BMR Frustration

Options
Ok so I eat around 1200-1400 calories a day, lost a lot of weight. I eat 5 times a day, 3 meals and 2 snacks. I make sure that the carbs I am intaking are fruits and vegetables and my sugar and sodium are under control. I also drink a ton of water...and only water. Well I initially lost 73 pounds and fell off the wagon, no excuses just wasn't motivated anymore and sick of it. So I gained 15 back, well I am back. I have been more motivated than ever, I exercise 5-6 times a week and I need to up my calories.

Here's some facts:

I am 24 and 5'2"
SW: 224
CW: 166
GW: 125-130

According to my BMR I am at 1555 http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

When I use this website http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/
my calorie intake should be at 2600. I have been told by professionals and such that in order to lose weight cut back about 200-500 calories, nothing more. So I should be eating around 2000-2100 calories, give or take.

I know I need to eat more because my workouts include strength training and a ton of cardio. It is very unhealthy and dangerous to exercise as much as I do and eat 1200-1400. I also know that I can eat 2600 and it can all be very healthy. However, I just have a hard time wrapping my brain around this because I have NEVER ate 2100 calories unless on a bad day, like when I gained 15 back. =(

Replies

• dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dreamin2bethin
    Options
    Of course it is, I have been eating more because my body needs it. Just figuring out where I should that is healthy for my body.

Thanks for the links to the groups! =)
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

Check out this website. It gives you a range of BMR and TDEE based on height/weight/age and body fat%. You should be able to get a get range by looking at the various options.

Once you have a good range, then finding the perfect level takes a little trial and error. If you are losing too quickly, up your calories. If you aren't losing at a rate you want, them lower them a bit and see if it helps.

Everyone has a different TDEE based on varying BMRs and activity levels. Use your past history, and experimenting to help figure yours out.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    Why are you fighting the suggestion to eat at around 2000? Seems worth a try. Or you could try 1800 for a month, then gradually raise it to 2000.

Only you can figure this out, and you've already got the numbers in front of you, so only you can test the theory. It does get a lot harder to tweak your numbers when you get closer to goal weight. It's easy to lose making all kinds of mistakes when you're over weight by a lot. Much more of a finesse is required when you get closer to a healthy weight. It's trial and error now.

• dreamin2bethin
    Options
    Thanks for the input Debbie and cmriverside!

I am not really fighting the suggestion, well maybe I am...haha. I think I was used to something for so long and change can be scary. But this is for my health and will be very beneficial for me!

My best friend is a Nutritionist and agrees that 1700-1800 is right where I should be. So it is a go, starting today.

It is frustrating because a lot of the websites say something different and give different tips so it is easy to get on the wrong path, so I just wanted to make sure that I take the right one.

• Gapwedge01
    Options
    Ok so I eat around 1200-1400 calories a day, lost a lot of weight. I eat 5 times a day, 3 meals and 2 snacks. I make sure that the carbs I am intaking are fruits and vegetables and my sugar and sodium are under control. I also drink a ton of water...and only water. Well I initially lost 73 pounds and fell off the wagon, no excuses just wasn't motivated anymore and sick of it. So I gained 15 back, well I am back. I have been more motivated than ever, I exercise 5-6 times a week and I need to up my calories.

Here's some facts:

I am 24 and 5'2"
    SW: 224
    CW: 166
    GW: 125-130

According to my BMR I am at 1555 http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

When I use this website http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/
    my calorie intake should be at 2600. I have been told by professionals and such that in order to lose weight cut back about 200-500 calories, nothing more. So I should be eating around 2000-2100 calories, give or take.

I know I need to eat more because my workouts include strength training and a ton of cardio. It is very unhealthy and dangerous to exercise as much as I do and eat 1200-1400. I also know that I can eat 2600 and it can all be very healthy. However, I just have a hard time wrapping my brain around this because I have NEVER ate 2100 calories unless on a bad day, like when I gained 15 back. =(

I agree with the others. Eat more. BTW, the Harris-Benedict formula is probably the least accurate of the formulas out there. Try this one:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and if you know your %BF the Katch-McArdle is by far the best one to use. Find your TDEE and cut back from it but never net below your BMR.
  • dreamin2bethin
    Options

I agree with the others. Eat more. BTW, the Harris-Benedict formula is probably the least accurate of the formulas out there. Try this one:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and if you know your %BF the Katch-McArdle is by far the best one to use. Find your TDEE and cut back from it but never net below your BMR.

Thanks! I will remember to not eat below my BMR, that is VERY important. Yeah my friend Aubrey said the same thing when I messaged her for direction. Thanks again =)
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    First off congratulations on your weight loss! That's fantastic and its very noticeable in the before/after pictures that you have posted. /cheers!

It sounds like you have a great grasp of what you need to do. Eat more. I think the groups listed below is a great place to start. I understand how hard it can be to increase your calories when you have been on a set amount for a long time. For me personally its just as hard to increase my calories from my norm as it is to decrease it. During Triathlon training I increased from 2,500 calories to 4,500+ daily.

A couple things that was successful for me.
    1. Plan how many calories I needed and divide that by the number of meals I was eating. IE: 2,000 calories / 5 meals = 400 calories per meal.
    2. Adjust up slowly. I didn't try to double my calories over night. I did things like add an extra egg or a couple egg whites at 1st breakfast or add a scoop of protein to my oatmeal.
    3. Continue to log and track like normal. I haven't reached my goals yet but I feel really good about my successes.
    4. Know that you may have a small initial weight gain as your body adjusts to the extra fuel. I initially gained 6 pounds over three weeks but then it just fell off.

Good luck!
  • dreamin2bethin
    Options
    First off congratulations on your weight loss! That's fantastic and its very noticeable in the before/after pictures that you have posted. /cheers!

It sounds like you have a great grasp of what you need to do. Eat more. I think the groups listed below is a great place to start. I understand how hard it can be to increase your calories when you have been on a set amount for a long time. For me personally its just as hard to increase my calories from my norm as it is to decrease it. During Triathlon training I increased from 2,500 calories to 4,500+ daily.

A couple things that was successful for me.
    1. Plan how many calories I needed and divide that by the number of meals I was eating. IE: 2,000 calories / 5 meals = 400 calories per meal.
    2. Adjust up slowly. I didn't try to double my calories over night. I did things like add an extra egg or a couple egg whites at 1st breakfast or add a scoop of protein to my oatmeal.
    3. Continue to log and track like normal. I haven't reached my goals yet but I feel really good about my successes.
    4. Know that you may have a small initial weight gain as your body adjusts to the extra fuel. I initially gained 6 pounds over three weeks but then it just fell off.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the awesome tips and advice, I will definitely adjust slowly and plan! Thank you, thank you! =)