Back discomfort & jogging

Options
Hi!

Has anyone ever had a tingling sensation/numbness in your mid-lower back while running/jogging? Last Thursday I went on my 6.2 mile neighborhood run (broke a PR 1:06:58 :happy: ) but towards the last half of a mile I started feeling a minor tingling sensation then it was just numb while I was cooling down (walking). I was tired and sleep deprived, I'm thinking I may not have been running in proper form.

It didn't spread anywhere else and I don't feel any pain, just discomfort. I ran Saturday and worked out Sunday with no problem, but throughout the day I feel the tingling or numbness come back.

Running 6.6 mile marathon relay in about 12 days and I want to ensure I don't cause a serious injury to my back. :) I'm excited, but a little nervous about it. During my usual runs, I feel like I can pace myself well, but I tend to get excited and run too fast during the first mile in events.

Replies

• Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever had a tingling sensation/numbness in your mid-lower back while running/jogging?

I had this in early July after a 4 mile training run. Numbness and shooting pain going down lower back and right leg. It was diagnosed and treated as sciatica. I was out for a few weeks but stretching and PT helped immensely. Good luck!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Similar to Sciatica, which involves the nerve is also if you are having any issues with a stressed piriformis muscle, which runs next to the sciatic nerve. When it gets fatigued it can tighten and put pressure on the nerve, resuling in the sciatica like symptoms. In any case, rest, specific streches and strengthening exercises can help.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    My back hurts when I run for distance. I just quit running. True story.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My back hurts when I run for distance. I just quit running. True story.

Either underlying back issue or more likely, if you don't have back issues otherwise, running form gets bad as your core breaks down when you approach the limits of your muscle-skelatal endurance (not the quitting part, the pain part.) Core work and slowing down and building distance slowly while maintaining form can help.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of discomfort last night when I was jogging... but it was because I started fixing my posture and my back isn't used to sitting up straight!! :)
  • BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! Took two rest days in a row and I'm stretching a lot, laying on the floor felt so good last night.

Love when my cat walks all over my back at night, I wish I could train her to do it all the time. :wink:
  • Noflexing
    Noflexing Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    it could be do to tight muscles in your shoulders and chest. do some static stretches before a run to get rid of the tightness. Make sure you're running with proper posture don't slouch over a lot don't drag your arms/shoulders keep your head up. Hope your marathon goes well.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the sciatic nerve. I would go to a chiropractor, get an xray and possibly get some PT. Never worth a more serious injury.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    My lower back usually hurts after a good long run. It will feel weak/numb or sore the next day (sometimes during) and I had someone tell me I have crooked hips. It may be your posture when jogging, or maybe even your shoes. Heck, my first theory is that my back was over compensating for my big stomach jiggling while jogging!

I would ask your doctor to be sure.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Love when my cat walks all over my back at night, I wish I could train her to do it all the time. :wink:

oh man me too!!! I LOVE it when she walks/kneads my back