Leaning out

Options
Last time I was tested by a doctor (although it was a year and a half ago) I had 116 pounds of lean body mass. I'm about 137-140 now (maybe five or seven pounds less than I was then) and I would ideally like to weigh 125 pounds (and I came to this number because it was my lowest weight when I was the happiest). I had been weight lifting for years with a trainer friend, but she's been away for a while so I've switched up my exercise. Mostly now I do yoga (which honestly makes me feel stronger doing than throwing weights around and I've built new muscles in places that I wasn't hitting as directly with my weights) and I'm starting to run (it's always been a dream of mine to be a runner and I enjoy it, it's not about hitting cardio and as a beginner I'm going really slowly). So basically, I want to lean out. I think this means I have to loose a bit of muscle too, am I right? Because even assuming I've already lost some body mass for the sake of argument, let's say I'm 110 LBM and 30 pounds fat loosing 20 pounds of fat would make my body fat percentage way too low, am I right?

So what should I do? I've stopped lifting heavy so that I don't put on tons of excess muscle and I feel like yoga is enough. I've started to try to eat less protein, is that a bad idea? What types of macros should I follow to cut? Any advice for leaning out would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• trdepalo
    trdepalo Posts: 106
    Options
    Also my diary is open, and I welcome critiques.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Bump. Don't have an answer but I thought I'd let it continue for you!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    To become lean, you need to lose fat.

Leanness has absolutely nothing to do with muscle mass. A person that has never left their bed in life can be lean.

When weight lifting, it is a good idea to go for compound lifts, as they target a wide array of muscles.

So, continue to have a calorie deficit, probably of 250 for half a pound a week since you're close, and lift HEAVY compound lifts to help preserve muscle mass.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Because even assuming I've already lost some body mass for the sake of argument, let's say I'm 110 LBM and 30 pounds fat loosing 20 pounds of fat would make my body fat percentage way too low, am I right?

Assuming that I understand your question correctly, yes, that would be too little fat. As far as I recall, the lowest healthy body fat percentage for women is around 13-15%. If you had 110 pounds of LBM and only 10 pounds of BF, your body fat percentage would be only 8%.

If we go by your previous recorded LBM of 116 pounds, your total weight at 13% BF would be about 133 pounds.

If we go by the estimate you gave of 110 pounds of LBM, your total weight at 13% BF would be about 126 pounds.

I'm sure others can give better how-to advice than I can, but I will say that it is extremely difficult to maintain this low level of body fat. 20% is more typical of healthy women while these very-low percentages tend to be seen in currently-competing elite athletes. Absolutely go for it if it's what you want, but just be aware that it requires a whole lot of dedication and consistency.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want to lean out, you don't want to lose muscle (see below links). The problem I see, is you have probably lost a lot more muscle than you thought. Because even if you were at 20% body fat (which is on the athletic end for women) you would have 108 lbs of lean body mass. When you lose muscle, it means you maintain your fat. If you want to lean out, then you want a high protein diet, a small calorie deficit and light heavy. Also, you will see much greater strength gains doing a program like strong lift 5x5 than you would with yoga. Actually, if you go from SL 5x4 to yoga, you would lose strength as you won't have the extra resistance.

BTW, if you increase steady state cardio, you will increase your caloric needs and you will also increase the ability to catabolize more lean body mass.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My advice? Forget the scale, and understand that you don't need to be the same weight you were before to be just as happy with your body. And don't stop lifting!

I was really happy with how I looked at 120 pounds about 10 years ago, and thought I'd have to be 120 to look that way again. However, I was that weight because I had a really bad jaw problem and couldn't eat and chew normally. I also wasn't very fit. I'm about 15 pounds more than that now. I'm about the same size, and much happier with my body now.

P6170004-copy.jpg

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/realistic-goals-and-expectations-449258
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    So what should I do? I've stopped lifting heavy so that I don't put on tons of excess muscle and I feel like yoga is enough. I've started to try to eat less protein, is that a bad idea? What types of macros should I follow to cut? Any advice for leaning out would be greatly appreciated.

You want to lean up, but your eliminating the tools that make it easier.. Strength training helps keep your lean muscle during a deficit, if you eliminate that and just run, your going to lose weight but also lean muscle.. bigger deficit from running, more lean muscle.. So you may hit your goal weight, but realize you don't look how you want to look cause you burned lean muscle away..
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You should keep lifting heavy, (even if it's a reduced workout so that you have time to do your yoga if you enjoy that) forget about the number 125 and do not cut your protein intake. You should also listen to psulemon's advice, he states it well and provides good links.
  • trdepalo
    Options
    But I feel like I have too much muscle! Is that just not a thing? I still want to be strong and healthy, but I feel like I went too far. I'm not trying to have a sculpted body, I'm 23 and I just want to be able to run for as long as makes me happy and do arm balances and inversions and carry a 50 pound backpack in the mountains. Lifting weights got me out of bed and stopped me from being depressed, but I'm worried I went too far and I'm a bit thicker than I'd like.

Is it just not possible that I gained too much muscle? I just want to drop one dress size and fit into my old clothes again.
  • trdepalo
    Options

See I kinda want to look like Staci at 131 pounds, in her middle size. Yes she looks great when she lifted super heavy, but I don't need to look like that.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think running is a great way to lose the weight you want to lose. I'm 76 and started running again about a year ago. I run 5 to 6 times a week for at least an hour, but usually an hour and 45 mins. Now bear in mind, being old, I run slow!!!

I'd like to add you to my friend list and keep track of your progress! I am also a great motivator and encourager!!

Basil
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    But I feel like I have too much muscle! Is that just not a thing? I still want to be strong and healthy, but I feel like I went too far. I'm not trying to have a sculpted body, I'm 23 and I just want to be able to run for as long as makes me happy and do arm balances and inversions and carry a 50 pound backpack in the mountains. Lifting weights got me out of bed and stopped me from being depressed, but I'm worried I went too far and I'm a bit thicker than I'd like.

