Army National Guard or Air National Guard

Options
2»

Replies

• newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that each base is different. Even though they're all under the same branch, they each have their own leadership which can make or break your experience. It's kind of like working for a great company but having a crappy manager.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Army gets deployed less but for longer. Air force gets more deployments for shorter times. I was active army and went into the guard when I finished my active contract. I went to Iraq for 13 months in which time 3 sets of different air force rotated. As an army veteran, I would say if you can make it to the air force with a good job, go that route. Nothing against the army I was in for 8 years, but the air force just takes better care of the people.

Disagreed.

There are Air NG individuals that constantly request deployment, but can't get it...because Air NG isn't deploying. Army NG is gone all the time. As stated before, Army NG you're gone 12-18 months, comback for your manditory 12 mos, and then are looking at another 12-18 month deployment.

The Air NG MIGHT deploy you for 6 mos, but it'll be another 3 years before you MIGHT see another deployment.

From my experience with both.
  • kokoforskinny
    kokoforskinny Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My dad served in the Air National Guard and was there for a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG time. He loved his job when he was there. The only time he went away was when they were getting rid of his position in NF. Then he went to Newburg for a few years til his retirement. I would go ANG.
  • hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Army gets deployed less but for longer. Air force gets more deployments for shorter times. I was active army and went into the guard when I finished my active contract. I went to Iraq for 13 months in which time 3 sets of different air force rotated. As an army veteran, I would say if you can make it to the air force with a good job, go that route. Nothing against the army I was in for 8 years, but the air force just takes better care of the people.

Disagreed.

There are Air NG individuals that constantly request deployment, but can't get it...because Air NG isn't deploying. Army NG is gone all the time. As stated before, Army NG you're gone 12-18 months, comback for your manditory 12 mos, and then are looking at another 12-18 month deployment.

The Air NG MIGHT deploy you for 6 mos, but it'll be another 3 years before you MIGHT see another deployment.

From my experience with both.

What RG said. I'm Air NG and love it. BUT the deployment/TDY opportunities are sorely lacking for those that would actually like to go. I also second the whole "don't join just for the schooling". I know you said that you aren't doing it for that reason alone which I think is great. It really p!sses me off when service members gripe about duty or deploying or anything volunteer/service related and are only there for the benefits/money. I signed up to serve my country and my family...not for the money. I think the attitude you go in with will make the experience...regardless of which branch you choose.

Feel free to message me with any questions from a female's perspective if you'd like :)
  • ROCKNMIMI
    ROCKNMIMI Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I work in a Militarly Treatment Faclility (MTF) Clinic that provides services to Army and Airforce. Me personally I think if you want to get in the medical field their are more opportunities in the Army. Most MTF's on an army base are larger especially after BRAC (Base Realignment). .

Everyone and everything is different. It is all what you make it but you must be content with your choice.
  • cailinlowe
    cailinlowe Posts: 161 Member
    Options

What RG said. I'm Air NG and love it. BUT the deployment/TDY opportunities are sorely lacking for those that would actually like to go. I also second the whole "don't join just for the schooling". I know you said that you aren't doing it for that reason alone which I think is great. It really p!sses me off when service members gripe about duty or deploying or anything volunteer/service related and are only there for the benefits/money. I signed up to serve my country and my family...not for the money. I think the attitude you go in with will make the experience...regardless of which branch you choose.

Feel free to message me with any questions from a female's perspective if you'd like :)

The reason I'm really interested in the national guard rather than active duty or reserves, is the fact that I serve my community as well. Especially after hurricane sandy and watching people go out to help them, that is what I really want to do. Would I be doing it if i wasnt getting the benefits... perhaps not, but as i said, its not my sole reason for doing it.
  • cailinlowe
    cailinlowe Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think the Air Force deploys less and i've heard that they are more family friendly. We are a Marine Corps family. My husband just spent a year in Afghanistan.

luckily im single and 20 years old.. so im not too worried about family stuffs
  • JScarbo
    Options
    alright, I am seriously considering joining the guard, but I'm still not sure if I want to go with the army or the air force. Its hard to get an unbiased opinion from recruiters or from friends who are currently in the military.. so just throwing this question out there.

pros and cons: and please, no bashing.

Air Guard. I can promise you that. Spent 4 years active duty Air Force and 4 years Air National Guard at Ellington Field Houston.
    I also spent just enough time in the Army Guard out here to find out the difference.
  • hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options

The reason I'm really interested in the national guard rather than active duty or reserves, is the fact that I serve my community as well. Especially after hurricane sandy and watching people go out to help them, that is what I really want to do. Would I be doing it if i wasnt getting the benefits... perhaps not, but as i said, its not my sole reason for doing it.

This was PRECISELY my reason for joining as well. Pretty much every natural disaster that has taken place, I have volunteered to be activated for. I live in the middle of the country so we don't get much but with the floods that happened last summer, I did get the chance to volunteer for those. We did levee watch. Good on ya :)
  • Javela
    Javela Posts: 134
    Options
    559752_10151236548413224_941710893_n.jpg