Force deploys less and i've heard that they are more family friendly. We are a Marine Corps family. My husband just spent a year in Afghanistan.
  • aabelein
    aabelein Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    my fiance is in the army national guard and i would say go air force. hes not happy with his unit. seems like they dont take good care of them. i think air force may be different but i am unsure. just my experience with it seems the army NG is kind of a hassle.
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Go Air guard. Anyone can tell you Air Force takes better care of their people than any other service. Plus, Air Force will deploy, but they try to keep it 6-12 months tops most of the time. Air Force has Community College of the Air Force, so you can earn some college credit by going through your training as well.

^^ This... in my opinion AF does have a better quality of life and understands the importance of the family unit so even if they do deploy you they try to get you home to see the family sooner rather than later. Again just my opinion I've never been in any branch of service my husband is retired AF my brother in law did 6 years Navy then switched to AF and retired as a Capt and I work as a contractor on an AF base so that is my limited knowledge of the military *based solely on observation* Hope that helps good luck to you whichever you choose and thank you for your service!