Is it just not possible that I gained too much muscle? I just want to drop one dress size and fit into my old clothes again.

if you are too 'thick' then you just need to lose the fat over the muscle.....
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options

[...]

See I kinda want to look like Staci at 131 pounds, in her middle size. Yes she looks great when she lifted super heavy, but I don't need to look like that.
    In that case, I'll update my post from before: there's no way that you want to have that extreme-low body fat. People with those very low levels appear incredibly muscular, and if you're not into that, then it's not going to be for you.

If you feel too "thick," then you likely still have excess body fat that's bothering you. Muscle isn't the enemy here; it assists in burning fat and offers a smoother appearance than fat does. But fat's not bad either, particularly if you don't want a super-toned/muscular look.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Eat a little less. That will keep you from adding muscle. It's hard to advise to stop doing strenght work. because that burns a lot of calories to help you lean out. If you like running and do it a lot, that will certainly keep you from adding too much muscle and keep your "softer" look.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I don't want to offend, but if your profile picture is accurate, you don't look like you have too much muscle - you look healthy. Maybe a small amount of fat to lose, but the muscle is not a problem. I'm hoping you don't have some unrealistic goal to look kind of cartoonishly waif-y?

Something to think about -- your profile says you're 22. And you say you were "happiest" at 125, which I'm assuming was at least a couple years ago? It's pretty fair to assume that you weren't a fully developed adult when you were at that weight. You have curves now that you probably didn't have then, and the fat associated with that isn't going anywhere, assuming you stay healthy

Basically, I think you may need to step back and reevaluate your goals. I think continuing to lift is a good idea, though you could scale it back if you think you're doing too much. If you really think you're larger than you should be, I would bet that you're underestimating your body fat % -- it's not the muscle that's the problem
  • psuLemon
    Options

There is about zero chance you will look like her unless you start eating 3000-4000 calories a day, lifting for 2 hours and concentrating on lean body mass growth.

Unless you were eat a surplus (which I doubt), then you didn't even gain a single lb of muscle. But if you keep a moderate deficit, weight train and do a little cardio, then you will get more lean. As long as you stop around 16-18% body fat, then you wont' see the bulk. I will note, that the more you run, the harder it will be to cut fat, especially if you are doing marathon type running that burns a ton of calories.
  • trdepalo
    Options
    I don't want to offend, but if your profile picture is accurate, you don't look like you have too much muscle - you look healthy. Maybe a small amount of fat to lose, but the muscle is not a problem. I'm hoping you don't have some unrealistic goal to look kind of cartoonishly waif-y?

Something to think about -- your profile says you're 22. And you say you were "happiest" at 125, which I'm assuming was at least a couple years ago? It's pretty fair to assume that you weren't a fully developed adult when you were at that weight. You have curves now that you probably didn't have then, and the fat associated with that isn't going anywhere, assuming you stay healthy

Basically, I think you may need to step back and reevaluate your goals. I think continuing to lift is a good idea, though you could scale it back if you think you're doing too much. If you really think you're larger than you should be, I would bet that you're underestimating your body fat % -- it's not the muscle that's the problem

The profile picture was from two summers ago, I'm maybe 150/5 there (137 now). I went to 125 a couple months after that (and I by no means looked waif-y), right after I went to the doctor who told me my LBM was 116 and put me on a VLCD of 700 a day. I continued to weight train on that, and after 2 months of the VLCD I had lost maybe a couple pounds of LBM (If I recall I went down to 114) but it was almost all fat. I only gained the weight back because I wen't on a backpacking trip for six months and I couldn't eat well. Now I'm trying to lose again, but on my own (can't afford that doctor) and more sustainably. And I'm also sure my BF% was so low then because I didn't get my period for a long time after the VLCD, and I don't want that. So that is why I am coming to the conclusion that if I want fit into my old size 4 clothes (again, not waif-y for my 5'5.5" small frame) I have to lose mostly fat and some muscle because otherwise my BF% is unhealthily low.

Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps it's just all fat I need to loose. But I'm just so confused. Maybe the question should be, what is a healthy LBM for a 5'5.5" small framed women? Then I can calculate pick a healthy BF% and find a better weight goal.
  • psuLemon
    Options

The profile picture was from two summers ago, I'm maybe 150/5 there (137 now). I went to 125 a couple months after that (and I by no means looked waif-y), right after I went to the doctor who told me my LBM was 116 and put me on a VLCD of 700 a day. I continued to weight train on that, and after 2 months of the VLCD I had lost maybe a couple pounds of LBM (If I recall I went down to 114) but it was almost all fat. I only gained the weight back because I wen't on a backpacking trip for six months and I couldn't eat well. Now I'm trying to lose again, but on my own (can't afford that doctor) and more sustainably. And I'm also sure my BF% was so low then because I didn't get my period for a long time after the VLCD, and I don't want that. So that is why I am coming to the conclusion that if I want fit into my old size 4 clothes (again, not waif-y for my 5'5.5" small frame) I have to lose mostly fat and some muscle because otherwise my BF% is unhealthily low.

Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps it's just all fat I need to loose. But I'm just so confused. Maybe the question should be, what is a healthy LBM for a 5'5.5" small framed women? Then I can calculate pick a healthy BF% and find a better weight goal.

If I am reading this right, you said you were 125 lbs and 116 lbs of lbm? If so, I am thinking there was a lot of calculation error on that part. That would put you at 8.5% body fat, which is practically impossible for a girl. Also, vlcd's kill lean body mass, especially in those that are normal weights. And like I showed you above, it's not muscle that makes you look bulky, it's fat.