Help with potassium

Options
I'm new to this site (one week) and I have a major problem with my potassium. I am currently eating 1,200 calories daily. I have a medium sized banana for my morning and afternoon snacks as well as yogart for evening snack. I can never eat enough to get my potassium higher. Any suggestions? I have to take what I call "fat pills" (blood pressure, potassium, cholesterol) and am working to end these. I do 30 minutes of walking every day as well. Help!

Replies

• kkochend
    kkochend Posts: 27
    Options
    I have the same issue! I googled foods high in potassium and there are some helpful lists and charts out there. Apricots seems to be one of the higher potassium foods.
  • chillie99
    Options
    From a medical standpoint if you are on a blood pressure pill with a diuretic in it, then that is likely what is depleating your potassium. This is why you have to take a potassium pill with it. As you loose weight and become healthier your blood pressure problems should resolve unless there is another underlying cause for it and you would no longer need to take the blood pressure medication or the potassium. It is also possible to get off your cholesterol medication if you make a big enough dietary change and there is not a large genetic component.

Hope this helps and good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Tomatoes, oat bran, cantaloupe, mangoes, lima beans, pears, cucumbers, artichokes, baby carrots, strawberries, spinach, potatoes, and mushrooms all come to mind, as far as potassium rich foods go, but there's lots more. As long as you're getting 5+ servings of fruits and veggies a day you definitely shouldn't have any problems =)
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    That's really interesting chillie99, I had no idea blood pressure pills could do that =/
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is very high in potassium.
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    Thank you to all, very helpful!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Bump to add to my list! Good info in here! Thanks.