Heart rate?????

Options
lculian
lculian Posts: 313 Member
I have been working out regularly and my endurance and recovery rate are improving, but I'm confused about what heart rate I should target to help melt my " belly jelly"

Some things I've read say 120-140bpm and other say 160-170 what will work, does anyone really know????

Replies

• DanielleRae86
    DanielleRae86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fitness expert by any means, but I saw just a few days ago on Runner's World that you should aim for your maximum heart rate which is 205 minus half your age.
  • Murdog
    Murdog Posts: 70
    Options
    I just read an article in the latest issue of Runner's World about this very thing. I believe a study shown that one's heart rate needs to be a little higher than the fat burning percentage. I believe the fat burning stage is around 65% of the max heart rate. You could probably go to Runner'sworld.com and find the article. I'm thumbing through it right now. Figures, I can't find it.:angry: But, I promise I read it. If someone knows for sure, and I'm off base--please correct me. Thanks!!:smile:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    do not "aim FOR your max".
    Your max is just that, your MAX. Try to work out at that intensity and you could collapse.

Fat burning is best at 60-70% of your max, 70-80% is for strengthening the heart and lungs, and for increasing endurance, which also burns mostly fat, and the 80-90% range is hard-core training for real athletes, but you get less fat-burning in that range.

A vague rough estimate of your max is 220 - your age, but that's just an estimate, everyone is different.
  • DanielleRae86
    DanielleRae86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks for the clarification - that does make much more sense!